Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: ritter on April 05, 2020, 06:35:24 AM
Yes! I had several of those issues decades ago (they were my first exposure to Bartók's music, along with the Boulez recordings on Columbia) and they were very beautifully produced.

Some of the sets have the dates published in small print which is unusual for East European labels (Melodiya excepted). The earliest I have is 1967 - bound to be many before then - and stretches through the 1970's.
As you say they are beautifully turned out with details of works and artists in English translation along with many photos. I was interested to read from PD that the edition had a CD release but for big money. I didn't know that.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

The violin concerto, etc. LP looks quite tempting (though I don't know anything about the musicians nor conductors involved).

Here's a link to the complete set on CD on Amazon.comhttps://www.amazon.com/Hungarotons-Bartok-B/dp/B00004YLIJ/ref=sr_1_22?crid=3PFYM6N10E611&dchild=1&keywords=bartok+complete+edition&qid=1586178902&sprefix=complete+bartok+ed%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-22

Ouch!

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 06, 2020, 05:18:12 AM
The violin concerto, etc. LP looks quite tempting (though I don't know anything about the musicians nor conductors involved).

Here's a link to the complete set on CD on Amazon.comhttps://www.amazon.com/Hungarotons-Bartok-B/dp/B00004YLIJ/ref=sr_1_22?crid=3PFYM6N10E611&dchild=1&keywords=bartok+complete+edition&qid=1586178902&sprefix=complete+bartok+ed%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-22

Ouch!

Best wishes,

PD

Gordon Bennett!

Stay safe, P.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 06, 2020, 06:42:55 AM
Gordon Bennett!

Stay safe, P.
Will do my best!  And you too.  Will hit the garden soon.  Sunny out, so it should be nice.
Pohjolas Daughter

ritter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 05, 2020, 07:30:28 AM

Ritter, do you recall which ones you had and how you liked them?

Sorry for the late reply, PD. One of them definitely was The Wooden Prince Irons pictured above. Also IIRC, an LP with the Piano Concerto No. 3, and then another with Duke Bluebeard's Castle. I remember enjoying them at the time, but it's been more than 30 years since I'm separated from them.

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks Ritter!   :)

By the way Irons, I had to look up what Gordon Bennett meant (though I had a hunch what you meant)!  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 06, 2020, 09:22:11 AM
Thanks Ritter!   :)

By the way Irons, I had to look up what Gordon Bennett meant (though I had a hunch what you meant)!  ;)

PD

It is odd that a well known and used cockney (which I am) term is derived from a fellow countryman of yours, P.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 06, 2020, 09:56:32 AM
It is odd that a well known and used cockney (which I am) term is derived from a fellow countryman of yours, P.
:laugh: Too true! :)

And you're certainly not a 'used cockney'!!
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Thought I would make Bulgaria next port of call wandering around the Soviet Bloc. Nice beaches and good vinyl pressing plants too which go under the name Balkanton.

The liner notes contain a most ridiculous statement "There is very much in common between the early preludes and Shostakovich's last completed composition ". In my opinion the transcription by Strahov of the Preludes for piano to viola and piano devalues the pieces and comparing them to the viola sonata is like comparing blancmange with marmite.

Listening to the Adagio finale of the sonata is slightly uncomfortable as if eavesdropping on a composer's thoughts at the realisation of a lifetime's work is about to end. Both the recording and performance are excellent. Again it is chamber and instrumental where East European engineers excel.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 08, 2020, 12:13:05 AM
Thought I would make Bulgaria next port of call wandering around the Soviet Bloc. Nice beaches and good vinyl pressing plants too which go under the name Balkanton.

The liner notes contain a most ridiculous statement "There is very much in common between the early preludes and Shostakovich's last completed composition ". In my opinion the transcription by Strahov of the Preludes for piano to viola and piano devalues the pieces and comparing them to the viola sonata is like comparing blancmange with marmite.

Listening to the Adagio finale of the sonata is slightly uncomfortable as if eavesdropping on a composer's thoughts at the realisation of a lifetime's work is about to end. Both the recording and performance are excellent. Again it is chamber and instrumental where East European engineers excel.
I don't think that I've run across any of their records before Irons, but will now keep an eye out for sure!

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons and/or anyone else here:

Is anyone familiar with Lillian Fuchs' (the violist) recordings?  I had mentioned here in the current listening thread and didn't get any replies.  Any recs would be appreciated!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 11, 2020, 06:54:51 AM
Irons and/or anyone else here:

Is anyone familiar with Lillian Fuchs' (the violist) recordings?  I had mentioned here in the current listening thread and didn't get any replies.  Any recs would be appreciated!   :)

PD

Wish I could help, P. Looking her up obviously an important artist. It seems most of her recordings were on American Decca which has no connection with UK Decca. On Discogs apparently the only issue in Europe is a DG Mozart, there must be others. The name does ring a bell but I think that may be her brother. Lets hope another forum member can come up with something worthwhile.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 12, 2020, 01:34:37 AM
Wish I could help, P. Looking her up obviously an important artist. It seems most of her recordings were on American Decca which has no connection with UK Decca. On Discogs apparently the only issue in Europe is a DG Mozart, there must be others. The name does ring a bell but I think that may be her brother. Lets hope another forum member can come up with something worthwhile.
Thanks Irons,  I'll keep an eye out for her records in my neck of the woods.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 12, 2020, 03:12:32 AM
Thanks Irons,  I'll keep an eye out for her records in my neck of the woods.

PD

I knew the name rung a bell. I have Joseph Fuchs playing the Hindemith concerto with Mozart 3 on WRC from Everest.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 12, 2020, 04:55:54 AM
I knew the name rung a bell. I have Joseph Fuchs playing the Hindemith concerto with Mozart 3 on WRC from Everest.
Ah, I knew that you must have something from that musical family in those copious record towers of yours!   :D 8)
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Roy Harris: 3rd Symphony on Classics and Vinyl.

https://youtu.be/AS3qIrHkW9Y

Christo

Still the best performance of one of the finest symphonies I know, the epic Symphony No. 1 (1940) by Eugene Goossens, a recording that never made it to cd:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

XB-70 Valkyrie

Of some relevance, Joseph Fuchs was a great and largely unknown (in this era) violinist. If you can find him playing the R. Strauss violin sonata with Arthur Balsam (Decca DL 9836), it is a stupendous performance. I also have Joseph and Lilian playing the Mozart Duos (Decca 8523) on another LP that was selling for a ton of money years ago, but was on eBay for a buck or something (these prices vary WILDLY) recently. I bought mine for very little. Will have to listen to that one again.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Irons

Quote from: Christo on April 14, 2020, 09:30:40 AM
Still the best performance of one of the finest symphonies I know, the epic Symphony No. 1 (1940) by Eugene Goossens, a recording that never made it to cd:

Never made it on my shelves either! Two attempts both poor copies. One day........

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on April 14, 2020, 09:31:58 PM
Of some relevance, Joseph Fuchs was a great and largely unknown (in this era) violinist. If you can find him playing the R. Strauss violin sonata with Arthur Balsam (Decca DL 9836), it is a stupendous performance. I also have Joseph and Lilian playing the Mozart Duos (Decca 8523) on another LP that was selling for a ton of money years ago, but was on eBay for a buck or something (these prices vary WILDLY) recently. I bought mine for very little. Will have to listen to that one again.
Thanks!  I'll make note of them.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter