Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 07, 2019, 12:19:25 PM

The Nocturnes that I listened to were in mono (but still sounded SOOO good!).

I can say it now. ;) Ansermet was in his prime when your Nocturnes was recorded. I much prefer the performance to his later stereo remake. When Decca rereleased the mono Nocturnes on Ace of Clubs they paired it with La Mer.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on February 07, 2019, 07:26:31 AM
That is one of my all-time favourite Mozart records, I still have the LP. I look forward to hearing what you think of it.

Not bad is it. ;D Definitely no problems of balance on this recording. The slightly soft-focused Philips orchestral sound in this case works to the music's advantage (lost in digital transfer?). Nothing soft-focused in the piano sound, the engineers did a magnificent job. Stephen Bishop's playing is stunning, the "Elvira Madigan" movement is one of those rare moments listening to recorded music where time seems to stop still. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on February 08, 2019, 01:29:36 AM
Not bad is it. ;D Defiantly no problems of balance on this recording. The slightly soft-focused Philips orchestral sound in this case works to the music's advantage (lost in digital transfer?). Nothing soft-focused in the piano sound, the engineers did a magnificent job. Stephen Bishop's playing is stunning, the "Elvira Madigan" movement is one of those rare moments listening to recorded music where time seems to stop still.

Glad you enjoyed it. K503 is probably my favourite Mozart Piano Concerto though I love K467 as well (for me, free of any filmic associations).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 08, 2019, 01:29:36 AM
Not bad is it. ;D Definitely no problems of balance on this recording. The slightly soft-focused Philips orchestral sound in this case works to the music's advantage (lost in digital transfer?). Nothing soft-focused in the piano sound, the engineers did a magnificent job. Stephen Bishop's playing is stunning, the "Elvira Madigan" movement is one of those rare moments listening to recorded music where time seems to stop still.
Will keep an eye out for it..but on Philips proper.  Not certain what you mean about 'lost in digital transfer'?.  The one that I had was recorded in either 1972 or '74?  Or were you referring to the Mozart recordings?  If so, when were they recorded?  I did (as I mentioned earlier) enjoy the performance on my Columbia album.  Took a close look at it again and saw more damage than I had first noticed.  In any event, I'd like to get a copy of that SBK album but on Philips.  'Soft-focused' is probably a nice way to describe the orchestral-part of the miking/recording/mixing/engineering.   :)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Some new LP finds today (see New Purchases thread if you're interested).

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on February 07, 2019, 07:32:26 AM
That was literally the third classical LP that I ever purchased. I still consider it one of the finest recordings I have owned (I have it on CD now, which doesn't seem to have the same silky smoothness as my memory of the LP.

PD. I was addressing the above with "lost in digital transfer".

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 09, 2019, 02:45:34 PM
Some new LP finds today (see New Purchases thread if you're interested).

Best,

PD

You are on a roll!

Tatrai are self recommendable. They recorded all Haydn Quartets. Op. 77 No.1 is one of my favourites.

I do not own that one but collect all Marriner's Argo recordings when I find them.

Do own the Decca Curzon Beethoven/Schubert. Which is a bit of a "collectable". ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 10, 2019, 01:11:13 AM

PD. I was addressing the above with "lost in digital transfer".
Ah, thanks for the clarification! :-)

P
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 10, 2019, 02:49:50 AM
You are on a roll!

Tatrai are self recommendable. They recorded all Haydn Quartets. Op. 77 No.1 is one of my favourites.

I do not own that one but collect all Marriner's Argo recordings when I find them.

Do own the Decca Curzon Beethoven/Schubert. Which is a bit of a "collectable". ;)
;D  I do have a bunch of their Haydn recordings on CD which I enjoy, but I didn't have that one so am looking forward to listening to it.

You mean that I actually managed to find an Argo LP that *The Great Irons doesn't own?!

*meant with affection and great admiration of course.

The friend that I went with yesterday to do a few errands (and also have some fun poking around in the stores/shops) wants to go to yet ANOTHER one today!  Help!!! ;)  I might pass though as I have a bunch of things which I would like to do today.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Talking of Argo, I have been after this recording for some time.

A copy purchased through eBay is on its way. A second try, the first (not eBay) an excessive noisy copy. I did expect to pay more which although listed as "near mint" I am worried that this is too good to be true. An "oval" Argo label so fairly old. I have used the seller before a few times and he let me down once with a poor copy not described as such. Very much fingers crossed.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 10, 2019, 07:15:32 AM
Talking of Argo, I have been after this recording for some time.

A copy purchased through eBay is on its way. A second try, the first (not eBay) an excessive noisy copy. I did expect to pay more which although listed as "near mint" I am worried that this is too good to be true. An "oval" Argo label so fairly old. I have used the seller before a few times and he let me down once with a poor copy not described as such. Very much fingers crossed.
Let us know how it comes out Irons.  By the way, do you happen to know whether or not the seller listens to any of the recordings (or samples) first?  Or just by eyesight?  Good luck! :)

By the way, I did succumb to the (short) road trip with my friend.  Turns out the store was closed!  Just as well....another day.  I did play the Debussy side for him (of that Ansermet album mentioned earlier); he enjoyed it!

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 11, 2019, 04:13:07 AM

By the way, I did succumb to the (short) road trip with my friend.  Turns out the store was closed!  Just as well....another day.  I did play the Debussy side for him (of that Ansermet album mentioned earlier); he enjoyed it!

A fine recording. I like the cover of the reissue which makes me feel nostalgic. The cover of Boult's stereo "Wand of Youth" on EMI has the same effect.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on February 11, 2019, 07:25:49 AM
A fine recording. I like the cover of the reissue which makes me feel nostalgic. The cover of Boult's stereo "Wand of Youth" on EMI has the same effect.

Nice photo!  :-)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

XB-70 Valkyrie

[CAUTION: Non-classical content]

Locally, found a Frank Sinatra (Where are You?) Capitol, late 50s, stereo. Capitol stereos (And monos for that matter) from this era sounded incredible! Some very nice songs here, but not his famous stuff (which I already have). I'm not a Sinatra fanatic, but I do greatly appreciate his artistry. I was not specifically looking for his records, but something in good condition of his from this era has a ton of warmth and character. Speaking of warmth and character... 

Also found a 10" George Shearing (When Lights Are Low) MGM, early 50s. Cute as hell.

I need to find another one or two classical pieces before I take my next batch of LPs up to my audio dealer for cleaning. I have been perusing eBay, but am not really all that fired up about anything. May buy a Ginette Doyen playing Chabrier, or possibly Faure sonatas with Jean Fournier. Soviet-era Melodiyas of Sofronitsky and Gilels are also tempting...
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on February 13, 2019, 09:50:26 PM
[CAUTION: Non-classical content]

Locally, found a Frank Sinatra (Where are You?) Capitol, late 50s, stereo. Capitol stereos (And monos for that matter) from this era sounded incredible! Some very nice songs here, but not his famous stuff (which I already have). I'm not a Sinatra fanatic, but I do greatly appreciate his artistry. I was not specifically looking for his records, but something in good condition of his from this era has a ton of warmth and character. Speaking of warmth and character... 

Also found a 10" George Shearing (When Lights Are Low) MGM, early 50s. Cute as hell.

I need to find another one or two classical pieces before I take my next batch of LPs up to my audio dealer for cleaning. I have been perusing eBay, but am not really all that fired up about anything. May buy a Ginette Doyen playing Chabrier, or possibly Faure sonatas with Jean Fournier. Soviet-era Melodiyas of Sofronitsky and Gilels are also tempting...

Congrats!   :)  A few years back, I had found an old Sinatra LP...wonderful singing...sound, but alas, it was too damaged so I ended up throwing it out--sadly.   :'(

Re:  cleaning...good for you!  Alas, I'm stuck with doing the dirty work myself (use an Okki Nokki).

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

More of a Dean Martin man myself. Hic.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 14, 2019, 04:09:15 AM
Congrats!   :)  A few years back, I had found an old Sinatra LP...wonderful singing...sound, but alas, it was too damaged so I ended up throwing it out--sadly.   :'(

Re:  cleaning...good for you!  Alas, I'm stuck with doing the dirty work myself (use an Okki Nokki).

Best,

PD

Hi,

The greatest Sinatra ever IMO is the one on Reprise with Antonio Carlos Jobim. Be sure to get the stereo. The record is not rare, and you should be able to get a near mint copy for $10 or so.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Irons on February 14, 2019, 06:48:53 AM
More of a Dean Martin man myself. Hic.

Haven't listened to much Dean Martin, but I think Tony Bennett is at least as great as Sinatra. I recently digitized one of his LPs with Bill Evans, and I think some of these songs and his interpretations transcend pop and jazz idiom to rise to the level of high art.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on February 14, 2019, 12:14:16 PM
Hi,

The greatest Sinatra ever IMO is the one on Reprise with Antonio Carlos Jobim. Be sure to get the stereo. The record is not rare, and you should be able to get a near mint copy for $10 or so.

Thank you for the suggestion and the accompanying photo; I'll keep an eye out for it.  Speaking of Tony Bennett, I ran across a double-CD of his recordings at a charity shop (in fine shape) for $1.99.  Looking forward to listening to it.

You gents might appreciate this:  some time ago, I ran across a 10" LP of Benny Goodman and Rosemary Clooney which I cleaned and was in fairly decent shape considering everything.  Fun to listen to.  It's this one: 

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

A question for all of you vinyl lovers:  Today, I cleaned and played an old Columbia EntrĂ© record with Aleco Galliera conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra in Debussy's La Mer, Faune, and Ravel's Intro and Allegro for Harp.  I'm sure looking at who all is playing on this LP that surely it must have been recorded in the UK?  Haven't been able to find a listing though.  I would have thought that Columbia must have licensed the rights from someone?  Is it from a combo of albums too?  Was disappointed that the LP was too damaged--for me anyway.   :(

Anyone know here the story behind it?  Here's an image of the one that I have (and which will be leaving my possession): 

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter