Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 18, 2020, 11:58:51 PM
Played Bliss Colours last night (twice) Jeffrey, I needed a "modern" recording. Morning Heroes also on the store shelf.

Also played some of the "Shropshire Lad" which threw up some mildly interesting thoughts. After more listening I may comment later if worthwhile.

Have you viewed the Hurwitzer RVW video yet? He can do a much better English accent then I can American!

You need 'Morning Heroes' (Groves) Lol - by far the best performance IMO. Which RVW video? I listen to one on 'Job' which Hurwitz considers his greatest work.

I was amused by the Classics Today review of Elder's recording of VW's Symphony No.6 (not written by Hurwitz) which says that it sounds like the soundtrack to a Lassie movie!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 19, 2020, 12:31:05 AM
You need 'Morning Heroes' (Groves) Lol - by far the best performance IMO. Which RVW video? I listen to one on 'Job' which Hurwitz considers his greatest work.

I was amused by the Classics Today review of Elder's recording of VW's Symphony No.6 (not written by Hurwitz) which says that it sounds like the soundtrack to a Lassie movie!
??? ::) :laugh:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 19, 2020, 12:29:04 AM
Hi Lol.
Red - is that good news?
:)

;D As you are probably aware Jeffrey an anorak is part of my wardrobe. Good news either way, red comes first followed by yellow. Red are far as I'm aware British pressings and yellow German. Does it make a difference? Not really, but I like to know.  8)   
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 19, 2020, 12:31:05 AM

Hurwitz does take the p--- out of the Brits. He does have a point. :)  https://youtu.be/kDIaepn3758
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 19, 2020, 06:59:28 AM
Hurwitz does take the p--- out of the Brits. He does have a point. :)  https://youtu.be/kDIaepn3758
That was one of the only Hurwitz videos that I found irritating. Not because of his p--- take of the Brits but because of some sloppy basic errors.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 20, 2020, 12:31:35 PM
That was one of the only Hurwitz videos that I found irritating. Not because of his p--- take of the Brits but because of some sloppy basic errors.

I missed the one's you spotted, Jeffrey. Obviously not paying attention, but I did pick up on the mono Decca eight symphonies when of course the 8th is stereo.

Pohjolas Daughter

I was surprised to hear him say (something along the lines of) that he didn't believe that most people had heard the Everest/Boult/Ninth recording before; I love it!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

The Electric Record Company are currently producing facsimile copies of selected classical and jazz recordings - https://electricrecordingco.com/shop
Selling at a cool £300 + each a limited run is usually sold out within 24 hours. 2nd hand copies are being sold at two to three times cost price.

A short video showing the care and expertise that goes into a The Electric Record Company LP.
https://youtu.be/DhMuIqa9Dno

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 06, 2021, 01:48:25 AM
The Electric Record Company are currently producing facsimile copies of selected classical and jazz recordings - https://electricrecordingco.com/shop
Selling at a cool £300 + each a limited run is usually sold out within 24 hours. 2nd hand copies are being sold at two to three times cost price.

A short video showing the care and expertise that goes into a The Electric Record Company LP.
https://youtu.be/DhMuIqa9Dno
Ooooh!   Would love to get ahold of one of the Starker Bach's!

Hadn't heard of Yura Guller before now.  Do you have any of her recordings Irons?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 06, 2021, 04:22:14 AM
Ooooh!   Would love to get ahold of one of the Starker Bach's!

Hadn't heard of Yura Guller before now.  Do you have any of her recordings Irons?

PD

PD, Starker's Bach on this label would be a pension pot, not something to play and enjoy!

I did not notice Yura Guller on the label's roster. I actually do have a Nimbus LP by her.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 06, 2021, 07:41:25 AM
PD, Starker's Bach on this label would be a pension pot, not something to play and enjoy!

I did not notice Yura Guller on the label's roster. I actually do have a Nimbus LP by her.
True! lol

I did see at least two LPs of her recordings (both Chopin):  https://theelectricrecordingco.com/shop/nocturnes and

https://theelectricrecordingco.com/shop/mazurkas-favorites

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

New purchase via Oxfam Shop
I once owned the original LP when it was first released:

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on January 06, 2021, 09:23:19 AM

Excellent find you!
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Irons

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 06, 2021, 09:23:19 AM

Great find, Jeffrey. That issue is my favourite of the three due to best sound but two more from the same source you may consider.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 07, 2021, 12:49:02 AM
Great find, Jeffrey. That issue is my favourite of the three due to best sound but two more from the same source you may consider.

Thanks Lol - I don't know either of them. I like the look of the one featuring 'In the Tatras' which is a wonderful work. I think (famous last words) that I should cease buying more LPs (three are on the way  ::)) until I decide if I'm going to get a decent quality turntable. I doubt whether my old Dual one would function now.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 07, 2021, 12:38:51 AM
Think I'm due a visit to Specsavers. 8)
You and me both!  I'm trying to read the names of various people who have resigned, etc., following yesterday's events in DC on my t.v. and I can't even read them up close!  Mind you, I don't currently have a high-def broadcast package, so this is not helping things.   :(
Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2021, 12:58:43 AM
Thanks Lol - I don't know either of them. I like the look of the one featuring 'In the Tatras' which is a wonderful work. I think (famous last words) that I should cease buying more LPs (three are on the way  ::)) until I decide if I'm going to get a decent quality turntable. I doubt whether my old Dual one would function now.
Go for it Jeffrey!  :D  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 07, 2021, 12:58:43 AM

A turntable is the easy bit, Jeffrey. Plenty of excellent examples available on the 2nd hand market. http://www.retrotechaudio.co.uk/currently-for-sale.html

More challenging is incorporating into a modern setup as a phono input is unlikely to be available, although there are ways around this. PD I know and increasingly more listeners, as proved by increased LP sales, have CD as a primary source and yet able to enjoy the benefits that vinyl brings - in your case, for starters Bax 3 and Goossens 1  >:D. Anyway, LP is more fun then CD. ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 07, 2021, 07:57:26 AM
A turntable is the easy bit, Jeffrey. Plenty of excellent examples available on the 2nd hand market. http://www.retrotechaudio.co.uk/currently-for-sale.html

More challenging is incorporating into a modern setup as a phono input is unlikely to be available, although there are ways around this. PD I know and increasingly more listeners, as proved by increased LP sales, have CD as a primary source and yet able to enjoy the benefits that vinyl brings - in your case, for starters Bax 3 and Goossens 1  >:D. Anyway, LP is more fun then CD. ;)
Perhaps some suggestions for Jeffrey of a decent *separate phono preamp (don't know what his price-range is)?  Also, a question for Jeffrey, how much room do you have around your other stereo equipment to fit in a turntable and separate amp?  You might also be able to use a wall-mounted shelf (several benefits for that one)?

*I remember that there was one which MW liked to use.  Was it a Graham Slee?  I found this:  https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/accessories/best-phono-preamps

Trying to remember, do you use a separate phono preamp Irons?  I'm thinking that you do.  If so, what do you use and how do you like it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter