Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on October 02, 2020, 09:35:59 PM
Tempting, but how much for that Charlie Parker set??? I could probably buy a box set of 20 LPs on 10 CDs for something like a buck these days, but these?? PLUS all the time and effort digitizing. (But still, soooo coool.)

BTW, as for colored vinyl, one of the BEST sounding LPs in my collection is a Tawainese ORANGE vinyl 12" "sterfo" of "Lohnny Mathis". Incredible. (Yes, I do like Johnny Mathis.) So, I don't think colored vinyl is incompatible with great sound.
How old is your pressing?  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André Le Nôtre

Quote from: Old San Antone on October 03, 2020, 04:24:01 AM
I think it was $67.  Yeah, I could listen to this music on Spotify and not have bought anything.  As to why did I buy these?  First it is the experience of playing the discs on my turntable, the sound of the music (really very good) and the selections (the early Bird that defined bebop), broken up into about 10 minutes per side.  I like this way of listening.

Thanks, yes, I agree--there are far cheaper and easier ways of listening to music than vinyl, but vinyl is arguably the best (at least, more enjoyable) for many of us. In my case, I weigh each LP purchase carefully due mostly to time and space considerations. I have a huge backlog of vinyl to listen to and FLAC. I love browsing through stores and eBay for interesting finds, and I still buy used and new LPs regularly. But still, for large volumes of music (e.g., large box sets), it is far more sensible (for me at least) to go the CD route.

André Le Nôtre

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 03, 2020, 04:25:41 AM
How old is your pressing?  :)

PD

Hi PD. That Johnny Mathis LP looks to be late 60s or early 70s. I will try to dig out a photo. Orange vinyl (translucent) and incredibly good sounding.

aligreto

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on October 02, 2020, 09:35:59 PM

BTW, as for colored vinyl, one of the BEST sounding LPs in my collection is a Tawainese ORANGE vinyl 12" "sterfo" of "Lohnny Mathis". Incredible. (Yes, I do like Johnny Mathis.) So, I don't think colored vinyl is incompatible with great sound.

Good to hear that from another vinyl owner.

How is the TT getting on these days?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on October 03, 2020, 01:13:53 PM
Hi PD. That Johnny Mathis LP looks to be late 60s or early 70s. I will try to dig out a photo. Orange vinyl (translucent) and incredibly good sounding.
Wonder if it might have something to do with the formulas used in colored-but-translucent vs. colored-but-opaque LPs?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

André Le Nôtre

Quote from: aligreto on October 04, 2020, 01:58:09 AM
Good to hear that from another vinyl owner.

How is the TT getting on these days?

Hi Fergus, it has been busy lately, and I have not had a chance to take the Oracle back to Delphi. However, I plan to do so in the next month or so, when things will quiet down significantly for me. Then, six weeks off for winter break. Late Jan gets busy again with teaching Medical Parasitology for the first time---lots of work! So, I plan to get busy digitizing in Nov, Dec.

How are you doing??

aligreto

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on October 04, 2020, 01:02:25 PM
Hi Fergus, it has been busy lately, and I have not had a chance to take the Oracle back to Delphi. However, I plan to do so in the next month or so, when things will quiet down significantly for me. Then, six weeks off for winter break. Late Jan gets busy again with teaching Medical Parasitology for the first time---lots of work! So, I plan to get busy digitizing in Nov, Dec.

How are you doing??

All good here, my friend, thankfully.

Let us know when you eventually bring the TT to be looked at.

André Le Nôtre

Thanks, yes I will! Glad you are doing well. (I have been very slow with email lately. sorry.)

Here is the specimen in question--attached photos (image quality is much better after clicking on the image!). On the morning of 7 April 2007, I did not set out to find an orange vinyl LP of Johnny Mathis (from Taiwan, no less), but it just worked out that way! The fun of rummaging around in bins of used LPs!

aligreto

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on October 04, 2020, 01:25:21 PM
I have been very slow with email lately. sorry.

In your own time.

QuoteHere is the specimen in question--attached photos (image quality is much better after clicking on the image!). On the morning of 7 April 2007, I did not set out to find an orange vinyl LP of Johnny Mathis (from Taiwan, no less), but it just worked out that way! The fun of rummaging around in bins of used LPs!

Nice!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: André Le Nôtre on October 04, 2020, 01:25:21 PM
Thanks, yes I will! Glad you are doing well. (I have been very slow with email lately. sorry.)

Here is the specimen in question--attached photos (image quality is much better after clicking on the image!). On the morning of 7 April 2007, I did not set out to find an orange vinyl LP of Johnny Mathis (from Taiwan, no less), but it just worked out that way! The fun of rummaging around in bins of used LPs!
Thanks for the photos.  Pretty orange and blue!  :)  Wonderful singer Johnny Mathis.  Glad that it worked out well for you.

Yes, it is fun to dig through bins.  My one gripe here:  often the classical record bins are on the floor (or just slightly off of the ground).  Makes for awkward (and increasingly painful) digging through them!  Bad light too.  Is this often the case outside of the US?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

I very rarely buy LPs but have recently acquired these two Miaskovsky discs. Gauk's recording of Symphony 27 is the most moving of all. I'm sorry that it wasn't released on CD in the Brilliant Gauk boxed set. I have never owned a recording of the 7th Symphony or 'Links' on LP:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 05, 2020, 10:15:05 AM
I very rarely buy LPs but have recently acquired these two Miaskovsky discs. Gauk's recording of Symphony 27 is the most moving of all. I'm sorry that it wasn't released on CD in the Brilliant Gauk boxed set. I have never owned a recording of the 7th Symphony or 'Links' on LP:

Congratulations, Jeffrey. I always look in my usual haunts but never find Miaskovsky other then Melodiya/EMI symphonies and quartets.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 06, 2020, 07:06:54 AM
Congratulations, Jeffrey. I always look in my usual haunts but never find Miaskovsky other then Melodiya/EMI symphonies and quartets.

Thanks Lol. I got a good deal for buying two LPs. He also had an LP with Symphony 17 (Gauk I think) if you are interested. 17 is one of the very best.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Recorded in the Kingsway Hall 17-19th February 1958 with an initial release on full price Decca (wide band). Reissued in 1968 on Decca Ace of Diamonds and also issued on the Decca "World of Classics" series.

I own a copy of Ace of Diamonds SDD 188 which sounds very fine with a cracking performance from Peter Katin and Sir Adrian.

vandermolen

Currently listening to Miaskovsky Symphony No. 27 Moscow Radio SO cond. Alexander Gauk.
This is by far the most moving performance I have heard of this great work - it has a depth of feeling which goes beyond the more recent performances by Svetlanov and Polyansky, good as they are. The sound quality is much better than I anticipated:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on October 08, 2020, 01:08:23 PM

Recorded in the Kingsway Hall 17-19th February 1958 with an initial release on full price Decca (wide band). Reissued in 1968 on Decca Ace of Diamonds and also issued on the Decca "World of Classics" series.

I own a copy of Ace of Diamonds SDD 188 which sounds very fine with a cracking performance from Peter Katin and Sir Adrian.
The Ace of Diamonds cover is quite nice.  The Decca one seems a bit strange to me; any idea where the photo was taken?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on October 17, 2020, 01:50:41 AM
Currently listening to Miaskovsky Symphony No. 27 Moscow Radio SO cond. Alexander Gauk.
This is by far the most moving performance I have heard of this great work - it has a depth of feeling which goes beyond the more recent performances by Svetlanov and Polyansky, good as they are. The sound quality I'd much better than I anticipated:

I really need to check out Miaskovsky.  I remember hearing about him a number of years ago.  If I'm remembering correctly, he wrote a heck of a lot of symphonies??

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 17, 2020, 08:06:18 AM
I really need to check out Miaskovsky.  I remember hearing about him a number of years ago.  If I'm remembering correctly, he wrote a heck of a lot of symphonies??

PD

Twenty seven in total PD

My recommendations are 3,6,17,21,25 and 27.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on October 17, 2020, 08:04:48 AM
The Ace of Diamonds cover is quite nice.  The Decca one seems a bit strange to me; any idea where the photo was taken?

PD

Not a clue, P. After amazingly coming up with the correct location recently of a stream by a forum member it would not surprise me if someone knows.