Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on August 19, 2020, 01:05:43 AM
That turned out to make for interesting viewing.

Pleased it was of interest to you.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

André Le Nôtre

My Oracle Delphi MK. III is down (literally) again. I bought this lightly used in 1993 or so and added an SME V tonearm a year later. They performed brilliantly until 2015, when one of the suspension towers collapsed. For 22 years I had zero issues with it; My only expenditures were cartridge replacements. In 2016, I had it completely re-spung and had a new belt and new cartridge (another Blue Point) installed (very well-known and respected dealer in my area).

About this time last year the belt broke--only got 2.5 years out of that one, as opposed to 22 on the first one! Had to have that replaced. 40$ is not big deal, but I HATE transporting that thing in my car: I secure it down as best I can, but, still, it's BOING, BOING, BOING! I have to drive like a little old lady!

Then, a month or so ago, I was looking at it out of the corner of my eye and something did not seem right. Sure enough, one of the other towers had collapsed. These parts are little more than 3.5 years old.

It seems to me that the replacment parts from Oracle are garbage compared to the originals. Has anyone experienced a similar thing on their 'table? I guess I will have it fixed again. I cannot imaging shelling out $7K for a new one. The only other 'tables that look good to me are the VPIs, and those are nearly as expesive.

Irons

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on August 21, 2020, 08:08:57 PM
My Oracle Delphi MK. III is down (literally) again. I bought this lightly used in 1993 or so and added an SME V tonearm a year later. They performed brilliantly until 2015, when one of the suspension towers collapsed. For 22 years I had zero issues with it; My only expenditures were cartridge replacements. In 2016, I had it completely re-spung and had a new belt and new cartridge (another Blue Point) installed (very well-known and respected dealer in my area).

About this time last year the belt broke--only got 2.5 years out of that one, as opposed to 22 on the first one! Had to have that replaced. 40$ is not big deal, but I HATE transporting that thing in my car: I secure it down as best I can, but, still, it's BOING, BOING, BOING! I have to drive like a little old lady!

Then, a month or so ago, I was looking at it out of the corner of my eye and something did not seem right. Sure enough, one of the other towers had collapsed. These parts are little more than 3.5 years old.

It seems to me that the replacment parts from Oracle are garbage compared to the originals. Has anyone experienced a similar thing on their 'table? I guess I will have it fixed again. I cannot imaging shelling out $7K for a new one. The only other 'tables that look good to me are the VPIs, and those are nearly as expesive.

Oh dear, not good. You own a beautiful looking, top of the range turntable with a pedigree going back as far as I remember. To make the investment you have the Delphi should give a lifetime of trouble-free superb music. Can the platter be removed for transit, and are there suspension locking nuts? Your description of the journey to the dealer is a worry, is it possible the damage to the tower was caused by the trip?

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 22, 2020, 12:01:44 AM
Oh dear, not good. You own a beautiful looking, top of the range turntable with a pedigree going back as far as I remember. To make the investment you have the Delphi should give a lifetime of trouble-free superb music. Can the platter be removed for transit, and are there suspension locking nuts? Your description of the journey to the dealer is a worry, is it possible the damage to the tower was caused by the trip?

Oh, no!   :(  I did find the original manual for you (if it didn't come with it).  Do you have the original packaging that hopefully the previous owner kept and passed along to you?
https://493bd2cc-7df8-478d-aa2a-5e9ccb8dd6cd.filesusr.com/ugd/a191a2_594c13d0d55b4de1b148a5bd8b328a8e.pdf  Page 7 talks about unpacking and packing it.  If nothing else, perhaps you could either call Oracle directly or call your dealer for tips and help?  Just a suggestion.  And good luck!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André Le Nôtre

Thanks guys. The god of all things Oracle, Brooks Berdan (designer of the "BrooksMod", which was incorporated into all later models), set it up himself when I bought it in '93. His only suggestion was to stuff rolled up (clean  8) ) socks under the suspension while transporting it. I have been doing that ever since. He, and my current dealer told me not to worry so much, that the whole thing is more robust than it seems.

I don't think the trip in the car had anything to do with it, as it worked OK for  a year or more after the last trip home.

Funny story: Last year the Oracle belt broke a few days after we returned from our three week vacation in France. While in Brittany, trying to find our AIRBnB in our rental car, I drove past the correct house and had to reverse (one-way street). The owner opened the gate and directed me in (about a picometer of clearance on either side of my rental car). The whole manouver took me about five minutes with a line of French drivers waiting patiently behind me. Not a sign of obnoxiousness from any of them.

Then, after having returned here to to Murica/SoCal, I had to drive up to Pasadena to have the new Oracle belt installed. This audio shop has ONE reserved parking spot in front of the store--otherwise you have to pay $8 in the crappy garage and schlepp it a good distance. I was lucky enough that the spot was free, but I had to parallel park. In the minute or so it took me to do this, I must have had no fewer than FIVE drivers of various Escalades, Denalis, Silverados, Hummers (do you see a pattern here???) honk and give me the finger! Welcome back home!!!

aligreto

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on August 21, 2020, 08:08:57 PM

That is a very elegant looking TT. I sympathize with your issues and I hope they are resolved soon and to your satisfaction. Do keep us posted on the outcome.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on August 22, 2020, 07:54:38 PM

Funny story: Last year the Oracle belt broke a few days after we returned from our three week vacation in France. While in Brittany, trying to find our AIRBnB in our rental car, I drove past the correct house and had to reverse (one-way street). The owner opened the gate and directed me in (about a picometer of clearance on either side of my rental car). The whole manouver took me about five minutes with a line of French drivers waiting patiently behind me. Not a sign of obnoxiousness from any of them.

Then, after having returned here to to Murica/SoCal, I had to drive up to Pasadena to have the new Oracle belt installed. This audio shop has ONE reserved parking spot in front of the store--otherwise you have to pay $8 in the crappy garage and schlepp it a good distance. I was lucky enough that the spot was free, but I had to parallel park. In the minute or so it took me to do this, I must have had no fewer than FIVE drivers of various Escalades, Denalis, Silverados, Hummers (do you see a pattern here???) honk and give me the finger! Welcome back home!!!
Sighhhhhhh.... :(

Fingers crossed for you!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Currently enjoying the Roy Harris Symphony No.3
LP, which was very cheap, seems to be in good condition.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André Le Nôtre

Thanks for the kind concern folks. It's a first-world problem to be sure, and I do have a ton of other music that I have yet to listen to. But, I do miss my FLAC-ed LP of the week (several hundred still to go in my collection), and looking around for LPs on eBay. My next one will have to be the Jorg Demus WTC, which I think is not available on CD (but maybe someone will prove me wrong).  8)

I am busy with teaching a new (university) semester (fortunately 100% remote) and the slightly daunting proposition of setting up a new Windows system this weekend. But, I will get the Oracle up to the shop soon enough for another set of springs, a new mat, and whatever else it needs. I know the dealer will push the new motor/power supply upgrade for 1500$, but not necessary now (even though it would be cool).

vandermolen

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on August 24, 2020, 07:09:30 PM
Thanks for the kind concern folks. It's a first-world problem to be sure, and I do have a ton of other music that I have yet to listen to. But, I do miss my FLAC-ed LP of the week (several hundred still to go in my collection), and looking around for LPs on eBay. My next one will have to be the Jorg Demus WTC, which I think is not available on CD (but maybe someone will prove me wrong).  8)

I am busy with teaching a new (university) semester (fortunately 100% remote) and the slightly daunting proposition of setting up a new Windows system this weekend. But, I will get the Oracle up to the shop soon enough for another set of springs, a new mat, and whatever else it needs. I know the dealer will push the new motor/power supply upgrade for 1500$, but not necessary now (even though it would be cool).
Just caught up with this. What a song-and-dance! Hope you get it sorted.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 24, 2020, 01:33:05 PM
Currently enjoying the Roy Harris Symphony No.3
LP, which was very cheap, seems to be in good condition.

Nice!  Wonder whether or not that's the same recording that I have?  I have a 2-CD set which is part of the Great Conductors of the 20th Century.  It says that it was remastered from shellacs and is from Nov. 8, 1939.  Alas, I don't have the other two works, but it is a nice set though.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 25, 2020, 08:00:17 AM
Nice!  Wonder whether or not that's the same recording that I have?  I have a 2-CD set which is part of the Great Conductors of the 20th Century.  It says that it was remastered from shellacs and is from Nov. 8, 1939.  Alas, I don't have the other two works, but it is a nice set though.   :)

PD

I think so but am not 100% sure. I have that set as well as the recording on the Pearl label (x2  :-\) and now the LP, which I really enjoyed as I did the Sibelius couplings. I've just ordered a copy of Harris's Third Symphony conducted by Ormandy, which I thought sounded terrific and was unaware of - it's from a CD 'Ormandy in Russia Vol.2', so it may be different from Ormandy's LP release of the work, which I was also unaware of until a couple of days ago. I'm surprised that the Harris Symphony No.3 is not more popular here on GMG Forum.

aligreto

Prokofieff: Lieutenant Kijé Suite [Kurtz]

This one is on 10" vinyl.

I like the look and feel of 10" vinyl. I also like how, in Classical Music, you usually, but not always, get one work per disc. I don't keep a count of such things but I suppose that I would have about 100 of these in my collection. I would always be interested in buying them if I see them for sale in charity shops, for example. I simply find them to be appealing for some reason.

I have a friend who has a very large vinyl collection who is also interested in very modern music and he tells me that a number of artists that he is interested in have released 10" vinyl versions of their music in recent years.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 18, 2020, 09:56:21 AM
There is a small shop that sells anything and everything, odds and ends for next to nothing.  The owner seals up 50 or so LPs in plastic wrap and sells the bundle for $6.00.  Kind of a grab bag of vinyl.  I bought one because the two records on the outside were jazz LPs and I figured there might bee more inside, and it was such a small investment.  It ended up being of little interest.  While there were a few others I kept, most were not my thing.  Some were even empty. 

But, the one I checked, Ramsey Lewis "The In Crowd," was in surprisingly good condition.
It's one thing to sell a mystery package, but ones with no LPs?!  :o

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 18, 2020, 11:11:14 AM
I don't think he even checked, just grabbed a handful from the stack and wrapped them up.  The record jackets were torn in several cases, and I'm sure the vinyl just fell out.  Who knows, the records might be hiding in one of the other bundles.
No, I didn't think that he was doing it on purpose; just not checking things well....still [possibly] 50 LPs for $6 is cheap!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 18, 2020, 09:56:21 AM
There is a small shop that sells anything and everything, odds and ends for next to nothing.  The owner seals up 50 or so LPs in plastic wrap and sells the bundle for $6.00.  Kind of a grab bag of vinyl.  I bought one because the two records on the outside were jazz LPs and I figured there might bee more inside, and it was such a small investment.  It ended up being of little interest.  While there were a few others I kept, most were not my thing.  Some were even empty. 

But, the one I checked, Ramsey Lewis "The In Crowd," was in surprisingly good condition.

That is a very fair gamble. I would also go for it.

Irons

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 19, 2020, 09:23:26 AM
So I found my old inexpensive Behringer phono amp in a box of cables, and hooked it up in anticipation of the arrival of my Schlit.

Am listening to my pristine new copy of Kind of Blue.

Fantastic!

Jazz on the vinyl thread? In the words of Miles "So What".

Enjoy your vinyl set-up. Looking forward to reading your posts.

aligreto

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 19, 2020, 09:23:26 AM
So I found my old inexpensive Behringer phono amp in a box of cables, and hooked it up in anticipation of the arrival of my Schlit.

Am listening to my pristine new copy of Kind of Blue.

Fantastic!

Great that you are ahead of schedule. I am sure that you will find a great difference when your Schlit arrives.

aligreto

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 20, 2020, 03:12:04 AM
The sound is much richer than I imagined - it sounds like I've got the group in my studio - the bass, especially, sounds magnificent.  Not boomy, but a deep rich sound you can feel in your stomach.

That is great. I was never one of those "I told you so" merchants about vinyl playback. It was not always a great medium and has many drawbacks but, when it works, and you get the balance of all things right [a very big rabbit hole] it can work very, very well; particularly for the type of music that you enjoy. I hope that you have many happy listening adventures ahead.

aligreto

I have just posted this on the Classical Music Listening thread

QuoteVerdi: Requiem [Reiner]

It has just struck me that I do believe this double LP to be the only coloured vinyl that I own [Burgundy coloured, as above]. I have not actively avoided buying coloured vinyl. For the most part the music that I listen to does not come on coloured vinyl. I do remember reading somewhere years ago, I cannot remember where, that there were either longevity or quality issues with coloured vinyl. Do people own much of it and have they found any long term issues with the medium? Indeed, have they found any difference whatsoever with it when compared with standard black vinyl?