Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2020, 04:33:21 AM
Jeffrey and Irons,

Looking at the booklet, it says that the Bliss PC was recorded with the Liverpool Phil. Orch. with Boult on January 12-13, 1943 (Producer:  Walter Legge and Balance engineer:  Arthur Clarke--no "C"  ;)  ).  The comments are interesting:  "He played little music of his own time, but his friendship with Sir Arthur Bliss resulted in a grand, post-Lisztian concerto that was premiered in New York with the New York Philharmonic in the context of the 1939 World Fair.  Solomon took it to many British cities during the Second World War and it became something of a symbol of Anglo-American solidarity."

Notes by Stephen Plaistow, 2008

Hadn't heard of Adam Zero before.  What was the title referring to by the way?

PD

Irons, any words of kindness or encouragement would be most welcome here now!

That Dunkirk CD sounds quite interesting too!

PD

Not much to add, P. Only that the concerto's dedication - To the People of the United States of America.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 09, 2020, 08:26:32 AM
Not sad at all, Jeffrey. My wife had a moan for me not wearing a poppy - how can you when not going anywhere due to lockdown? So for some digging exercise at allotment today poppy pinned to chest.

Great Lambert story. Typical of the man for wearing a DJ and not fatigues when escaping from Nazis. Bet he was smoking a cigar too!

That's a great LP cover with David McFall's wonderful head of VW, modelled while he was working on the Ninth Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2020, 04:33:21 AM
Jeffrey and Irons,

Looking at the booklet, it says that the Bliss PC was recorded with the Liverpool Phil. Orch. with Boult on January 12-13, 1943 (Producer:  Walter Legge and Balance engineer:  Arthur Clarke--no "C"  ;)  ).  The comments are interesting:  "He played little music of his own time, but his friendship with Sir Arthur Bliss resulted in a grand, post-Lisztian concerto that was premiered in New York with the New York Philharmonic in the context of the 1939 World Fair.  Solomon took it to many British cities during the Second World War and it became something of a symbol of Anglo-American solidarity."

Notes by Stephen Plaistow, 2008

Hadn't heard of Adam Zero before.  What was the title referring to by the way?

PD

Irons, any words of kindness or encouragement would be most welcome here now!

That Dunkirk CD sounds quite interesting too!

PD

I noticed PD that the Solomon box set featured nothing from his own time apart from the Bliss Concerto (Scriabin at least lived into the 20th Century).
Here is an Adam Zero synopsis:

The ballet is an allegory of the cycle of man's life; the world in which he lives is represented by a stage on which a ballet is being created: Adam is cast as the principal dancer, Omnipotence is represented by the Stage Director and Adam's Fates by the Designer, Wardrobe Mistress and Dresser.

Adam falls in love, marries, and achieves power, but his triumph is brief; his world crumbles about him, he is stripped of his glory, and a new generation (Understudy) takes his place. He seeks distraction in dissipation but everyone deserts him and he is left alone to face Death.[2]
I think that you'd like Adam Zero PD.
Here is the Dunkirk CD:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 01:19:08 PM
That's a great LP cover with David McFall's wonderful head of VW, modelled while he was working on the Ninth Symphony.
Ah, I've wondered who did that sculpture of VW.  :)

By the way, what is a DJ?

PD

Sorry, I missed your other posting (whilst typing).  Thanks for telling me about Adam Zero and the image of that Dunkirk CD Jeffrey.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2020, 01:23:32 PM
Ah, I've wondered who did that sculpture of VW.  :)

By the way, what is a DJ?

Pd

Dinner Jacket (usually black)

Pohjolas Daughter

We keep typing over each other.  I had just modified my earlier one to you whilst you were typing your dinner jacket reply! lol

But thanks!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Well, as a man of action I don't hang around with my GMG responses  ;D
Here are some recordings of Adam Zero:

My bedtime now - have a good evening PD  :)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 01:32:08 PM
Well, as a man of action I don't hang around with my GMG responses  ;D
Here are some recordings of Adam Zero:

My bedtime now - have a good evening PD  :)
:laugh:  Thanks Jeffrey.

And please, no nightmares about your daughter swiping a package of CDs from your doorstep and filling them with ones from your library!  >:D  :-*  ;)  Sweet dreams!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 09, 2020, 01:35:48 PM
:laugh:  Thanks Jeffrey.

And please, no nightmares about your daughter swiping a package of CDs from your doorstep and filling them with ones from your library!  >:D  :-*  ;)  Sweet dreams!

PD
Thank you!
Haha - as you see, I'm back again - just to post some info about the McFall Head of VW which you might find interesting:
http://davidmcfall.co.uk/page90.html

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 09, 2020, 01:57:16 PM
Thank you!
Haha - as you see, I'm back again - just to post some info about the McFall Head of VW which you might find interesting:

Most interesting! Brilliant that the WRC LP cover is listed in the link, I did not expect that.

I thought this excellent cover image of RVW worth posting. Taken from a portrait by Sir Gerald Kelly.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Handelian

I can remember quite some years ago a relative of mine leaving me some LPs some of which were original Columbia stereo. I had long since dispensed with my LPs so I contacted a dealer through the gramophone magazine. He offered me quite a high price as these LPs were valuable as they were original stereo and highly collectible. No doubt he sold them in a much higher price than he paid me but I was happy and so was he. Some of these old LPs are worth a fortune if they're in good condition

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on November 09, 2020, 11:16:20 PM
Most interesting! Brilliant that the WRC LP cover is listed in the link, I did not expect that.

I thought this excellent cover image of RVW worth posting. Taken from a portrait by Sir Gerald Kelly.

I hadn't noticed the WRC LP link. That EMI LP of Symphony No.8 coupled with the Vronsky/Babin/Boult recording of the Concerto for Two Pianos is a real nostalgia trip for me because, in the early days of my youthful VW obsession I continuously took that LP out of my local record library. And yes, it has one of the great cover images of VW. That painting belongs to the National Portrait Gallery and I often went to see it there. Some years ago I was appalled to see it no longer on display. So, I wrote a 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' type letter (Tunbridge Wells is just down the road anyway!) complaining that the gallery had not a single image of one of our greatest composers on display. I think that it has been reinstated. There is no VW museum either as there is for Holst and Elgar. Another great cover image is the McFall Head on the Boult boxed set of VW symphonies. I'm surprised that the McFall bronze head has, to my knowledge, only ever been used on the WRC LP of Symphony No.9 and on the Boult boxed set:

vandermolen

Quote from: Handelian on November 10, 2020, 12:19:14 AM
I can remember quite some years ago a relative of mine leaving me some LPs some of which were original Columbia stereo. I had long since dispensed with my LPs so I contacted a dealer through the gramophone magazine. He offered me quite a high price as these LPs were valuable as they were original stereo and highly collectible. No doubt he sold them in a much higher price than he paid me but I was happy and so was he. Some of these old LPs are worth a fortune if they're in good condition

Yes, I sold some of my LPs off one years and some of them were probably quite valuable. Recently I've bought some LPs again as I have a turntable (of sorts) but I only pay a few pounds for them. One of them is the LP posted by Irons above. I did have the LP of the PC but it had a much less interesting cover and coupling:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on November 10, 2020, 12:55:05 AM
I hadn't noticed the WRC LP link. That EMI LP of Symphony No.8 coupled with the Vronsky/Babin/Boult recording of the Concerto for Two Pianos is a real nostalgia trip for me because, in the early days of my youthful VW obsession I continuously took that LP out of my local record library. And yes, it has one of the great cover images of VW. That painting belongs to the National Portrait Gallery and I often went to see it there. Some years ago I was appalled to see it no longer on display. So, I wrote a 'disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' type letter (Tunbridge Wells is just down the road anyway!) complaining that the gallery had not a single image of one of our greatest composers on display. I think that it has been reinstated. There is no VW museum either as there is for Holst and Elgar. Another great cover image is the McFall Head on the Boult boxed set of VW symphonies. I'm surprised that the McFall bronze head has, to my knowledge, only ever been used on the WRC LP of Symphony No.9 and on the Boult boxed set:

Somehow or another I can't find the link to WRC that Irons mentioned.  Also, I clicked on the link to McFall's Pocahontas as I was curious as to what Epstein had said and couldn't find any info there.  Is it there and I just missed it?

Excellent painting of Vaughan Williams by the way.  And way to go Jeffrey for your letter writing!  ;D  Hadn't thought about it before now, but I can't believe that there isn't a museum dedicated to Vaughan Williams!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Sometime, Handelian, ask Irons about this.  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

A blue and silver label? There has only been one UK price guide in book form, from 2004 Rare Classical Record Price Guide. If you can recall any titles I will look them up.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on November 10, 2020, 12:55:05 AM

To my horror it dawned on me that I didn't own a copy of the EMI 8th Symphony on vinyl just recently. Soon rectified that!

You are right Jeffrey - why no museum? We visited Malvern on a pilgrimage of sorts and the visit to Elgar's house and the attached museum was an unforgettable experience. Also Britten's Red House is excellent but we love Aldeburgh anyway. Missed out on Holst - when the world gets back to normal......

Does angry of Tonbridge want a lawn to die for? My son, who's career in the travel industry fell away under his feet thanks to Covid, set out as a lawn treatment provider for the Eastbourne territory of 'Greensleeves' yesterday. One door closes, another opens. :)     

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 10, 2020, 04:46:06 AM
Somehow or another I can't find the link to WRC that Irons mentioned.  Also, I clicked on the link to McFall's Pocahontas as I was curious as to what Epstein had said and couldn't find any info there.  Is it there and I just missed it?

Excellent painting of Vaughan Williams by the way.  And way to go Jeffrey for your letter writing!  ;D  Hadn't thought about it before now, but I can't believe that there isn't a museum dedicated to Vaughan Williams!

PD

If you look down on the "references" of the link P you will come across WRC LP.

If a museum dedicated to RVW was in Dorking I would offer my services on a voluntary basis.   

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on November 10, 2020, 04:46:06 AM

PD
See Reference (iv) on the above page PD.

Oh, I see that Lol has already responded.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 10, 2020, 07:05:20 AM
If you look down on the "references" of the link P you will come across WRC LP.

If a museum dedicated to RVW was in Dorking I would offer my services on a voluntary basis.
Ah, thanks, I see it there now.

Wonder whether or not they would allow American volunteers?  :)  ;)

By the way, does anyone here know what work(s) Vaughan Williams was working on during the five modeling sessions?  I smiled when I read that "During the five days on which he came Ralph told me that he had worked harder than usual himself. 'I mustn't let the young man see me slacking,' he said."

extract from R.V.W. A Biography by Ursula Vaughan Williams

EDIT:  Thanks anyway Jeffrey!
Pohjolas Daughter