Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on November 29, 2020, 01:25:47 PM
I do not know David Geringas, P. Is that a German label?

In the past I avoided digital LP recordings but not any more as I have found them very good.
Checking my shelves I have two Fibich recordings: 2nd Symphony with Sejna and CPO (mono) and String Trio plus Quintet for Violin, Clarinet, French Horn, Cello and Piano.
Your Fibich looks very nice - I like the titles - I would purchase for certain if coming across a copy. Post your thoughts, I look forward to reading them.
I remember hearing about David Geringas years ago...I forget exactly how.  Checked into getting his Boccherini recording on Claves, but passed as it was quite expensive then.  Yes, it looks like Parnass is a German label; can't find out much about it, but it also says "Originalaufnahmen/Eurodisc MPC".  I believe that this was the original release:  https://www.discogs.com/Haydn-Boccherini-Vivaldi-David-Geringas-RIAS-Sinfonietta-Leopold-Hager-Berühmte-Cellokonzerte-Conce/release/10287981  This is a little bit about Geringas from Wiki (there's much more there):  "David Geringas (Lithuanian: Dovydas Geringas; born 29 July 1946 in Vilnius) is a Lithuanian cellist and conductor who studied under Mstislav Rostropovich. In 1970 he won the gold medal at the International Tchaikovsky Competition. He also plays the baryton, a rare instrument associated with music of Joseph Haydn.[1]"

The only other work that I have by Fibich is his String Quartet No. 1 with the Talich Quartet (the newer incarnation) on Calliope.  I was fortunate a number of years ago to purchase a box set of Czech quartets (on CD) which Callipe put together.  If you ever run across, grab it!   Wonderful recordings and in great sound.   :)  Note:  They are (or at least were?) available separately too.

PD

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Geringas'  recording of the Boccherini cello concertos set on Claves is magnificent.

Eurodisc is (was) indeed German and specialized particularly in releasing recordings from Melodiya label / the USSR on LP, for the German public.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 30, 2020, 08:56:55 AM
Geringas'  recording of the Boccherini cello concertos set on Claves is magnificent.

Eurodisc is (was) indeed German and specialized particularly in releasing recordings from Melodiya label / the USSR on LP, for the German public.
I suspect that I had heard how good they were and that was why I was trying to get ahold of them.  :) ;)  Thanks for the further info on Eurodisc too.

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Should the Boccherini set somehow appear cheaply, it will be worth it. But yes, it's surely expensive in the US.

I checked the German amazon.de though, and right now it's 3.5 Euros + postage there at Medimops currently.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 30, 2020, 01:25:59 PM
Should the Boccherini set somehow appear cheaply, it will be worth it. But yes, it's surely expensive in the US.

I checked the German amazon.de though, and right now it's 3.5 Euros + postage there at Medimops currently.
Thank you for the info; it was very sweet of you to check for me.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

prémont

Quote from: MusicTurner on November 28, 2020, 09:05:26 PM
What would be some of your favourites from them, then, preferably in stereo?

And I own the Wenzinger Brockes Passion, in stereo, but it's been ages since I heard it. And Lehmann's mono Water Music. Both LPs.

Well, i prefer stereo - but not exclusively, because some artists didn't live into the stereo age.

Fritz Lehmann died 1956, and I do not think he left any stereo recordings. Of his recordings I own the SMP, some Beethoven symphonies and Capriccio Italian, but I recall from my youth his Water music and some concerti grossi op.6 by Handel.

Concerning August Wenzinger I always admired his Brandenburg concertos (from 1950-53). Worth considering are also his recording of Bach's cello suites, Dowland's Lacrimae, Water music, Händels organ concertos (with Eduard Müller), and Machaut's messe. Recently I also got hold of his recording of Bach's orchestral suites.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MusicTurner

Thanks. Not stuff one'll see that often. I see there's a quite detailed, loyal review of the Wenz Brandenburgs on Amazon.co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brandenburg-Concertos-Nos/dp/B0097958R0

But it just doesn't seem to be items that will float my boat, I don't tend to investigate Baroque music into the degree of really many recordings. About a dozen of the Brandenburgs is the peak for me, but some have many more.

prémont

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 01, 2020, 08:08:05 PM
Thanks. Not stuff one'll see that often. I see there's a quite detailed, loyal review of the Wenz Brandenburgs on Amazon.co.uk
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brandenburg-Concertos-Nos/dp/B0097958R0

The review is about the later published electronic Heliodor stereo version, which was rather artificial sounding. The original Archiv mono is the one to have. The reviewer also writes, that only concerto 6 is played OPPP, but this is also true of concerto 3, and even if is not stated in the notes, I feel sure, that the ripieno section generally is played OPPP except maybe in concerto no 1.  The Brandenburg concertos have been a region of interest to me, and I own many versions. It's surprising how different they are.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Irons

A good haul this morning including a most interesting Russian box set.

Lajtha: Symphonies 4 (Spring) & 9. Hungarian State Orchestra, Ferencsik. Hungaroton.

Vaughan Williams: Wasps Overture, Dives & Lazarus, Oboe & Tuba Concertos. Barbirolli. The Barbirolli Society.

Ditto: Toward the Unknown Region, Serenade, Wasps and Greensleeves. Sargent LSO. HMV.

Bax: 5th Symphony, LPO Leppard, Lyrita (a whole batch of Lyritas at Farnham including the Morgan VC which is rare).

Ditto: 3rd Symphony & Happy Forest, Downes LSO. RCA.

CP & JC Bach: Symphonies & Concertos. Collegium Aureum. BASF (double).

Nystroem: Sinfonia del Mare. Westerberg, Swedish Radio Orchestra. Swedish Society.

Prokofiev: Collected Chamber works. Melodiya (4 LPs).
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

MusicTurner

Nice. And that Lajtha rarity is the best recording of those symphonies ...

Never saw that Prokofiev chamber music box ... stereo, presumably ?

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 05, 2020, 05:57:18 AM

Lajtha: Symphonies 4 (Spring) & 9. Hungarian State Orchestra, Ferencsik. Hungaroton.

Vaughan Williams: Wasps Overture, Dives & Lazarus, Oboe & Tuba Concertos. Barbirolli. The Barbirolli Society.

Ditto: Toward the Unknown Region, Serenade, Wasps and Greensleeves. Sargent LSO. HMV.

Bax: 5th Symphony, LPO Leppard, Lyrita (a whole batch of Lyritas at Farnham including the Morgan VC which is rare).

Nystroem: Sinfonia del Mare. Westerberg, Swedish Radio Orchestra. Swedish Society.

What a great selection Lol! The Leppard Bax is the best available IMO and the most epic, likewise the Downes No.3 although mine is the minority view. The Nystroem is a wonderful work of which I have three versions on CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 05, 2020, 10:18:32 PM
What a great selection Lol! The Leppard Bax is the best available IMO and the most epic, likewise the Downes No.3 although mine is the minority view. The Nystroem is a wonderful work of which I have three versions on CD.

I think the vinyl Gods were looking down at me, Jeffrey. I confess of not even have heard of Nystroem, a complete shot in the dark, that you give a thumbs up is excellent news. I was shocked to find the Lajtha LP, again a composer I had not heard of (although I have since discovered I have a string quartet by him as a coupling of Beethoven of all people!) until watching the Hurwitz video a couple of days ago which spiked my interest. Very odd as the same thing happened following your heads-up at the same store with Hadley/Sainton CD last year. If Nystroem and Lajtha prove to be as valued, then happy days! :)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 06, 2020, 01:01:27 AM
I think the vinyl Gods were looking down at me, Jeffrey. I confess of not even have heard of Nystroem, a complete shot in the dark, that you give a thumbs up is excellent news. I was shocked to find the Lajtha LP, again a composer I had not heard of (although I have since discovered I have a string quartet by him as a coupling of Beethoven of all people!) until watching the Hurwitz video a couple of days ago which spiked my interest. Very odd as the same thing happened following your heads-up at the same store with Hadley/Sainton CD last year. If Nystroem and Lajtha prove to be as valued, then happy days! :)
Sounds like the intervention of Fate Lol  ;D
I remember a very odd experience with an online dealer over a BBC Radio Classics CD of extracts from a radio version of Pilgrim's Progress by VW. He sent me the Boult version which I already had and then did not reply to my emails. I then wrote a negative review. He responded by suggesting that I was trying to rip him off by ordering and copying CDs and then demanding a refund - a completely dishonourable practice. I responded asking him why I would order a CD that was already in my collection and pointing out that the picture on his website was not of the CD that he sent me. He apologised and told me to keep the Boult set 'as a sorry' but I sent it back and removed my stroppy review, which I had probably been too hasty to post. Anyway, I thought that was the end of it but a day or two later he contacted me again to say that someone had just come in to his shop with the rare BBC Radio Classics CD which I had wanted in the first place. He told me that he had to sit down to recover himself after that experience. I then bought the CD from him and we ended up on friendly terms.
I look forward to hearing what you think of the Nystroem which is a hauntingly beautiful work - you'll know that moment when you get there. ,
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 05, 2020, 05:57:18 AM

Well done Irons!  Wish that I were there to scoop up the Lyritas.   :(  Out of curiosity, who recorded the Prokofiev chamber works?

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2020, 01:31:20 AM
I remember a very odd experience with an online dealer over a BBC Radio Classics CD of extracts from a radio version of Pilgrim's Progress by VW. He sent me the Boult version which I already had and then did not reply to my emails. I then wrote a negative review. He responded by suggesting that I was trying to rip him off by ordering and copying CDs and then demanding a refund - a completely dishonourable practice. I responded asking him why I would order a CD that was already in my collection and pointing out that the picture on his website was not of the CD that he sent me. He apologised and told me to keep the Boult set 'as a sorry' but I sent it back and removed my stroppy review, which I had probably been too hasty to post. Anyway, I thought that was the end of it but a day or two later he contacted me again to say that someone had just come in to his shop with the rare BBC Radio Classics CD which I had wanted in the first place. He told me that he had to sit down to recover himself after that experience. I then bought the CD from him and we ended up on friendly terms.
I look forward to hearing what you think of the Nystroem which is a hauntingly beautiful work - you'll know that moment when you get there. ,
Jeffrey,

Is this the Vaughan Williams one which you were searching for (and found)?  https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8077163--vaughan-williams-the-pilgrim-s-progress

Best wishes,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 06, 2020, 01:31:20 AM

To be fair it is quite likely he has been ripped off  ;D in the past and jumped to the wrong conclusion and felt pretty bad about it. Then divine intervention intervenes, the CD causing the problem falls into his hands and he is able to right a wrong. I bet he was very pleased with the outcome and his conscience cleared.

You mention dishonourable practice, Jeffrey. I have heard of a scam where a rare expensive LP in mint condition is purchased online and the buyer replaces the good copy by a poor one, returns it and demands a refund. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 06, 2020, 06:47:07 AM
To be fair it is quite likely he has been ripped off  ;D in the past and jumped to the wrong conclusion and felt pretty bad about it. Then divine intervention intervenes, the CD causing the problem falls into his hands and he is able to right a wrong. I bet he was very pleased with the outcome and his conscience cleared.

You mention dishonourable practice, Jeffrey. I have heard of a scam where a rare expensive LP in mint condition is purchased online and the buyer replaces the good copy by a poor one, returns it and demands a refund.
Oooh!  Evildoers!!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 06, 2020, 05:24:25 AM
Well done Irons!  Wish that I were there to scoop up the Lyritas.   :(  Out of curiosity, who recorded the Prokofiev chamber works?

Best wishes,

PD

A very good question, P! No translation and my Russian is poor - non-existent actually ??? Luckily enough the leaflet with the box includes photos of the artists - David and Igor Oistrakh, Kremer, Shafran and others I have not heard of. I am struggling with the accompanists, which all of which with the exception of Shafran's are female. Both string quartets are performed by an all female quartet which for Soviet Russia is surprising and I have not heard of such an ensemble.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 06, 2020, 07:09:17 AM
A very good question, P! No translation and my Russian is poor - non-existent actually ??? Luckily enough the leaflet with the box includes photos of the artists - David and Igor Oistrakh, Kremer, Shafran and others I have not heard of. I am struggling with the accompanists, which all of which with the exception of Shafran's are female. Both string quartets are performed by an all female quartet which for Soviet Russia is surprising and I have not heard of such an ensemble.
Is it this set?  If so, the artists are listed (scroll down).  https://www.ebay.com/itm/MELODIYA-S-PROKOFIEV-COLLECTED-WORKS-ON-RECORDS-OISTRAKH-4-LPs-BOX-NM-/254526659870

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 06, 2020, 07:56:46 AM
Is it this set?  If so, the artists are listed (scroll down).  https://www.ebay.com/itm/MELODIYA-S-PROKOFIEV-COLLECTED-WORKS-ON-RECORDS-OISTRAKH-4-LPs-BOX-NM-/254526659870

PD

PD, you are clever! 8) Yes that is the one, I have printed off the description to keep with the box - the seller does not know the string quartet but the rest of the artists are all listed. Many thanks.
By the way I paid £20.

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 06, 2020, 05:24:25 AM
Jeffrey,

Is this the Vaughan Williams one which you were searching for (and found)?  https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8077163--vaughan-williams-the-pilgrim-s-progress

Best wishes,

PD
It was this one PD: