Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 04, 2020, 02:56:02 AM
That makes sense to me Lol. I think that the Concert Classics Walton Film Music release is the WRC release + the Spitfire Prelude and Fugue. That Groves Spitfire LP is great and it reappears on CD with an identical CD sized cover image in the Groves boxed set.

Do you have this Lol? It is smaller than usual LP size. My neighbour at my university hall of residence gave it to me when he heard that I was a VW fan:

I do not have it Jeffrey, and never seen it! Alegrito (sp) is a fan of 10" LPs as he mentions on this thread. I do not own a single one. Great image of RVW on the cover.
I would think I have the same recording of the Oboe Concerto on a HMV 20 issue.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 04, 2020, 06:43:04 AM
I do not have it Jeffrey, and never seen it! Alegrito (sp) is a fan of 10" LPs as he mentions on this thread. I do not own a single one. Great image of RVW on the cover.
I would think I have the same recording of the Oboe Concerto on a HMV 20 issue.

Yes, it's the same recording Lol. It's 'Aligreto' I think  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 05, 2020, 12:21:24 AM
Yes, it's the same recording Lol. It's 'Aligreto' I think  :)

Typical! Discovered late in life I may have a touch of dyslexia. Mind you as a young lad there was no such word, you were just thick.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 05, 2020, 07:07:13 AM
Typical! Discovered late in life I may have a touch of dyslexia. Mind you as a young lad there was no such word, you were just thick.

Often a sign of high intelligence.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I shouldn't worry. I refer to PD as PJ half the time.  ::)

Pohjolas Daughter

Hey, we all know that you're smart here, know your music, are an amazing gardener, a kind and generous person...and much more! And to deal with issues regarding reading difficulties....not easy!  So there!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 05, 2020, 11:05:36 AM
I shouldn't worry. I refer to PD as PJ half the time.  ::)
No problems Jeffrey, between all of the students that you have, friends, and all of the people on here?  Not an issue.   :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 05, 2020, 12:06:35 PM
Hey, we all know that you're smart here, know your music, are an amazing gardener, a kind and generous person...and much more! And to deal with issues regarding reading difficulties....not easy!  So there!  ;D

PD

Hang on DP PD, my head will get so big I won't get through the door! Leg-pulling aside the above is a much more accurate description of your good self. So there! ;D

vandermolen

New arrival today. Greatly enjoying it. A surprisingly good recording for 1943.
A WRC Red Label release complete with a chart of stereo settings (even though the LP is Mono!) that you can fill in for 'Treble', 'Bass' and 'Stereo Balance'. Great cover art:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 06, 2020, 03:21:44 AM
New arrival today. Greatly enjoying it. A surprisingly good recording for 1943.
A WRC Red Label release complete with a chart of stereo settings (even though the LP is Mono!) that you can fill in for 'Treble', 'Bass' and 'Stereo Balance'. Great cover art:

Nice!  I don't recall hearing the Bliss piano concerto before?  Will have to look through that Icon set that I have.

PD

p.s.  Interesting about the stereo settings; new technology then?   ;)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 06, 2020, 04:30:18 AM
Nice!  I don't recall hearing the Bliss piano concerto before?  Will have to look through that Icon set that I have.

PD

p.s.  Interesting about the stereo settings; new technology then?   ;)

I like the Bliss PC although some find it overblown. The climax of the first movement is perhaps my favourite moment in Bliss's music. The PC was premiered in the USA by the NYPO (Boult/Solomon) in 1939.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 07, 2020, 01:27:24 AM
I like the Bliss PC although some find it overblown. The climax of the first movement is perhaps my favourite moment in Bliss's music. The PC was premiered in the USA by the NYPO (Boult/Solomon) in 1939.
Ah, I see that it's on the last CD (No. 7) in that set...will have to follow up on it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

One LP purchased yesterday (amidst a flurry of CD purchasing - see other thread):

Vorisek

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 07, 2020, 03:58:42 AM
Ah, I see that it's on the last CD (No. 7) in that set...will have to follow up on it!

PD

What Icon set is that PD?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2020, 04:47:47 AM
What Icon set is that PD?
This set Jeffrey (originally came out on EMI):

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 08, 2020, 05:32:10 AM
This set Jeffrey (originally came out on EMI):

PD
Thanks PD. I wasn't even aware of that box. I'm v glad that it has the Bliss PC. There is also a CD recording of the premiere performance (Solomon/Boult/NYPO) from 1939 but the sound is execrable. I have it and enjoy it. Adam Zero is a much better recording. I was never aware of a Volume 2 release:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2020, 03:15:18 PM
Thanks PD. I wasn't even aware of that box. I'm v glad that it has the Bliss PC. There is also a CD recording of the premiere performance (Solomon/Boult/NYPO) from 1939 but the sound is execrable. I have it and enjoy it. Adam Zero is a much better recording. I was never aware of a Volume 2 release:

Noted that Constant Lambert directed the premiere of Adam Zero.

I have the WRC Solomon but try as I might can't find it. :-[ Searching, I came across this with a message to the American people on the cover. Perhaps Johnson should send a copy to Biden. :-*

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 09, 2020, 12:23:59 AM
Noted that Constant Lambert directed the premiere of Adam Zero.

I have the WRC Solomon but try as I might can't find it. :-[ Searching, I came across this with a message to the American people on the cover. Perhaps Johnson should send a copy to Biden. :-*

Haha - brilliant idea Lol. There's also a message 'To our American Friends' from Adrian Boult on the Everest LP (first recording) of Vaughan Williams's 9th Symphony, recorded on the day of the composer's death (he had been due to attend the recording session) - I think that is a very special recording.

I was listening the other day to my CD of 'Dunkirk - BBC Archive Recordings' (sad, I know  ::)) when I heard an account given by someone, with a very posh accent, of his flight from Holland in 1940. It turned out to be Constant Lambert whose tour of the Netherlands with the Sadler's Wells Ballet Company in May 1940 had unfortunately coincided with Hitler's invasion of the Netherlands. The route to the Hook of Holland had been blocked and they had been lucky to escape, still wearing their evening clothes.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2020, 03:15:18 PM

Jeffrey and Irons,

Looking at the booklet, it says that the Bliss PC was recorded with the Liverpool Phil. Orch. with Boult on January 12-13, 1943 (Producer:  Walter Legge and Balance engineer:  Arthur Clarke--no "C"  ;)  ).  The comments are interesting:  "He played little music of his own time, but his friendship with Sir Arthur Bliss resulted in a grand, post-Lisztian concerto that was premiered in New York with the New York Philharmonic in the context of the 1939 World Fair.  Solomon took it to many British cities during the Second World War and it became something of a symbol of Anglo-American solidarity."

Notes by Stephen Plaistow, 2008

Hadn't heard of Adam Zero before.  What was the title referring to by the way?

PD

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 03:04:47 AM
Haha - brilliant idea Lol. There's also a message 'To our American Friends' from Adrian Boult on the Everest LP (first recording) of Vaughan Williams's 9th Symphony, recorded on the day of the composer's death (he had been due to attend the recording session) - I think that is a very special recording.

I was listening the other day to my CD of 'Dunkirk - BBC Archive Recordings' (sad, I know  ::)) when I heard an account given by someone, with a very posh accent, of his flight from Holland in 1940. It turned out to be Constant Lambert whose tour of the Netherlands with the Sadler's Wells Ballet Company in May 1940 had unfortunately coincided with Hitler's invasion of the Netherlands. The route to the Hook of Holland had been blocked and they had been lucky to escape, still wearing their evening clothes.

Irons, any words of kindness or encouragement would be most welcome here now!

That Dunkirk CD sounds quite interesting too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 03:04:47 AM

Not sad at all, Jeffrey. My wife had a moan for me not wearing a poppy - how can you when not going anywhere due to lockdown? So for some digging exercise at allotment today poppy pinned to chest.

Great Lambert story. Typical of the man for wearing a DJ and not fatigues when escaping from Nazis. Bet he was smoking a cigar too!