Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

I had heard that in the past, that the colored vinyl sounded horrible; I did ask a friend (who buys a ton of new and used vinyl) for his thoughts and he said that that has changed these days and that the sound is just fine.  Trying to remember if I might have one or two used ones or if I just looked at them in shops?  Sorry, not being very helpful here!

San Antone,

Hope that you enjoy your new setup and am looking forward to your comments!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 20, 2020, 08:02:03 AM
I had heard that in the past, that the colored vinyl sounded horrible; I did ask a friend (who buys a ton of new and used vinyl) for his thoughts and he said that that has changed these days and that the sound is just fine.  Trying to remember if I might have one or two used ones or if I just looked at them in shops?  Sorry, not being very helpful here!

PD

Did he originally think that the sound was poorer or does he think that the quality has improved? I am genuinely curious.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 20, 2020, 09:24:32 AM
Did he originally think that the sound was poorer or does he think that the quality has improved? I am genuinely curious.
Will ask him when I talk to him next.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Irons

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 21, 2020, 11:01:33 AM
My Schlit preamp arrived today, and I have connected it and set the little switches on the bottom for optimum performance with my Thorens.  Also Charles Mingus Ah Um, 180 gram reissue vinyl was just delivered, and so without delay it was on the turntable.  Double maiden voyage.   ;)

Nice.   8)

Charles Mingus, along with Joni Mitchell, is the only jazz artist or any artist come to that, who gives my lifelong profession a shout. A first and a last methinks. ;D

https://youtu.be/dgx9e-5_fE8
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

I am not into "collector" labels anymore, more into the music. They do turn up occasionally without actively looking which occurred last week. Not big bucks, Menuhin never is, although I believe him an excellent musician. His technique did slip in later life but his understanding of a work remained very good, one of the best IMO.

White and Gold is a very pretty label.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 22, 2020, 07:26:11 AM
So, is your screen name actually a pun?   ;D

For my sins I support West Ham United a soccer team who at their conception in 1895 were named Thames Ironworks. Hence their nickname the "Hammers" or "Irons".

aligreto

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 22, 2020, 06:01:37 AM
Another one of my favorite LP boxes retrieved from storage.  Thankfully these are in really good condition and sound fine.

It says "Volume 1" but I don't think I've ever seen Vol. 2.

Great to see you up and running. May it be trouble free and enjoyable  :)

Irons

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 23, 2020, 06:41:05 AM
Le sacre du printemps - Leonard Bernstein (1958)

I bought this hi-quality vinyl recording three or four years ago, but never played it since it also came with the digital download version.  Nice to hear the vinyl.

Does it come with a facsimile of the famous 6-eye label?

I have the UK issue on CBS. To say an exciting performance is stating the obvious. :)

aligreto

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 23, 2020, 09:21:13 AM
One thing Ive noticed since listening to my vinyl (and this may have been mentioned before in this thread) I find myself listening to the record more attentively than I usually do with a CD and most definitely with streaming.  I like that each side contains a really nice amount of music, about 22 minutes.  That seems like a perfect amount of time, and then there's the little physical involvement of flipping the record.

The physical aspect, the larger disc, cleaning it, the whole act of engaging the turntable, it all amounts to a somewhat richer experience.  It reminds me of my obsession with making espresso at one time.  Very process oriented.

Welcome back to the tactile world of vinyl. Long may it last  8)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 20, 2020, 10:40:36 AM
Cheers PD.

Talked to my friend and here's my (hopefully correct) summery of his comments:

1) Current/new non-black vinyl (since the 2000's) sounds fine
2) Older NB vinyl oftened sounded hissy/noisy.  He used to buy two copies of a record if there was a special edition of it coming out (the second being the normal black vinyl).
3) Regarding picture discs:  they never sound(ed) good (newer and old ones too)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 23, 2020, 11:37:46 AM
Talked to my friend and here's my (hopefully correct) summery of his comments:

1) Current/new non-black vinyl (since the 2000's) sounds fine
2) Older NB vinyl often sounded hissy/noisy.  He used to buy two copies of a record if there was a special edition of it coming out (the second being the normal black vinyl).
3) Regarding picture discs:  they never sound(ed) good (newer and old ones too)

PD

Thank you very much PD.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Andante

I have only about 300 vinyl left most are 12 inch dating from the early 50s , I do occasionally listen to one but there is always the constant hiss in the quite passages, and for me they just do not stack up against the CD.
Andante always true to his word has kicked the Marijuana soaked bot with its addled brain in to touch.

aligreto

Quote from: Old San Antone on September 28, 2020, 01:39:04 PM
The Savoy 10-inch LP Collection [4 Disc Deluxe Box Set]
Charlie Parker

Arrived today.  The production values are amazing - what a fine set.  Very retro.  Sound's great.

What a wonderful idea. I am very fond of 10" vinyls for some reason  8)

Irons

Armed with mask and hand sanitizer visited my favourite record store today.

On vinyl-

Blomdahl/Roseenberg: 3rd/6th Symphonies. Ehrling/Westerberg Stockholm PO. Turnabout.

Bach: Orchestral Suites 1-4 (2 LPs). Concentus Musicus. Telefunken.

Hoddinott: Landscapes/ PC No3/ Sinfonietta No.2. New Philharmonia Schonzeler. RCA.

Shostakovich/Britten: Piano Quintet/ SQ No.1. Benson with Alberni Quartet. CRD.

Nielsen: Tone Poems. Blomstedt and Danish RSO. HMV Greensleeve.

Bach: Violin Concertos. Standage & Wilcock with Pinnock and English Concert. Archive.

Roussel: Violin Sonatas 1&2. Galperin & Alberti. Cybelia.

On CD-

Glazunov: Symphonies 1, 7 & 8 Ballade, Slavonic Festival (2 CDs) Rozhdestvensky. Olympia.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 02, 2020, 06:42:57 AM

On vinyl-

Blomdahl/Roseenberg: 3rd/6th Symphonies. Ehrling/Westerberg Stockholm PO. Turnabout.

Hoddinott: Landscapes/ PC No3/ Sinfonietta No.2. New Philharmonia Schonzeler. RCA.

Bach: Violin Concertos. Standage & Wilcock with Pinnock and English Concert. Archive.

On CD-

Glazunov: Symphonies 1, 7 & 8 Ballade, Slavonic Festival (2 CDs) Rozhdestvensky. Olympia.
That Blomdahl/Rosenberg LP had a great impact on my youthful self, especially the Rosenberg with its strong sense of nature. There was a fine Swedish EMI LP of Rosenberg's epic 3rd Symphony (Blomstedt conducting I think). It is one of the great 20th Century symphonies IMO. The only thing was that there was a pressing fault with an annoying 'click' repeating all the way through the very moving final movement. Fortunately it was not replicated on the CD released. The Glazunov CD is very fine as well. Happy listening!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 02, 2020, 06:54:17 AM
That Blomdahl/Rosenberg LP had a great impact on my youthful self, especially the Rosenberg with its strong sense of nature. There was a fine Swedish EMI LP of Rosenberg's epic 3rd Symphony (Blomstedt conducting I think). It is one of the great 20th Century symphonies IMO. The only thing was that there was a pressing fault with an annoying 'click' repeating all the way through the very moving final movement. Fortunately it was not replicated on the CD released. The Glazunov CD is very fine as well. Happy listening!

Interesting re Rosenberg, thanks for info. I have been on the lookout for a decent Turnabout pressing for some time.

With Glazunov I have been in a bit of a quandary. The EMI licensed from Melodiya Svetlanov LP recordings have really good cover art, but it ends there. Svetlanov's Glazunov symphony cycle is in particularly poor sound (LP) which I must admit spoils the listening experience. The Svetlanov Miaskovsky recordings are far superior in this regard on both vinyl and CD as are many other Melodiya recordings. When I spied Rozhdestvensky I thought worth a try.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on October 02, 2020, 06:42:57 AM

On vinyl-

On CD-

Nice haul  8)

André Le Nôtre

Quote from: aligreto on October 02, 2020, 12:55:05 AM
What a wonderful idea. I am very fond of 10" vinyls for some reason  8)

Tempting, but how much for that Charlie Parker set??? I could probably buy a box set of 20 LPs on 10 CDs for something like a buck these days, but these?? PLUS all the time and effort digitizing. (But still, soooo coool.)

BTW, as for colored vinyl, one of the BEST sounding LPs in my collection is a Tawainese ORANGE vinyl 12" "sterfo" of "Lohnny Mathis". Incredible. (Yes, I do like Johnny Mathis.) So, I don't think colored vinyl is incompatible with great sound.