Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Christo on April 14, 2020, 09:30:40 AM
Still the best performance of one of the finest symphonies I know, the epic Symphony No. 1 (1940) by Eugene Goossens, a recording that never made it to cd:

I don't recall hearing anything by Goosens before--though his name is oddly familiar.  Was he better known for being a conductor?  Wondering if that might be why his name is familiar to me?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on April 14, 2020, 09:30:40 AM
Still the best performance of one of the finest symphonies I know, the epic Symphony No. 1 (1940) by Eugene Goossens, a recording that never made it to cd:

Totally agree. Measham was a fine conductor who died too young.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 15, 2020, 02:26:50 AM
I don't recall hearing anything by Goosens before--though his name is oddly familiar.  Was he better known for being a conductor?  Wondering if that might be why his name is familiar to me?

PD
Hi PD,
Yes, much better known as a conductor but I rate both of his symphonies very highly.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on April 15, 2020, 08:16:59 AM
Hi PD,
Yes, much better known as a conductor but I rate both of his symphonies very highly.
Thanks!  I suspected as much!   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Currently playing: Gordon Jacob 'Concerto for Phyllis and Cyril' a concerto for three hands on one or two pianos.
Sadly never issued on CD:

staxomega

Has anyone bought new pressings from DG? I bought Krystian Zimerman's latest Schubert double LP set and it was quite noisy.

Irons

Quote from: hvbias on April 21, 2020, 11:32:33 AM
Has anyone bought new pressings from DG? I bought Krystian Zimerman's latest Schubert double LP set and it was quite noisy.

Not good. Who pressed them?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

I was looking up something else recently and I stumbled across the "Ace of Clubs" image below. Now, I obviously know the "Ace of Clubs" label but I must admit that I have never come across this particular version of it before.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on April 25, 2020, 03:14:11 AM
I was looking up something else recently and I stumbled across the "Ace of Clubs" image below. Now, I obviously know the "Ace of Clubs" label but I must admit that I have never come across this particular version of it before.

I am fairly certain it is a late ACL pressing. The last pressings before Decca ceased the Ace of Clubs sub-label and moved onto "Ace of Diamonds".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on April 25, 2020, 06:41:07 AM
I am fairly certain it is a late ACL pressing. The last pressings before Decca ceased the Ace of Clubs sub-label and moved onto "Ace of Diamonds".

My recollection is that Ace of Diamonds and Ace of Clubs were concurrent, the former being mid-price and the latter bargain price. I still have Sibelius 5 from Collins/LSO in mono on ACL with the sleeve notes dated 1969. I used to have Smetana Ma Vlast from Kubelik/VPO on ACD. I bought both round about the same time. An older reissue I have is Beethoven 3 from Kleiber/VPO on ACL but that was secondhand. I didn't buy many of either label and have no record of how much I paid for them.

staxomega

Quote from: Irons on April 24, 2020, 06:51:40 AM
Not good. Who pressed them?

I'm not too certain, is there a way to tell? I'll copy what I wrote on another forum:

Years ago Pallas vinyl would have sort of a "sharp edge" and maybe a Pallas pressing code in the dead wax. I am not seeing either here; the edge is like most vinyl and all the information in the deadwax is neatly hand written. Here is a picture of the inner sleeve it came in:

Irons

Quote from: hvbias on April 25, 2020, 07:09:07 AM
I'm not too certain, is there a way to tell? I'll copy what I wrote on another forum:

Years ago Pallas vinyl would have sort of a "sharp edge" and maybe a Pallas pressing code in the dead wax. I am not seeing either here; the edge is like most vinyl and all the information in the deadwax is neatly hand written. Here is a picture of the inner sleeve it came in:

There is some discussion here  https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dg-classics-aaa-reissues.819541/

I am surprised the label is black. A facsimile copy by someone such as "Speakers Corner" would have the famous yellow label. I do not know how current this issue is but I recall at a Hi-Fi show a good few years ago a series of DG recordings with black labels from the Far East, I can't remember Japan or China. Possibly not worth mentioning but the last Lyrita pressings post Decca and Nimbus were sourced from the Europe mainland and they had hand written inscriptions on the dead wax. 

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on April 25, 2020, 06:58:05 AM
My recollection is that Ace of Diamonds and Ace of Clubs were concurrent, the former being mid-price and the latter bargain price. I still have Sibelius 5 from Collins/LSO in mono on ACL with the sleeve notes dated 1969. I used to have Smetana Ma Vlast from Kubelik/VPO on ACD. I bought both round about the same time. An older reissue I have is Beethoven 3 from Kleiber/VPO on ACL but that was secondhand. I didn't buy many of either label and have no record of how much I paid for them.

Ace of Clubs (ACL) are remastered LXT which are all mono recordings. LXT was first launched in 1950 and produced until 1969, after which all new releases were stereo only.
Ace of Diamonds (SDD) are re-releases of SXL stereo recordings. The first SXL was released in 1958.

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on April 25, 2020, 08:13:35 AM
Ace of Clubs (ACL) are remastered LXT which are all mono recordings. LXT was first launched in 1950 and produced until 1969, after which all new releases were stereo only.
Ace of Diamonds (SDD) are re-releases of SXL stereo recordings. The first SXL was released in 1958.

Thanks for the info.

ritter

Wasn't Ace of Diamonds to Decca what Richmond  was to London?

I still remember my first Richmond set, Karl Böhm's 1955 recording of Strauss's Die Frau ohne Schatten, the only available recording of the work at the time (mid 70s, the 1963 DG under Keiberth was OOP at the time, and Böhm's second recording—live , also on DG—had not yet been released).

The quality of these Richmond LPs was rather poor....

Irons

Quote from: ritter on April 25, 2020, 08:34:43 AM
Wasn't Ace of Diamonds to Decca what Richmond  was to London?

I still remember my first Richmond set, Karl Böhm's 1955 recording of Strauss's Die Frau ohne Schatten, the only available recording of the work at the time (mid 70s, the 1963 DG under Keiberth was OOP at the time, and Böhm's second recording—live , also on DG—had not yet been released).

The quality of these Richmond LPs was rather poor....

I would say for certain, yes.

A never ending debate between vinyl heads is the difference if any between Decca and London LPs.

staxomega

Quote from: Irons on April 25, 2020, 07:59:48 AM
There is some discussion here  https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/dg-classics-aaa-reissues.819541/

I am surprised the label is black. A facsimile copy by someone such as "Speakers Corner" would have the famous yellow label. I do not know how current this issue is but I recall at a Hi-Fi show a good few years ago a series of DG recordings with black labels from the Far East, I can't remember Japan or China. Possibly not worth mentioning but the last Lyrita pressings post Decca and Nimbus were sourced from the Europe mainland and they had hand written inscriptions on the dead wax.

This is a new recording from a couple of years ago (released by DG themselves), that might be why they're using the black label instead of a reproduction label. Or maybe they did it to suit the theme of the album which is mostly black album art. I'm going to get a replacement, I'll update how it is.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: hvbias on April 25, 2020, 12:43:33 PM
This is a new recording from a couple of years ago (released by DG themselves), that might be why they're using the black label instead of a reproduction label. I'm going to get a replacement, I'll update how it is.
Sorry to hear that the sound/pressing isn't good.  I'll have to go back and re-visit some of my DG LPs.  I believe that I remember reading some time ago (somewhere!?) that DG pressings had a tendency to be that way (and this was referring to older LP pressings).

What do others here think of DG pressings overall?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

staxomega

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 25, 2020, 12:46:20 PM
Sorry to hear that the sound/pressing isn't good.  I'll have to go back and re-visit some of my DG LPs.  I believe that I remember reading some time ago (somewhere!?) that DG pressings had a tendency to be that way (and this was referring to older LP pressings).

What do others here think of DG pressings overall?

PD

Thank you PD but I don't think it's worth the trouble. These new pressings seem to reflect the problem with the vinyl world today - too much demand with too few plants, pressing plants over stressed, slipping quality control and so on.

Unfortunately with this Zimerman album this is the only pressing that exists since it's a new recording. It was a fine recording to show off a hifi product we're developing which is why I was keen on it instead of just buying the CD.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: hvbias on April 25, 2020, 12:52:10 PM
Thank you PD but I don't think it's worth the trouble. These new pressings seem to reflect the problem with the vinyl world today - too much demand with too few plants, pressing plants over stressed, slipping quality control and so on.

Unfortunately with this Zimerman album this is the only pressing that exists since it's a new recording. It was a fine recording to show off a hifi product we're developing which is why I was keen on it instead of just buying the CD.
You would have thought that some new plants might have opened up?  Or perhaps the PTB don't think that the demand for them will last?

Sounds like you are having fun developing a new turntable?   :)

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter