Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

I remember Ace of Diamonds as the stereo version and Ace of Clubs as the mono recordings but this is no doubt too simplistic as some of the mono recordings were then converted into 'reprocessed stereo' which, I recall, did not have a good reputation.
Currently enjoying this LP:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 25, 2020, 11:41:45 PM
I remember Ace of Diamonds as the stereo version and Ace of Clubs as the mono recordings but this is no doubt too simplistic as some of the mono recordings were then converted into 'reprocessed stereo' which, I recall, did not have a good reputation.
Currently enjoying this LP:

Off the top of my head, I should check, but I think Decca put all their fake stereo on "Eclipse".

That is a fabulous cover, Jeffrey. One of the best.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 25, 2020, 12:59:32 PM
You would have thought that some new plants might have opened up?  Or perhaps the PTB don't think that the demand for them will last?

Best,

PD

I read an article recently where the MD of Nimbus was asked due to the resurgence of interest in vinyl would he consider reopening their pressing plants. He said that he would not give it even a moment's consideration as the operation is fraught with difficulties and a dangerous and uncomfortable working environment.

DG had a bit of a reputation but not due to pressings. Most of the LPs released in the UK were pressed by Phillips.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on April 26, 2020, 12:34:28 AM
I read an article recently where the MD of Nimbus was asked due to the resurgence of interest in vinyl would he consider reopening their pressing plants. He said that he would not give it even a moment's consideration as the operation is fraught with difficulties and a dangerous and uncomfortable working environment.

DG had a bit of a reputation but not due to pressings. Most of the LPs released in the UK were pressed by Phillips.

I have too many DG LPs to start checking this but I find it odd. I don't recall having any problems of any kind with DG but numerous flaws, including bad pressings, with Philips. I purchased a badly pressed Philips disc of Beethoven disc from Arrau and it went back to the shop so many times they gave up and I got a refund. A box set of Mahler symphonies (Haitink/Concertgebouw) went back at least three times before I got a perfect set of six discs.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 26, 2020, 12:21:03 AM
Off the top of my head, I should check, but I think Decca put all their fake stereo on "Eclipse".

That is a fabulous cover, Jeffrey. One of the best.

Ah yes, the famous Decca Eclipse label that I owe so much to, having made so many inexpensive classical discoveries through it.

Yes that RCA LP cover is lovely and I was so glad that they reproduced a mini version of it when RCA released their Morton Gould boxed CD set. The LP also features my favourite recording of Rimsky Korsakov's 'Antar' which is the perfect coupling for Miaskovsky's 21st Symphony. I'm listening to it now.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

premont

Quote from: Biffo on April 26, 2020, 01:10:27 AM
I have too many DG LPs to start checking this but I find it odd. I don't recall having any problems of any kind with DG but numerous flaws, including bad pressings, with Philips. I purchased a badly pressed Philips disc of Beethoven disc from Arrau and it went back to the shop so many times they gave up and I got a refund. A box set of Mahler symphonies (Haitink/Concertgebouw) went back at least three times before I got a perfect set of six discs.

I collected vinyl from the 1960es to the late 1980es. One of the most annoying things about LPs, which often drove me mad, was bad centering. Several of my DG items had this error, while it was rare among LPs from the other big labels. With small labels it was also relatively common. It was most often useless to get a replacement LP, because this would have the same flaw.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Biffo

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 26, 2020, 03:23:50 AM
I collected vinyl from the 1960es to the late 1980es. One of the most annoying things about LPs, which often drove me mad, was bad centering. Several of my DG items had this error, while it was rare among LPs from the other big labels. With small labels it was also relatively common. It was most often useless to get a replacement LP, because this would have the same flaw.

I can't say I ever noticed the problem but you probably had a more sophisticated turntable than me. I was more concerned about warping, something EMI/HMV records seemed prone to.

aligreto

Quote from: aligreto on April 25, 2020, 03:14:11 AM
I was looking up something else recently and I stumbled across the "Ace of Clubs" image below. Now, I obviously know the "Ace of Clubs" label but I must admit that I have never come across this particular version of it before.

Thank you all for the information and contributions on the above.

premont

Quote from: Biffo on April 26, 2020, 03:35:21 AM
I can't say I ever noticed the problem but you probably had a more sophisticated turntable than me. I was more concerned about warping, something EMI/HMV records seemed prone to.

Well, often a pulsating out of tune quality (the result of bad centering) makes the music completely unlistenable to me, but if it is not too pronounced I can sometimes deliberately ignore it. I often needed to do so at that time. BTW I agree that warping was another irritating thing, but fortunately occurring more seldom than bad centering, at least in my collection, which for the most part consisted of items from the great labels.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on April 26, 2020, 01:10:27 AM

I think you unlucky. For pressings Philips have a good reputation, but there are two Philips. The British one and the Dutch one and as always with vinyl there are pluses and minuses. The Dutch are thinner but lovely and clean with little or no surface noise, the sound is a tad constricted. The British pressings are thicker, the sound more dynamic lacking the whisper quietness of the Dutch pressings. Both are very good without being the best, and I have always thought Philips a safe purchase Dutch or British. 

Edit: The top image is a UK pressing the other from Holland.

Biffo

Quote from: Irons on April 26, 2020, 05:45:30 AM
I think you unlucky. For pressings Philips have a good reputation, but there are two Philips. The British one and the Dutch one and as always with vinyl there are pluses and minuses. The Dutch are thinner but lovely and clean with little or no surface noise, the sound is a tad constricted. The British pressings are thicker, the sound more dynamic lacking the whisper quietness of the Dutch pressings. Both are very good without being the best, and I have always thought Philips a safe purchase Dutch or British. 

Edit: The top image is a UK pressing the other from Holland.

The Mahler set I had all the problems with has a purple rather than a red label and no country of origin. Judging by the serial number it is a British pressing. Once I got a 'clean' set there were no problems and it still sounds fine nearly 50 years later. Getting that 'clean' set nearly drove the lady in my local record shop to distraction.

However, I still have the impression that Philips caused me more problems than any other label, including the highly erratic HMV/EMI.

staxomega

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 25, 2020, 12:59:32 PM
You would have thought that some new plants might have opened up?  Or perhaps the PTB don't think that the demand for them will last?

Sounds like you are having fun developing a new turntable?   :)

Best,

PD

A moving coil step up transformer and possibly a tube phono stage that uses inductors (LCR) for the RIAA EQ :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: hvbias on April 26, 2020, 02:03:15 PM
A moving coil step up transformer and possibly a tube phono stage that uses inductors (LCR) for the RIAA EQ :)
I don't know anything about transformers, but I do have all tubes (amp and pre-amp).  So much to learn/keep up with!   ::)  Been a while since I've done research into current systems too...so far behind!  Wish you the best of luck/work though.  Please keep us up to date with how things are going.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Biffo on April 26, 2020, 06:04:01 AM
The Mahler set I had all the problems with has a purple rather than a red label and no country of origin. Judging by the serial number it is a British pressing. Once I got a 'clean' set there were no problems and it still sounds fine nearly 50 years later. Getting that 'clean' set nearly drove the lady in my local record shop to distraction.

However, I still have the impression that Philips caused me more problems than any other label, including the highly erratic HMV/EMI.

That is early. More about collecting then music-reproduction but the issues with "Hi-Fi Stereo" inscribed on label and cover sell at a premium.

EMI went through a dodgy period in the mid-seventies.

vandermolen

This arrived yesterday and looks and sounds brand new. It is an LP that I never owned and regretted not having acquired it when it first came out. Maybe at the time (early 1970s) I was put off on realising that it featured Copland's more 'modernist' works. I'm very pleased to have it now. The Symphonic Ode has subsequently become a favourite of mine. Nice to see that familiar old blue CBS label!

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on May 01, 2020, 11:48:18 PM
This arrived yesterday and looks and sounds brand new. It is an LP that I never owned and regretted not having acquired it when it first came out. Maybe at the time (early 1970s) I was put off on realising that it featured Copland's more 'modernist' works. I'm very pleased to have it now. The Symphonic Ode has subsequently become a favourite of mine. Nice to see that familiar old blue CBS label!

What's on it, Jeffrey? I listened to Copland last night, "Quiet City" terrific piece.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 02, 2020, 12:06:48 AM
What's on it, Jeffrey? I listened to Copland last night, "Quiet City" terrific piece.
That's a lovely piece Irons.  Are you familiar with his music for The Red Pony which I really enjoy.  Every once in a while, his music "Billy the Kid" hits the spot too.   :)

Quote from: vandermolen on May 01, 2020, 11:48:18 PM
I don't know his "Symphonic Ode"...will have to check it out?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on May 02, 2020, 05:14:06 AM
That's a lovely piece Irons.  Are you familiar with his music for The Red Pony which I really enjoy.  Every once in a while, his music "Billy the Kid" hits the spot too.   :)

I don't know "The Red Pony" P, will look out for it. There is something in Copland's music I find most appealing. "Billy the Kid" is great, but I think "Appalachian Spring" would be my first choice. I have yet to hear a piece I don't like.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on May 02, 2020, 06:54:48 AM
I don't know "The Red Pony" P, will look out for it. There is something in Copland's music I find most appealing. "Billy the Kid" is great, but I think "Appalachian Spring" would be my first choice. I have yet to hear a piece I don't like.
:laugh: I had meant to include "Appalachian Spring" but I forgot to!   :-[

Speaking of spring, I've started hauling my plants out...should have taken a photo.  I had to put my rosemary plant (shrub really!) onto an old suitcase carrier, tie it on and haul it outside as too heavy and to awkward to hold onto it for very long.  It worked though!   ;D

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 02, 2020, 12:06:48 AM
Quiet City is a great work Lol.
The LP features 'Preamble to a Solemn Occasion', 'Orchestral Variations' and my favourite the declamatory 'Symphonic Ode'.
I also like the Red Pony film score, The Tender Land, Orchestral Suite, Symphony for Organ and Orchestra, Third Symphony and nearly everything I've ever heard by Copland.