Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 31, 2020, 11:20:13 AM
I have this CD Lol:

Another recording from the excellent Dudarova, Jeffrey. I must give her Miaskovsky 11th a spin.

I have a Melodiya LP of Rakov's 2nd Violin Concerto (1963) coupled with Sinfonietta and Little Symphony.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 01, 2020, 01:25:58 AM
Another recording from the excellent Dudarova, Jeffrey. I must give her Miaskovsky 11th a spin.

I have a Melodiya LP of Rakov's 2nd Violin Concerto (1963) coupled with Sinfonietta and Little Symphony.
The Dudarova recording of Miaskovsky's 11th Symphony is excellent Lol as are the Two Pieces for String Orchestra, transcribed from the middle movements of Symphony 19 for Band. The first one is very moving. I had an old Melodiya LP of those works but since I've acquired a turntable I have bought the ASD/Melodiya release LP:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

New arrival today. Great to have The Forgotten Rite, Mai Dun and the Legend on the same LP, featuring the late Eric Parkin:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on November 01, 2020, 01:25:58 AM
(...)

Ditto here.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2020, 02:47:15 AM
The Dudarova recording of Miaskovsky's 11th Symphony is excellent Lol as are the Two Pieces for String Orchestra, transcribed from the middle movements of Symphony 19 for Band. The first one is very moving. I had an old Melodiya LP of those works but since I've acquired a turntable I have bought the ASD/Melodiya release LP:

Not purist but given a choice between Melodiya and licensed EMI I choose the latter, Jeffrey. I have both in a a few issues but not made a comparison. I would like to think EMI to protect their reputation would sort the wheat from the chaff and only issue Melodiya recordings that reach a certain standard of performance and sonics. My theory is not full-proof as the sound on LP of the Glazunov symphonies is disappointingly poor.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 02, 2020, 03:23:56 AM
Ditto here.

Rakov. Side 1, here are three waltzes and Side 2, Concert Suite and Geroichesky March.

vandermolen

Just purchased this for £6.00

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2020, 12:08:52 PM

Excellent investment, Jeffrey. When I visited 2nd hand record shops - sadly a rare occurrence these days, I hoovered up WRC LPs. The WRC licensed hundreds of titles from other labels and they also made their own recordings, one of which you may find of interest. A 1960 stereo recording of Bliss conducting 'Checkmate'.

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on November 02, 2020, 06:55:44 AM
(...)

Rakov. Side 1, here are three waltzes and Side 2, Concert Suite and Geroichesky March.

I don't have that one, have never seen it, I think. This is mine of the 2nd Violin Cto etc. Rakov's music is quite attractive and one could easily see Naxos embarking on a project.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 03, 2020, 12:13:19 AM
Excellent investment, Jeffrey. When I visited 2nd hand record shops - sadly a rare occurrence these days, I hoovered up WRC LPs. The WRC licensed hundreds of titles from other labels and they also made their own recordings, one of which you may find of interest. A 1960 stereo recording of Bliss conducting 'Checkmate'.

Thanks Lol. I recall taking the WRC LP out of the High Street Kensington record library and thoroughly enjoying it. I have this LP - an early acquisition which may feature the same performance as the one that you recommend. The HMV Concert Classics label was a great, inexpensive source of early classical music discoveries for me - not least Sargent's record of Walton's First Symphony and one featuring Walton's film music:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 02, 2020, 12:08:52 PM

Oh, nice!  I haven't listened to any Solomon recordings in ages, but I did enjoy what I heard and purchased that EMI (now Warner) Icon boxset of his.

What label is yours on Jeffrey?  I don't recognize the logo.

PD

EDIT:  Oh, so it's a WRC?  Just read Irons' subsequent post.
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 03, 2020, 04:04:45 AM
Oh, nice!  I haven't listened to any Solomon recordings in ages, but I did enjoy what I heard and purchased that EMI (now Warner) Icon boxset of his.

What label is yours on Jeffrey?  I don't recognize the logo.

PD

EDIT:  Oh, so it's a WRC?  Just read Irons' subsequent post.

Yes, WRC PD. I also had their fine LPs of historic Sibelius recordings (Kajanus etc), VW conducting his own 4th Symphony and Walton's excellent Sinfonia Concertante and Elgar conducting his own symphonies.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2020, 05:56:44 AM
Yes, WRC PD. I also had their fine LPs of historic Sibelius recordings (Kajanus etc), VW conducting his own 4th Symphony and Walton's excellent Sinfonia Concertante and Elgar conducting his own symphonies.
Nice!  I've really been wanting to get Kajanus' Sibelius recordings; one of these days!  The logo looked different than I had remembered.  Did it change much over the years?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2020, 02:23:15 AM
Thanks Lol. I recall taking the WRC LP out of the High Street Kensington record library and thoroughly enjoying it. I have this LP - an early acquisition which may feature the same performance as the one that you recommend. The HMV Concert Classics label was a great, inexpensive source of early classical music discoveries for me - not least Sargent's record of Walton's First Symphony and one featuring Walton's film music:

Same one indeed, Jeffrey. EMI went on to buy The World Record Club and of course their back catalogue. One of the reasons I find WRC so attractive is they could only be purchased new by subscription. Similar to book clubs of the period a member had to make a minimum monthly purchase. Sometimes to fill a quota a subscriber would buy a record they didn't particularly want with the outcome of few if any plays.

I agree that Concert Classics is a great source of inexpensive LPs. I picked up one last month - Le Mer and Nocturnes with Giulini conducting the Philharmonia. Not only releases from their own catalogue and WRC but also desirable Westminster and Everest recordings.
Is the Concert Classics Walton film music you mention the one below? My guess an original EMI recording followed by WRC for their subscribers. A chance of a WRC original but I doubt that. 

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 03, 2020, 07:35:20 AM
Same one indeed, Jeffrey. EMI went on to buy The World Record Club and of course their back catalogue. One of the reasons I find WRC so attractive is they could only be purchased new by subscription. Similar to book clubs of the period a member had to make a minimum monthly purchase. Sometimes to fill a quota a subscriber would buy a record they didn't particularly want with the outcome of few if any plays.

I agree that Concert Classics is a great source of inexpensive LPs. I picked up one last month - Le Mer and Nocturnes with Giulini conducting the Philharmonia. Not only releases from their own catalogue and WRC but also desirable Westminster and Everest recordings.
Is the Concert Classics Walton film music you mention the one below? My guess an original EMI recording followed by WRC for their subscribers. A chance of a WRC original but I doubt that.
This is the one that I have Lol. The same as yours + the Spitfire I think - in the same series as Symph No. 1. Am not sure about PD's question about the WRC labels:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2020, 09:42:45 AM
This is the one that I have Lol. The same as yours + the Spitfire I think - in the same series as Symph No. 1. Am not sure about PD's question about the WRC labels:

Jeffrey, I am coming around to the view that the Walton film music is an original WRC recording. Looking up Discogs the earliest (1972) EMI issue is your Concert Classics SXLP 30I39. I have looked elsewhere and drawn a blank. Although  not dated the WRC, I'm convinced, would be earlier and EMI would make an initial release full price with the composer conducting.

The WRC logo is a globe and a vinyl record in a figure of eight. The green labels are much more sexy then the red.

I do not think I have Walton conducting "Spitfire". My version is Groves.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 04, 2020, 12:52:34 AM
Jeffrey, I am coming around to the view that the Walton film music is an original WRC recording. Looking up Discogs the earliest (1972) EMI issue is your Concert Classics SXLP 30I39. I have looked elsewhere and drawn a blank. Although  not dated the WRC, I'm convinced, would be earlier and EMI would make an initial release full price with the composer conducting.

The WRC logo is a globe and a vinyl record in a figure of eight. The green labels are much more sexy then the red.

I do not think I have Walton conducting "Spitfire". My version is Groves.
That makes sense to me Lol. I think that the Concert Classics Walton Film Music release is the WRC release + the Spitfire Prelude and Fugue. That Groves Spitfire LP is great and it reappears on CD with an identical CD sized cover image in the Groves boxed set.

Do you have this Lol? It is smaller than usual LP size. My neighbour at my university hall of residence gave it to me when he heard that I was a VW fan:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 04, 2020, 02:56:02 AM
That makes sense to me Lol. I think that the Concert Classics Walton Film Music release is the WRC release + the Spitfire Prelude and Fugue. That Groves Spitfire LP is great and it reappears on CD with an identical CD sized cover image in the Groves boxed set.

Do you have this Lol? It is smaller than usual LP size. My neighbour at my university hall of residence gave it to me when he heard that I was a VW fan:

Thanks Irons for the photo; I see where the "World Record" part comes into the log.  ;)

Great looking Vaughan Williams cover there Jeffrey!  Other than the symphony, have all of the other works been released on other labels...like maybe EMI?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 04, 2020, 04:35:09 AM
Thanks Irons for the photo; I see where the "World Record" part comes into the log.  ;)

Great looking Vaughan Williams cover there Jeffrey!  Other than the symphony, have all of the other works been released on other labels...like maybe EMI?

PD

Hi PD,
That unusual disc only contained the Tuba and Oboe concertos - it's a bit confusing as it says 'and' the London Symphony Orchestra which looks like it might feature the London Symphony, but it doesn't.
You can find them here on this nice double CD set:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 04, 2020, 04:53:52 AM
Hi PD,
That unusual disc only contained the Tuba and Oboe concertos - it's a bit confusing as it says 'and' the London Symphony Orchestra which looks like it might feature the London Symphony, but it doesn't.
You can find them here on this nice double CD set:

Whoopsie!  Reading too quickly! lol  Thanks Jeffrey!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter