Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 06, 2020, 06:47:07 AM
To be fair it is quite likely he has been ripped off  ;D in the past and jumped to the wrong conclusion and felt pretty bad about it. Then divine intervention intervenes, the CD causing the problem falls into his hands and he is able to right a wrong. I bet he was very pleased with the outcome and his conscience cleared.

You mention dishonourable practice, Jeffrey. I have heard of a scam where a rare expensive LP in mint condition is purchased online and the buyer replaces the good copy by a poor one, returns it and demands a refund.

You are probably right Lol. We ended up on friendly terms and had some nice communications. I had been too hasty to write the stroppy review anyway. Nothing surprises me these days about some people's duplicity, but those kind of stories are deeply dispiriting.
I've always admired Taoism as a philosophy and one of their sayings is 'Trust the trustworthy. Trust the untrustworthy. Then you will gain in trust'. I try, not always successfully, to follow this.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 07, 2020, 12:24:49 AM
PD, you are clever! 8) Yes that is the one, I have printed off the description to keep with the box - the seller does not know the string quartet but the rest of the artists are all listed. Many thanks.
By the way I paid £20.
Thank you!  :D  I just double-checked and you're correct about the two string quartets not listing the musicians.  Ah!  I just found this (after further 'sleuthing');  I wonder whether or not the first link that I provided you had the last two LPs incorrectly identified?  Pretty easy to tell:  are they string quartets or not?  Take a look at this other listing (works and musicians identified):
https://www.cdandlp.com/en/shafran-gavrysh-yagling-oistrakh-monighetti/prokofiev-complete-recordings-cello-and-violin-works-ussr-melodiya-4lp-box-mint/lp-box-set/r117996126/

Note that the first two LPs (and as far as I can tell photo of the box set) are identical.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 07, 2020, 04:02:23 AM
You are probably right Lol. We ended up on friendly terms and had some nice communications. I had been too hasty to write the stroppy review anyway. Nothing surprises me these days about some people's duplicity, but those kind of stories are deeply dispiriting.
I've always admired Taoism as a philosophy and one of their sayings is 'Trust the trustworthy. Trust the untrustworthy. Then you will gain in trust'. I try, not always successfully, to follow this.

Been there, Jeffrey. I actually think your situation worked out very well but horrible when it does not. The internet magnifies the problem. A wise philosophy but easier said then done.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 07, 2020, 04:09:02 AM
Thank you!  :D  I just double-checked and you're correct about the two string quartets not listing the musicians.  Ah!  I just found this (after further 'sleuthing');  I wonder whether or not the first link that I provided you had the last two LPs incorrectly identified?  Pretty easy to tell:  are they string quartets or not?  Take a look at this other listing (works and musicians identified):
https://www.cdandlp.com/en/shafran-gavrysh-yagling-oistrakh-monighetti/prokofiev-complete-recordings-cello-and-violin-works-ussr-melodiya-4lp-box-mint/lp-box-set/r117996126/

Note that the first two LPs (and as far as I can tell photo of the box set) are identical.

PD

How weird. My box set definitely has the two string quartets on the fourth LP.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 07, 2020, 07:25:39 AM
Been there, Jeffrey. I actually think your situation worked out very well but horrible when it does not. The internet magnifies the problem. A wise philosophy but easier said then done.
Yes, very true Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

MusicTurner

Quote from: Irons on December 07, 2020, 07:39:30 AM

The female quartet was simply called the Prokofiev Quartet and did other Melodiya LPs too.
Here's one currently on eBay (I'd have to work on the names, but the cellist's name is there; they're playing Grieg's Quartet and Wolff's Italian Serenade)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROKOFIEV-QUARTET-with-autograph-KIRA-SLAVYANOVA-on-the-cover-of-the-record-/142828661863

EDIT: the names were often:
Polina Guberman 1st violin, Ludmila Granova 2nd violin, Galina Odinetz viola, Kira Slavyanova cello; but the violist varied, and it's is different here, Galina Vakromeeva or something like that. Maybe she simply married ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 07, 2020, 07:39:30 AM
Strange!  I did see that photo of the female quartet somewhere online too, but can't remember where!  ::)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 07, 2020, 09:51:09 AM
The female quartet was simply called the Prokofiev Quartet and did other Melodiya LPs too.
Here's one currently on eBay (I'd have to work on the names, but the cellist's name is there; they're playing Grieg's Quartet and Wolff's Italian Serenade)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PROKOFIEV-QUARTET-with-autograph-KIRA-SLAVYANOVA-on-the-cover-of-the-record-/142828661863

Polina Guberman 1st violin, Ludmila Granova 2nd violin, Galina Odinetz viola, Kira Slavyanova cello; but the violist varied, and it's is different here, Galina Vakromeeva or something like that. Maybe she simply married ...

Mystery solved, thanks. I have not come across the Prokofiev Quartet before.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 07, 2020, 09:51:09 AM

Sorry that I missed your post yesterday.  Good job you!  Do you have any recordings by them MT?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

My most recent LP acquisition:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 14, 2020, 11:39:32 AM
My most recent LP acquisition:

Great! Is your copy a red or yellow label, Jeffrey?

Pohjolas Daughter

Nice acquisition Jeffrey!

Alas, most of the LPs of VW with Previn that I've found haven't been the greatest of pressings, etc.  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 08, 2020, 04:38:29 AM
Sorry that I missed your post yesterday.  Good job you!  Do you have any recordings by them MT?

PD

Sorry about my late answer: yes, I own Boris Tchaikovsky's 5th Quartet, possibly a single item more. I don't register according to artists, so that's just what I remember. But there's a - possibly incomplete - discography of their recordings here:
https://www.discogs.com/artist/2114063-Prokofiev-Quartet

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks MT for that link.  I wonder why their names (members) were crossed out?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 15, 2020, 05:53:49 AM
Thanks MT for that link.  I wonder why their names (members) were crossed out?

PD

Hm, I don't know either. Maybe-maybe because they could vary through time ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on December 15, 2020, 05:56:48 AM
Hm, I don't know either. Maybe-maybe because they could vary through time ...
That's what I was thinking too.
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

After success of last visit a return was always on the cards.

Stenhammar: 2nd Symphony. Stockholm Phil, Westerberg. Caprice.

Somervell, Butterworth, Moeran, Peel, Orr, Gibbs, Bax, Ireland and Gurney: A Shropshire Lad. Trew, Vignoles and The Coull Quartet. Meridian (double album).

Haydn: Symphonies 100 & 104. AAM Hogwood. L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Lennox Berkeley: 1st Symphony/Concerto for Two Pianos. LPO Del Mar. Lyrita.

Howells: Piano Quartet, Fantasy String Quartet, Rhapsodic Quintet. Richards Ensemble with Thea King. Lyrita.

Bliss; A Colour Symphony/Things to Come. RPO Groves. EMI.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 18, 2020, 06:35:34 AM
After success of last visit a return was always on the cards.

Stenhammar: 2nd Symphony. Stockholm Phil, Westerberg. Caprice.

Somervell, Butterworth, Moeran, Peel, Orr, Gibbs, Bax, Ireland and Gurney: A Shropshire Lad. Trew, Vignoles and The Coull Quartet. Meridian (double album).

Haydn: Symphonies 100 & 104. AAM Hogwood. L'Oiseau-Lyre.

Lennox Berkeley: 1st Symphony/Concerto for Two Pianos. LPO Del Mar. Lyrita.

Howells: Piano Quartet, Fantasy String Quartet, Rhapsodic Quintet. Richards Ensemble with Thea King. Lyrita.

Bliss; A Colour Symphony/Things to Come. RPO Groves. EMI.
What a great haul Lol! The Berkeley, Bliss and Stenhammar LPs are unrivalled performances. The Berkeley Symphony No.1 is far better coupled with the marvellous Concerto for Two Pianos that with the far less interesting work of Berkeley Jnr on the Chandos CD. That was a misconceived idea IMO.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 18, 2020, 09:07:01 AM
What a great haul Lol! The Berkeley, Bliss and Stenhammar LPs are unrivalled performances. The Berkeley Symphony No.1 is far better coupled with the marvellous Concerto for Two Pianos that with the far less interesting work of Berkeley Jnr on the Chandos CD. That was a misconceived idea IMO.

Played Bliss Colours last night (twice) Jeffrey, I needed a "modern" recording. Morning Heroes also on the store shelf.

Also played some of the "Shropshire Lad" which threw up some mildly interesting thoughts. After more listening I may comment later if worthwhile.

Have you viewed the Hurwitzer RVW video yet? He can do a much better English accent then I can American! 

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 14, 2020, 01:23:29 PM
Great! Is your copy a red or yellow label, Jeffrey?
Hi Lol.
Red - is that good news?
:)