Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Irons on May 27, 2019, 12:57:41 AM
It doesn't seem possible that it is coming up forty years that Hogwood and The Academy of Ancient Music recorded a complete set of Mozart Symphonies for L'Oiseau-Lyre. I have always admired the performances and slowly collected them over the years. Due to the Decca New Malden vinyl pressing plant closing down in 1980 and all production moved to Holland it follows, or so I thought, the whole series are in Dutch pressings. I had a double take when last week I happened across volume 3 in New Malden pressings. A lot is said on the differences of sound between Dutch and English pressed Decca issues, something I do not concern myself with as much as I once did, but the difference in presentation here is much larger then I would have imagined. The orchestra is more close-up, more immediate and at the same time seems smaller in number. The A of AM has a distant perspective and the sound reverberant and less clear in the Dutch pressing. I surmise that volume 3 was the first (1979) volume from Hogwood and one of the last to be pressed at New Malden, subsequent pressings of the same set were Dutch. An early pressing run will always result in better sound anyway. Recording venue and production team remained the same for the whole series.

Hard for me to imagine that changing the pressing plant would alter the apparent recording perspective and make the recording more reverberant. I suspect that those early recordings were just engineered a bit differently.

I have the who series on CD in a big box set and I must say it is the least interesting Mozart series I own. Way to distant and reverberant, fussy playing with weak dynamic contrasts. I can't think of any Mozart I like less. I never heard any of it when it was on LP, however.

ritter

Quote from: Mandryka on May 27, 2019, 08:20:23 PM
Paris has the best second hand CD shop I know, Melomania on Boulevard St Germain. If I were you I'd go in there and ask them.

Every Sunday morning there's a very big flea market close to the Vanves metro station, it's always full of LPs.

Gibert Jeune in the 5th arrondissement may be worth trying, it's very close to Melomania in fact.  Again they're a big academic second hand book shop and I've seen CDs there I'm sure - if they don't have LPs they'll put you on to good places.
I've  never been to Melomania, but it's been rated very highly by friends of mine.

The FNAC in the Rue de Ternes in the 17ème has an excellent classical section.

Also interesting is La Dame Blanche, 47 Rue de la Montagne Sainte Geneviève, in the 5ème.

I haven't bought CDs at Gibert Jeune in Paris, but in Lyon they had a good selection of secondhand classical CDs. For books, of course, Gibert Jeune is a must. And then, the Librairie Gallimard on the Blvd. Raspail is a temple for French literature.

Have a good trip!

Irons

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on May 29, 2019, 09:06:21 AM
Hard for me to imagine that changing the pressing plant would alter the apparent recording perspective and make the recording more reverberant. I suspect that those early recordings were just engineered a bit differently.

I have the who series on CD in a big box set and I must say it is the least interesting Mozart series I own. Way to distant and reverberant, fussy playing with weak dynamic contrasts. I can't think of any Mozart I like less. I never heard any of it when it was on LP, however.

I'm getting the impression you are not keen then.😛

Seriously, up to a point I agree with you.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

I am told that Yuja Wang is a major artist of the present generation. DG are scheduling this release on vinyl in July.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Back from France and found a single LP I wanted in Paris, at Boulinier in the 6th Arr. The prized find is Paul Badura-Skoda playing Beethoven Sonata No. 32, Op. 111 on Opus/Harmonia Mundia 10". I likely could have found additional items if I looked longer, but didn't want to take up too much time record hunting, nor did I want to add more weight to the luggage (incl. books bought over there) we hauled endlessly between planes, trains, buses, rental cars, and up decrepit, narrow, wooden, spiral staircases constructed three centuries ago. Also, at CDG, if your luggage is overweight, the airlines will extract their pound of flesh, and not only in money (fortunately, we avoided the worst of this)!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Irons

Scratching my head a bit with this one. In the 1970's EMI wrongly thinking that quadraphonic sound would be the next big thing released a whole swathe of recordings in this format. Thankfully for them the records were stereo compatible although pressed with four channels. When EMI realized the buying public were not keen on the idea of extra expense of a SQ decoder and two extra speakers EMI quietly reverted back to stereo.

Fremaux's "Le Cid" has long been a demonstration recording par excellence due to vivid sound. It sold well and although plentiful today commands a decent price. Many copies have passed through my hands but I have never seen a quadraphonic issue - until last week! It is my understanding that a four track cannot be applied retrospectively, the process takes place as early as the recording itself and pressing of the "mother". I can only think EMI were pressing records in four channels as early as 1971 or earlier although the records were titled and sold as stereo. 

Irons

Jokes along the lines of best place for them not allowed. 8)

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on August 18, 2019, 01:06:03 AM

Jokes along the lines of best place for them not allowed. 8)

We are in the process of decorating at the moment. I wonder what my good lady wife would say if I recommended that as an option. On the other hand......perhaps I will keep my recommendations to myself.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on August 18, 2019, 02:05:13 AM
We are in the process of decorating at the moment. I wonder what my good lady wife would say if I recommended that as an option. On the other hand......perhaps I will keep my recommendations to myself.

Maybe best. ;) There is also the worry that sitting up in bed enjoying a cuppa you find yourself stuck to the headboard by static!

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on August 18, 2019, 11:28:45 PM
Maybe best. ;) There is also the worry that sitting up in bed enjoying a cuppa you find yourself stuck to the headboard by static!

Oh no, they would be cleaned every day with a carbon fibre brush and washed once a week on my record cleaning machine  ;D

Irons

Brahms: Violin Concerto.

During the 1990's Testament released every quarter a facsimile of a recording from the "golden age" through the classical music magazine ICRC as it was called then. All issues are 100% analogue, cut on to lacquer at EMI's Abbey Road and hand pressed on 180 virgin vinyl at the original EMI Hayes pressing plant. At the time they went for £14.95 inclusive of postage.

I collected them all avidly which since has proved a very good investment. Most, although not all are violin concerto recordings. Best in my view is the Kogan Brahms VC which I listened yesterday. An original would cost a small fortune and beyond reach of most (sensible) collectors. The Testament issue sounds superb with a CD-quiet pressing.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on September 19, 2019, 12:12:04 AM
Brahms: Violin Concerto.

During the 1990's Testament released every quarter a facsimile of a recording from the "golden age" through the classical music magazine ICRC as it was called then. All issues are 100% analogue, cut on to lacquer at EMI's Abbey Road and hand pressed on 180 virgin vinyl at the original EMI Hayes pressing plant. At the time they went for £14.95 inclusive of postage.

I collected them all avidly which since has proved a very good investment. Most, although not all are violin concerto recordings. Best in my view is the Kogan Brahms VC which I listened yesterday. An original would cost a small fortune and beyond reach of most (sensible) collectors. The Testament issue sounds superb with a CD-quiet pressing.

What a nice pension pot for you  8)

Seriously, it is very nice to own something of a unique collection like that.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on September 19, 2019, 08:21:58 AM
What a nice pension pot for you  8)

Seriously, it is very nice to own something of a unique collection like that.

The kids will get any financial gain. The problem, and I'm sure it is for you too, is that any vinyl collection is a pyramid of which the tip is worth serious money the rest in monetary terms is pretty much worthless. When I go to the great listening room in the sky how will my family know which have value? I shudder when I think my record collection could end in landfill.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on September 19, 2019, 11:41:22 PM
The kids will get any financial gain. The problem, and I'm sure it is for you too, is that any vinyl collection is a pyramid of which the tip is worth serious money the rest in monetary terms is pretty much worthless. When I go to the great listening room in the sky how will my family know which have value? I shudder when I think my record collection could end in landfill.

I actually have had this discussion with my daughter. Obviously she is aware of eBay and I am currently logging my collection onto Discogs for her to give her another option. That way I am listing the vast bulk of my collection for her and she can add that tool for the then current value of any item.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on September 20, 2019, 08:13:58 AM
I actually have had this discussion with my daughter. Obviously she is aware of eBay and I am currently logging my collection onto Discogs for her to give her another option. That way I am listing the vast bulk of my collection for her and she can add that tool for the then current value of any item.

You are way ahead of me! I am aware of Discogs, of course, but how can a collection be listed there? Sounds a plan.  8)

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on September 20, 2019, 10:11:56 AM
You are way ahead of me! I am aware of Discogs, of course, but how can a collection be listed there? Sounds a plan.  8)

Register with Discogs and simply start logging your collection.
If you have any problems or questions do not hesitate to PM me.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on September 20, 2019, 10:47:42 AM
Register with Discogs and simply start logging your collection.
If you have any problems or questions do not hesitate to PM me.

I had no idea.......I will be away for a bit, on return will begin the process. Excellent idea, thanks.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on September 20, 2019, 01:27:40 PM
I had no idea.......I will be away for a bit, on return will begin the process. Excellent idea, thanks.

Cheers and enjoy your trip.