Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on February 13, 2020, 11:12:00 AM
I suspect that she was wondering "What strange animal is that which spins around and around and around?"  Glad that cat was o.k.; a bummer about the LP though....hope that it wasn't a favorite of yours?  Or too soon to have even have been able to figure that out as your beloved launched herself onto it shortly after you had lowered the needle?

And the lengths that we will go to to entertain our 'babies'!   ;D

Best wishes,

PD

PD
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

I subscribe to the theory that eventually they will always turn up but Lyrita SRCS. 126 has tested this to the limit. Not prepared to pay £50+ on eBay but it has taken a long time coming - over 10 years! At last stumbled across a copy, not cheap or silly money either. The one Lyrita desired above all others and the rarest I believe, so delighted.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 10, 2020, 07:54:50 AM
I subscribe to the theory that eventually they will always turn up but Lyrita SRCS. 126 has tested this to the limit. Not prepared to pay £50+ on eBay but it has taken a long time coming - over 10 years! At last stumbled across a copy, not cheap or silly money either. The one Lyrita desired above all others and the rarest I believe, so delighted.

Congratulations Irons!   :)  Did you find it in a shop or online?  Hope that it's in mint condition and most of all that you enjoy the music!

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

My replacement turntable turned up today (no pun intended) and this one seems to play at the right speed, also I've noticed that the sound is better quality through headphones. Nice to be playing some LPs again. This evening it was Rawsthorne's Piano Concerto No.2

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 10, 2020, 12:33:11 PM
My replacement turntable turned up today (no pun intended) and this one seems to play at the right speed, also I've noticed that the sound is better quality through headphones. Nice to be playing some LPs again. This evening it was Rawsthorne's Piano Concerto No.2

Yeah!  Scary that the first one died so quickly though.  How many months had you had it for?  Hope that this one is sturdier and will be a faithful servant unto you and your LPs.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 10, 2020, 02:38:59 PM
Yeah!  Scary that the first one died so quickly though.  How many months had you had it for?  Hope that this one is sturdier and will be a faithful servant unto you and your LPs.   :)

PD
Thanks PD. Only had it since Christmas but it is a cheap turntable so I'm not expecting Bang and Olufsen. Amazon replaced it immediately and thanks for the good wishes.
Latest acquisition and ancient 10" LP of Robert Simpson's First Symphony:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on March 10, 2020, 12:33:11 PM

After you said you were ordering I gave the LP a spin. I preferred Lympany's recording of the first concerto.

I have never heard vinyl through headphones.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 10, 2020, 09:35:27 AM
Congratulations Irons!   :)  Did you find it in a shop or online?  Hope that it's in mint condition and most of all that you enjoy the music!

Best wishes,

PD

At an Oxfam store, P. The trouble with Google is everyone has it and they did their homework. But still a bargain and I would willingly have paid more for it.

The condition for both cover and record is as new, plays superbly.

Walter Leigh is not a great loss to music through war as Butterworth was. His music is light and enjoyable if not distinguished. The Harpsichord Concerto is a fine piece though.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on March 10, 2020, 07:54:50 AM

Good for you. It is wonderful when a collector finally tracks down something that they have been hunting for a long time.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on March 11, 2020, 08:58:18 AM
Good for you. It is wonderful when a collector finally tracks down something that they have been hunting for a long time.
I agree. I also find that Harpsichord Concerto, especially it's slow movement, rather touching. I prefer the Neville Dilkes recording.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2020, 11:41:13 AM
I agree. I also find that Harpsichord Concerto, especially it's slow movement, rather touching. I prefer the Neville Dilkes recording.

Jeffrey, impressive that Dilkes himself plays the harpsichord part.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 11, 2020, 12:25:17 PM
Jeffrey, impressive that Dilkes himself plays the harpsichord part.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten that Lol. I'm sorry that we don't hear more of Neville Dilkes. His Moeran Symphony is my favourite recording of that great score.

Ratliff

Is this a thread for laments? There is only one piece of vinyl I can think of that I love, and that has never been on CD.

I rashly donated it, thinking I had a digital transfer of it on my hard disc. Now I can't find the digital transfer! Gone forever.  :'(

vandermolen

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 11, 2020, 04:26:00 PM
Is this a thread for laments? There is only one piece of vinyl I can think of that I love, and that has never been on CD.

I rashly donated it, thinking I had a digital transfer of it on my hard disc. Now I can't find the digital transfer! Gone forever.  :'(

I just misread the title as 'Coronavirus Wien'  :o
My paranoia I suspect.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2020, 10:20:32 PM
I just misread the title as 'Coronavirus Wien'  :o
My paranoia I suspect.

I'm praying that football grounds are closed this weekend. My son is working and I have promised my grandson I will take him. I don't want to go!

Irons

What about all the stuff you haven't heard because it has never been on CD but would love if you did - if you follow my drift  ::)

prémont

This picture is precisely (I can name most of the musicians) how I saw them perform among others Bach's first orchestral suite (two oboes, bassoon, strings and continuo) in 1964. Very nostalgic. Thanks for posting it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

prémont

Quote from: aligreto on November 24, 2019, 07:31:51 AM
Most likely it is a function of ageing eyes in my case but I find certain LP labels difficult to read. I find them dark and fussy. It can sometimes be difficult for me to even determine which is Side 1. Other labels on the other hand are clear as a bell and present their information easily and readily.

Not a vinylhead, but I have problems with some CDs for the same reason and particularly problems with the booklets. The letters on the rear side of the LP covers were usually readable.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Oh, no!  Perhaps you could find a good but inexpensive copy online?  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 12, 2020, 12:32:21 AM
I'm praying that football grounds are closed this weekend. My son is working and I have promised my grandson I will take him. I don't want to go!
More and more things/events are being cancelled here in the States Irons; I think that it would be more than fair (particularly knowing how much you love your football--not to mention your grandson) to have a talk with his parents.

Pres. Trump has now even issued a travel ban!   ???

PD
Pohjolas Daughter