Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 07, 2020, 06:57:58 AM
PD, my mum and Peter Gabriel's mum were friends. She, PG mum not mine, was something to do with the Queen (HM not the pop group). I can't recall the details as so long ago but a maid of honour or something like that.
Solsbury Hill is a great record, in fact I will go over to YT to listen to it now.
Oh neat Irons!  Did you ever meet her (and or her son too)?  Or did she meet him?  I know some of his songs, but this is the first album of his that I've purchased.  Am keeping an eye out for others...also for Genesis.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 07, 2020, 08:05:44 AM
Oh neat Irons!  Did you ever meet her (and or her son too)?  Or did she meet him?  I know some of his songs, but this is the first album of his that I've purchased.  Am keeping an eye out for others...also for Genesis.   :)

PD

No didn't meet either unfortunately. If mother ever met Peter she didn't tell me. I think PG's mum was quite posh - to be honest I didn't pay much attention at the time - but they got on well.

Hooray! First foray in a bricks and mortar record shop today, followed by a pint in a pub. 8)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 07, 2020, 11:17:56 PM
No didn't meet either unfortunately. If mother ever met Peter she didn't tell me. I think PG's mum was quite posh - to be honest I didn't pay much attention at the time - but they got on well.

Hooray! First foray in a bricks and mortar record shop today, followed by a pint in a pub. 8)
Wow Irons!  And both in one day!  How did things go in the record shop?
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 08, 2020, 07:37:25 AM
Wow Irons!  And both in one day!  How did things go in the record shop?

Went well P, two each of LPs and CDs. On vinyl a DCC reissue of Villa-Lobos and Prokofiev from Stokowski and Beethoven's Septet with Collegium Aureum which is of course HIP.

RVW and Handley feature strongly on CD. Job/Fantasia/Five Variants on one. The other has Piers Lane playing RVW and Delius piano concertos along with Finzi's Eclogue.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Excellent!  How many others were in there with you at the time?  And were all being good by wearing masks, etc.?
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 08, 2020, 12:09:48 PM
Excellent!  How many others were in there with you at the time?  And were all being good by wearing masks, etc.?

Unlike the pub which was ridiculous - sadly a British institution, the local pub will die through this unless a vaccine is found sharpish - Oxfam Media store were exemplary. I walked straight in and asked to squirt my hands from a hand sanitiser. I did notice some after me were asked to wait, there must have been three or four of us in the store. The payment area was screened off and the assistant put on gloves to handle my purchases. No silly notices and everything spotlessly clean, a template how it should be done.   

Pohjolas Daughter

Excellent!   8)

Hope that the pubs manage to figure things out.  Imagine that it would be hard if you don't have any outdoor seating areas?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 09, 2020, 07:31:17 AM
Excellent!   8)

Hope that the pubs manage to figure things out.  Imagine that it would be hard if you don't have any outdoor seating areas?

PD
My wife and I went for a walk near the town of Battle (as in Battle of Hastings) last weekend and at the the end of it there was a pub with outside seating! It was so nice to have a taste of normality.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 09, 2020, 09:46:44 AM
My wife and I went for a walk near the town of Battle (as in Battle of Hastings) last weekend and at the the end of it there was a pub with outside seating! It was so nice to have a taste of normality.
Yeah!  Happy for you!

By the way, are there many pubs in your area that have smaller locally-brewed beer?  I never cease to be amazed at how many micro-breweries there are in the States these days.  A bewildering abundance of choices.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 09, 2020, 09:56:38 AM
Yeah!  Happy for you!

By the way, are there many pubs in your area that have smaller locally-brewed beer?  I never cease to be amazed at how many micro-breweries there are in the States these days.  A bewildering abundance of choices.

PD
OT
Thank you. The best known locally is Harvey's of Lewes who manufacture my favourite dark 'Old' beer which is a winter brew although you can get it in bottled form all the year round. That is the River Ouse to the bottom left of the photo.
[/img]
Now playing, Muir Mathieson's fine LP of Tchaikovsky's 'Pathetique' Symphony with the Sinfonia of London:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on July 10, 2020, 05:12:10 AM
OT
Thank you. The best known locally is Harvey's of Lewes who manufacture my favourite dark 'Old' beer which is a winter brew although you can get it in bottled form all the year round. That is the River Ouse to the bottom left of the photo.
[/img]
Nice!  Boy, another new term for me 'Old beer'?  :-[

Thanks for the photos.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 10, 2020, 05:12:10 AM
OT
[/img]
Now playing, Muir Mathieson's fine LP of Tchaikovsky's 'Pathetique' Symphony with the Sinfonia of London:

Great stuff, Jeffrey. We have friends in West Wittering and a visit to the local for a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best is a joy.

Pleased you are enjoying the Mathieson LP, have you a clean copy? A early release from WRC and only available to subscribers as the rest of a huge catalogue released over it must be a good few years.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 10, 2020, 07:00:40 AM
Great stuff, Jeffrey. We have friends in West Wittering and a visit to the local for a pint of Harvey's Sussex Best is a joy.

Pleased you are enjoying the Mathieson LP, have you a clean copy? A early release from WRC and only available to subscribers as the rest of a huge catalogue released over it must be a good few years.
Thanks Lol,
Yes, it's in surprisingly good condition, almost mint I think. Very nice and deeply felt performance, especially the finale. The whole thing has a kind of 'old-fashioned' feel to it which is part of its appeal. The disc itself is very hard vinyl, like something between a 78 and an LP, or like one of those old Melodiya LPs made of very heavy plastic. Thanks for the recommendation. Glad to hear that you enjoy a pint of Harvey's every now and then. I've always liked dark beer or mild and Old is my special favourite.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 10, 2020, 07:26:30 AM
Thanks Lol,
Yes, it's in surprisingly good condition, almost mint I think. Very nice and deeply felt performance, especially the finale. The whole thing has a kind of 'old-fashioned' feel to it which is part of its appeal. The disc itself is very hard vinyl, like something between a 78 and an LP, or like one of those old Melodiya LPs made of very heavy plastic. Thanks for the recommendation. Glad to hear that you enjoy a pint of Harvey's every now and then. I've always liked dark beer or mild and Old is my special favourite.

Yes, I agree Jeffrey, a far cry from the digital spotlight. A modern sports car would leave a 60's Jag E-Type for dead but there is something about an E-Type that cannot be replicated. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 10, 2020, 01:43:20 PM
Yes, I agree Jeffrey, a far cry from the digital spotlight. A modern sports car would leave a 60's Jag E-Type for dead but there is something about an E-Type that cannot be replicated.
I very much agree.

vandermolen

Enjoying this at the moment:
Symphonic Ode:

Irons

Glazunov: The Seasons and Concert Waltzes 1 & 2.

Must be something in the water that Russian ballets are so good. Arguably Tchaikovsky is the greatest composer of ballet music with Glazunov is not far behind. The Seasons is a lovely score.

This issue is on the legendary Decca "wide band" label with stamped on the dead wax ZAL-7421-3W. A grooved label so early. I am not convinced wide band pressings are superior to narrow band even if they sell for a premium with many ending up in the Far East.

Irons

Bruckner: 4th Symphony.

It is unusual to find a LP issue of Bruckner's 4th spread over four sides - each movement per side. Most recordings of this symphony are released on a single LP. For such expansive music the afforded extra groove width makes a noticeable difference especially at the big Bruckner climaxes. Superb sound.   

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on July 25, 2020, 12:02:17 AM
Bruckner: 4th Symphony.

It is unusual to find a LP issue of Bruckner's 4th spread over four sides - each movement per side. Most recordings of this symphony are released on a single LP. For such expansive music the afforded extra groove width makes a noticeable difference especially at the big Bruckner climaxes. Superb sound.
Cool Irons!  Wonder whether or not that one was also issued similarly in the US?

In any event, glad that you enjoyed it.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 25, 2020, 05:27:32 AM
Cool Irons!  Wonder whether or not that one was also issued similarly in the US?

In any event, glad that you enjoyed it.  :)

PD

Very late in the day, P, I'm getting into Bruckner. It is all that Denham's fault. ;D