Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on May 02, 2020, 08:48:20 AM
Quiet City is a great work Lol.
The LP features 'Preamble to a Solemn Occasion', 'Orchestral Variations' and my favourite the declamatory 'Symphonic Ode'.
I also like the Red Pony film score, The Tender Land, Orchestral Suite, Symphony for Organ and Orchestra, Third Symphony and nearly everything I've ever heard by Copland.

I must get hold of a copy, Jeffrey. Makes a change from your excellent CD recommendations. ;D Talking of which, the Bloch has finally arrived.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

There has been a few 45 rpm recordings released of classic material which I have ignored in the past although they claim superior sound. I must admit this 45 rpm of Goossens conducting "Symphonie Fantastique" is spine tingling good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjhEnkciQEY&t=479s
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 03, 2020, 12:50:26 AM
I must get hold of a copy, Jeffrey. Makes a change from your excellent CD recommendations. ;D Talking of which, the Bloch has finally arrived.
Yes, I think you'd enjoy that Copland LP Lol. Hope you enjoy the Bloch CD as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Logically analogue recordings are best on LP and digital on CD. I wished to purchase a copy of the Bax Piano Quartet, a digital recording from the 1980's. A search on eBay came up with a CD and LP of the identical recording with the CD one penny dearer and both including free postage. My mouse hovered over each, I couldn't make a decision. Eventually heart overruled head and what swung it in favour of LP is that the seller York Records is reliable and trustworthy. The LP arrived today and is in tip top condition but so I dare say is the CD ............ :-\ 

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on May 22, 2020, 06:31:00 AM
Logically analogue recordings are best on LP and digital on CD. I wished to purchase a copy of the Bax Piano Quintet, a digital recording from the 1980's. A search on eBay came up with a CD and LP of the identical recording with the CD one penny dearer and both including free postage. My mouse hovered over each, I couldn't make a decision. Eventually heart overruled head and what swung it in favour of LP is that the seller York Records is reliable and trustworthy. The LP arrived today and is in tip top condition but so I dare say is the CD ............ :-\

I would have gone the same way. Enjoy it.

Irons

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on May 22, 2020, 06:31:00 AM
Logically analogue recordings are best on LP and digital on CD. I wished to purchase a copy of the Bax Piano Quartet, a digital recording from the 1980's. A search on eBay came up with a CD and LP of the identical recording with the CD one penny dearer and both including free postage. My mouse hovered over each, I couldn't make a decision. Eventually heart overruled head and what swung it in favour of LP is that the seller York Records is reliable and trustworthy. The LP arrived today and is in tip top condition but so I dare say is the CD ............ :-\
Love the Harp Quintet. My favourite Bax chamber work alongside the Piano Quintet.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on May 22, 2020, 09:41:48 AM
Love the Harp Quintet. My favourite Bax chamber work alongside the Piano Quintet.

Oh Jeffrey, I need a brain transplant! I purchased this thinking it was the Quintet you recommended. It doesn't end there though! Putting the LP away I find I already own a copy, again in mint condition. ::)

If anyone one can give the LP of Bax above a good home, PM me, and I will pop it in the post.

Irons

On this day ( June 18th) 1948, Columbia Records unveiled the long-playing record.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 18, 2020, 12:37:20 AM
On this day ( June 18th) 1948, Columbia Records unveiled the long-playing record.
Ooooooohhhhhh! Yippee!  What a day!   ;D
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Pohjolas Daughter

Record shops are opening up again (hurrah!) albeit in a rather constrained and strange sort of way.  I did run across a LP in a series which we've discussed here a bit:  Bela Bartok--The Complete Edition on Hungaroton.  The one that I picked up is part of his chamber music, specifically, Sonatas for Violin and Piano Nos. 1 and 2 with Gidon Kremer and Yuri Smirnov.   :)

PD

p.s.  I did manage to lightly twist a friend's wrist and encourage him to purchase a CD.  It's one that I have myself and hoping that he will enjoy it.  It's this one: 
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 22, 2020, 06:51:24 AM
Record shops are opening up again (hurrah!) albeit in a rather constrained and strange sort of way.  I did run across a LP in a series which we've discussed here a bit:  Bela Bartok--The Complete Edition on Hungaroton.  The one that I picked up is part of his chamber music, specifically, Sonatas for Violin and Piano Nos. 1 and 2 with Gidon Kremer and Yuri Smirnov.   :)

PD

p.s.  I did manage to lightly twist a friend's wrist and encourage him to purchase a CD.  It's one that I have myself and hoping that he will enjoy it.  It's this one: 

A good find P, congratulations. I miss sorting through bins of LPs, CDs too, and coming across something interesting. Ordering online has its uses but just not the same. Over the years I have derived as much pleasure finding stuff as listening to it. My first port of call will be, when it opens, Farnham Oxfam. I would love a visit to Classical Exchange at Notting Hill Gate but this involves either train, Underground or bus and I don't feel confident enough to use any of these options at the present time.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 22, 2020, 07:22:23 AM
A good find P, congratulations. I miss sorting through bins of LPs, CDs too, and coming across something interesting. Ordering online has its uses but just not the same. Over the years I have derived as much pleasure finding stuff as listening to it. My first port of call will be, when it opens, Farnham Oxfam. I would love a visit to Classical Exchange at Notting Hill Gate but this involves either train, Underground or bus and I don't feel confident enough to use any of these options at the present time.
Thanks!

Any idea when stores will be opening up again?  Here, they had to limit the number of customers in accordance with the number of square feet of the store.  Plexi-shields up, safe distancing, box set up for cash, credit/debit card machine set up to avoid contact with customers.  You even get to bag your own items.  Awkward looking at stuff trying to read labels with face mask on.   :(  Better than nothing though!  Also, store hours are more limited for the time being too.  And they're also not doing 'instant buys' at the moment; they're letting things sit for x-number of days before handling it to look at the items and condition and then getting back to the seller.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

My daughter kindly bought me this. A great nostalgia trip. I went to see the film eight times at the cinema when it first came out when I was 12/13. My daughter is a great fan as well:

Thinking about it this may be the first record that I bought (in 1968) which featured any classical music. My new copy seems to be in mint condition.

Papy Oli

Belated Happy Birthday Jeffrey, Hope you had a good one yesterday !
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Cool album!  And a belated Happy Birthday from me too!   :)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Thanks for the good wishes Olivier and PD. I had a great time, having a (vegan) picnic with my wife and daughter in a park in London, having not seen her for several months.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on June 23, 2020, 11:44:31 AM
Thanks for the good wishes Olivier and PD. I had a great time, having a (vegan) picnic with my wife and daughter in a park in London, having not seen her for several months.
Out of curiosity, what did your picnic consist of Jeffrey?  Glad that you had a good time out and hope that it wasn't too hot for you?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on June 22, 2020, 06:51:24 AM

PD

That is a very nice CD in all respect.