Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on March 19, 2020, 05:50:05 AM
Very interesting as a life long advocate of the relationship between von Karajan and the music of Strauss.

Karajan, Strauss and Decca is a heady mix. There is another issue of a double LP of Muti conducting Mozart symphonies. I do fancy the Karajan though.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

XB-70 Valkyrie

Quote from: Irons on March 15, 2020, 01:20:45 AM
Unable to offer much advice but I would certainly plump for the cheaper set. I have a few Intercord issues and the German pressings are very good indeed. I don't think you can go wrong here.

They are licensed from Westminster   https://www.bach-cantatas.com/NVP/Demus.htm

Thanks for your thoughts. My interest in buying any kind of goodies has kind of evaporated with the events of the last week or so. WE are OK on money for the time being (although my wife's place of employment is shuttered for the time being), but I am being very careful because obviously everything is up in the air at this point. Also cancelled our upcoming week's vacation to SF Bay Area and Central Coast--sucks, but these are first world problems in the grand scheme of things. ANd, I have a ton of unheard disks (CDs, LPs) lying around the house.

I hope all you other vinyl lovers are doing OK!!

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Irons

Don't see many around these days but some good stuff released on the EMI Greensleeve mid-price label. Pretty labels too.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 25, 2020, 12:37:36 AM
Don't see many around these days but some good stuff released on the EMI Greensleeve mid-price label. Pretty labels too.

Cool artwork!  ;D  Thank you for sharing that Irons!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 25, 2020, 12:37:36 AM

I remember that fine old LP!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Where does HMV Greensleeve fit into the HMV pantheon?

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 25, 2020, 12:21:39 PM
Where does HMV Greensleeve fit into the HMV pantheon?

Trust you are keeping well, P.

A mid-price label I would guess the vinyl equivalent of the "British Composers" series EMI released on CD. A mixture of new releases and re-issues made up the catalogue. I have noticed the prices hold up well, for example the Haendel VC of Britten/Walton is just as desirable on Greensleeves as full price EMI. Does not delve into the repertoire as Lyrita but masses of good recordings can be had. The series lasted a long time, right up to the "Large dog" period on the cusp of CD, see below.

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on March 26, 2020, 12:53:35 AM
Trust you are keeping well, P.

A mid-price label I would guess the vinyl equivalent of the "British Composers" series EMI released on CD. A mixture of new releases and re-issues made up the catalogue. I have noticed the prices hold up well, for example the Haendel VC of Britten/Walton is just as desirable on Greensleeves as full price EMI. Does not delve into the repertoire as Lyrita but masses of good recordings can be had. The series lasted a long time, right up to the "Large dog" period on the cusp of CD, see below.

Thanks for that info - the posting had me wondering. I have Boult's 1968 recording of RVW's A Sea Symphony on a HMV Greensleeves (subtitles English Heritage Series ) LP. The date on the record label is 1981 so it is a reissue. Off hand, it is the only HMVG  disc I think I have.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thank you for the info Irons.   :)

Trying hard to hang onto my sanity--like everyone else these days.   ::)  Walks (often) and looking for 'my hawk' help.

All the best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on March 26, 2020, 01:55:44 AM
Thanks for that info - the posting had me wondering. I have Boult's 1968 recording of RVW's A Sea Symphony on a HMV Greensleeves (subtitles English Heritage Series ) LP. The date on the record label is 1981 so it is a reissue. Off hand, it is the only HMVG  disc I think I have.

That follows English Heritage Series used for later issues (your Sea Symphony and my Delius). The earlier issues had a green band running along the top of cover. Interesting you have RVW 1st on Greensleeves, I do not recall ever seeing any other of his symphonies on the label.   

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on March 26, 2020, 07:49:18 AM
That follows English Heritage Series used for later issues (your Sea Symphony and my Delius). The earlier issues had a green band running along the top of cover. Interesting you have RVW 1st on Greensleeves, I do not recall ever seeing any other of his symphonies on the label.

The others of that Boult cycle I have (Nos 2, 5, 6 & 7) I bought as full-priced LPs. I don't recall seeing many HMV Greensleeves issues at all.

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on March 26, 2020, 08:58:31 AM
The others of that Boult cycle I have (Nos 2, 5, 6 & 7) I bought as full-priced LPs. I don't recall seeing many HMV Greensleeves issues at all.

Recordings of great authority. Putting my neck on the block, 6 and 9 are indispensable.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 26, 2020, 11:20:34 AM
Recordings of great authority. Putting my neck on the block, 6 and 9 are indispensable.
I wouldn't dispute that.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

I have just posted this box set in the Listening Thread but I feel that it is one that is appropriate for here also....

I like it because it is a big, hinged box containing 8 LP's. What I like about it most is the very tactile nature of it. It is a cloth woven, thick cardboard box, very nice to feel and to touch. It also contains an excellent cycle.

Que

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on March 11, 2020, 04:26:00 PM
Is this a thread for laments? There is only one piece of vinyl I can think of that I love, and that has never been on CD.

I rashly donated it, thinking I had a digital transfer of it on my hard disc. Now I can't find the digital transfer! Gone forever.  :'(

https://www.discogs.com/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Nikolaus-Harnoncourt-Concentus-Musicus-Wien-Sinfonia/release/6992790

Last reissue in 1983:
https://www.discogs.com/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-Nikolaus-Harnoncourt-Concentus-Musicus-Wien-Sinfonia/release/7051024

vandermolen

Currently Playing:

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on March 29, 2020, 02:31:14 AM
Currently Playing:

Small coincidence as I am [slowly] making my way through a set from the same edition

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on March 29, 2020, 02:41:02 AM
Small coincidence as I am [slowly] making my way through a set from the same edition

Interesting indeed Fergus.

Now playing:

I'm pleased to report that my replacement turntable plays at the right speed!

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on March 29, 2020, 03:14:05 AM

I'm pleased to report that my replacement turntable plays at the right speed!

Yes, I definitely find that helps a lot  ;)  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on March 29, 2020, 03:14:05 AMI'm pleased to report that my replacement turntable plays at the right speed!

Hurrah!   ;D
Pohjolas Daughter