Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Has anyone else here purchased any new LPs lately?  If so, any special finds?   :)

Recent(ish) finds for me:

Martinu Sonatas Nos. 1-3
Liszt Sonata in B minor and Schumann Fantasia in C Major with Alicia de Larrocha on London (English pressing)
Hindemith Die 7 Kammermusiken

Hermann Prey singt Lieder von Carl Maria von Weber on Odeon
Stravinsky Pulcinella and Apollon Musagète

Stravinsky Le Sacre du Printemps for piano 2 hands on BIS with Dag Achatz
and also his Le Rossignol conducted by him on CBS

What have the rest of you been up to?   :)

Best,

PD

EDIT:  Now if I could just figure out how/where to find images that aren't so huge!   ???

Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 12, 2020, 05:37:52 AM

EDIT:  Now if I could just figure out how/where to find images that aren't so huge!   ???

You would need to edit the first img tag of each image address to img width=250 between the [ ] or any number to suit. usually 250 or 300 works fine.

Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 12, 2020, 06:24:22 AM
You would need to edit the first img tag of each image address to img width=250 between the [ ] or any number to suit. usually 250 or 300 works fine.

Thank you!   ;D
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 12, 2020, 05:37:52 AM
Has anyone else here purchased any new LPs lately?  If so, any special finds?   :)

Recent(ish) finds for me:

Martinu Sonatas Nos. 1-3
Liszt Sonata in B minor and Schumann Fantasia in C Major with Alicia de Larrocha on London (English pressing)
Hindemith Die 7 Kammermusiken

Hermann Prey singt Lieder von Carl Maria von Weber on Odeon
Stravinsky Pulcinella and Apollon Musagète

Stravinsky Le Sacre du Printemps for piano 2 hands on BIS with Dag Achatz
and also his Le Rossignol conducted by him on CBS

What have the rest of you been up to?   :)

Best,

PD

Yes, I got a cheapo LP player for Christmas:

[/img]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Also these:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

I know very little of Korngold's music but a fellow member here introduced me extracts from "Die Tote Stadt". I immediately fell in love with the sound world and ordered this set

I am eagerly awaiting its arrival.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on February 12, 2020, 07:33:26 AM

That was one of my earliest introductions to Scandanavian Music. Enjoy  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 12, 2020, 07:27:26 AM
Yes, I got a cheapo LP player for Christmas:

I'm rather envious of your possession of a nice VW album Vandermolen!

What kind of LP player did you get?  Your image didn't take.  And perhaps you could swap it with your daughter (as I hear that she owns a nice one?   ;)

You've been busy buying too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on February 12, 2020, 07:53:54 AM
I know very little of Korngold's music but a fellow member here introduced me extracts from "Die Tote Stadt". I immediately fell in love with the sound world and ordered this set

I haven't listened to any Korngold in ages...must revisit!  By the way, is your avatar's image your lunch or your dinner platter?  Sorry, I couldn't resist!   :D

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on February 12, 2020, 07:55:51 AM
That was one of my earliest introductions to Scandanavian Music. Enjoy  8)
Thanks Fergus. It's a fabulous disc (both works). Oddly enough I have never been aware that this LP existed. It features two of my favourite 20th Century symphonies in classic recordings. I do own a similar looking LP featuring Rosenberg's fine Symphony No. 6 'Semplice' with Blomdahl's 'Facetter' Symphony - a happy discovery from my early twenties, purchased in Notting Hill Gate in London:

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 12, 2020, 08:49:19 AM
I'm rather envious of your possession of a nice VW album Vandermolen!

What kind of LP player did you get?  Your image didn't take.  And perhaps you could swap it with your daughter (as I hear that she owns a nice one?   ;)

You've been busy buying too!

PD
Yes, my daughter has a very nice German Dual turntable (unused as far as I'm aware). I'm embarrassed to admit, in this company, that my new one is an 'ION' but I have to admit that it's better than expected and I'm having great fun playing LPs after a 30 year or so gap:

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 12, 2020, 08:52:55 AM

By the way, is your avatar's image your lunch or your dinner platter?  Sorry, I couldn't resist!   :D

Best wishes,

PD

Both but only at weekends  ;D

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on February 12, 2020, 09:28:19 AM
Yes, my daughter has a very nice German Dual turntable (unused as far as I'm aware). I'm embarrassed to admit, in this company, that my new one is an 'ION' but I have to admit that it's better than expected and I'm having great fun playing LPs after a 30 year or so gap:

Nice to be back handling and playing the Black Stuff I am sure Jeffrey  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on February 12, 2020, 09:53:06 AM
Nice to be back handling and playing the Black Stuff I am sure Jeffrey  8)
Very much so Fergus. There is a tactile aspect of retrieving the LP from the inner sleeve and having to turn it over half-way through that I have missed. It's a bit like going back in time.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 12, 2020, 01:17:31 PM
Very much so Fergus. There is a tactile aspect of retrieving the LP from the inner sleeve and having to turn it over half-way through that I have missed. It's a bit like going back in time.
Does yours have an auto-return?  Must admit, that's the one thing that I miss with mine at times!  Pleased to hear that you're using it and enjoying it.   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Wanderer

Quote from: aligreto on February 12, 2020, 07:53:54 AM

You're in for such a treat.  0:)

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 13, 2020, 05:23:18 AM
Does yours have an auto-return?  Must admit, that's the one thing that I miss with mine at times!  Pleased to hear that you're using it and enjoying it.   :)

Thank you. No auto-return. You have to lift the needle off with a small lever and manually return it to its resting place. When I was still living at home with my parents my cat once jumped onto the turntable while it was in operation and went whizzing round with the record. I don't think that the LP ever recovered.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on February 13, 2020, 09:24:00 AM
Thank you. No auto-return. You have to lift the needle off with a small lever and manually return it to its resting place. When I was still living at home with my parents my cat once jumped onto the turntable while it was in operation and went whizzing round with the record. I don't think that the LP ever recovered.

Did the cat?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on February 13, 2020, 10:38:52 AM
Did the cat?
The cat was fine although she looked rather startled - she was very dopey but affectionate. I recently bought a 'toy clockwork mouse' to entertain my present cat. However, when I received it looked more like a large black bubonic-plague rat. When I  first got it going my cat was terrified and flew straight out of the cat flap. My wife was terrified of the 'clockwork mouse' as well.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on February 13, 2020, 10:47:06 AM
The cat was fine although she looked rather startled - she was very dopey but affectionate. I recently bought a 'toy clockwork mouse' to entertain my present cat. However, when I received it looked more like a large black bubonic-plague rat. When I  first got it going my cat was terrified and flew straight out of the cat flap. My wife was terrified of the 'clockwork mouse' as well.

I suspect that she was wondering "What strange animal is that which spins around and around and around?"  Glad that cat was o.k.; a bummer about the LP though....hope that it wasn't a favorite of yours?  Or too soon to have even have been able to figure that out as your beloved launched herself onto it shortly after you had lowered the needle?

And the lengths that we will go to to entertain our 'babies'!   ;D

Best wishes,

PD

PD
Pohjolas Daughter