Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidW

Quote from: vandermolen on March 01, 2021, 11:48:08 AM
Yes, we are David. There are, AFAIK, only two recordings, the one conducted by Kabalevsky which has had various LP and CD manifestations and the more recent CPO recording. I wouldn't be without either of them.

I didn't realize that there were only two recordings!

Pohjolas Daughter

So, I'm curious as to where you guys are currently able to (and willing to go to these days) go to to shop for LPs at the moment?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 02, 2021, 07:07:13 AM
So, I'm curious as to where you guys are currently able to (and willing to go to these days) go to to shop for LPs at the moment?

PD

In a way PD I am enjoying my sabbatical from buying LPs - the only good thing to come out of covid. With a fairly large collection of 6000ish I am enjoying reacquainting with records not exactly forgotten but discovering they are in fact better then I thought they were. I dare say when the world opens up I will climb back in the saddle as I get nearly as much pleasure buying LPs as listening to them. But the truth is I have well enough to see me out.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 03, 2021, 12:44:53 AM
In a way PD I am enjoying my sabbatical from buying LPs - the only good thing to come out of covid. With a fairly large collection of 6000ish I am enjoying reacquainting with records not exactly forgotten but discovering they are in fact better then I thought they were. I dare say when the world opens up I will climb back in the saddle as I get nearly as much pleasure buying LPs as listening to them. But the truth is I have well enough to see me out.
Glad that you are stockpiled up there Irons!  :)  What shops/stores that you like to frequent are open at the moment?  Or hope to open soon?  The usual haunts in my area have been open for some time but with reduced numbers of customers allowed in at one time [I believe it's currently 25% of capacity?] with hand sanitizer stations by the doors and masks and social-distancing required.  I haven't been to any charity shops in some time though.

Like you, I have an ample store of both CDs and LPs to work my way through too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 03, 2021, 02:13:20 AM
Glad that you are stockpiled up there Irons!  :)  What shops/stores that you like to frequent are open at the moment?  Or hope to open soon?  The usual haunts in my area have been open for some time but with reduced numbers of customers allowed in at one time [I believe it's currently 25% of capacity?] with hand sanitizer stations by the doors and masks and social-distancing required.  I haven't been to any charity shops in some time though.

Like you, I have an ample store of both CDs and LPs to work my way through too.

PD

Nothing open here PD, we are still in a midst of lockdown. Visiting your family is a criminal offence never mind a record shop!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 03, 2021, 08:18:08 AM
Nothing open here PD, we are still in a midst of lockdown. Visiting your family is a criminal offence never mind a record shop!
Wow!  Probably smarter to do it 'your' way.  A number of POBs are worried about how certain states are dropping a lot of the restrictions and opening up things too quickly.  You'd think that with vaccines starting to roll out that folks could be patient for a few more months (Hard, I'm sure, if you own your own business though..plus it looks like unemployment benefits will be ending soon too).  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 01, 2021, 12:04:52 PM
:o  Oh, my!  Did you ever manage to get transferred to the record department?  I'm sure that they could have used you there.

PD
No PD but when I got another job in another department store I did work in the record dept. At Harrods I did at least spend my lunch breaks browsing round the record dept. and used my staff discount. The best discovery that I made there was Moeran's Symphony conducted by Neville Dilkes on LP. I had neither heard of the work or the composer and it has remained one of my favourite symphonies:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 02, 2021, 07:07:13 AM

PD
Just online PD (Amazon/discogs/ebay) but that has been the case for a long time before lockdown, as the old record shops have long disappeared.  :(
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

I was not sure where to put this so I have cross posted it from the Classical Listening thread.

The Four Seasons in Kyoto [Tosha Suiho]

If you want to get into a Zen Zone this could well be the thing for you. It is very serene. The music is played on Japanese flute and is occasionally set against the background of singing birds, chanting monks as well as a gong and flowing water; but it is primarily solo flute playing. I will immediately say that this will not be for everybody. However, I found it to be very atmospheric, relaxing and peace inducing. The presentation is nicely laid out on four LPs with each season represented on each respective disc. It was a lovely purchase; the vinyl was in pristine condition.

Pohjolas Daughter

A few LP purchases yesterday (also posted in Latest acquisitions thread):

Martinu's Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 for Violin and Orchestra with Josef Suk, Neumann and the Czech Phil. Orch. on Supraphon
Gérard Souzay & Dalton Baldwin:  Songs of Poulenc on RCA Victor Red Seal
Panufnik's Sinfonia Sacra and Sinfonia Rustica with the Monte Carlo Opera Orchestra conducted by the composer on Unicorn

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 22, 2021, 03:11:48 AM

Martinu's Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 for Violin and Orchestra with Josef Suk, Neumann and the Czech Phil. Orch. on Supraphon
Panufnik's Sinfonia Sacra and Sinfonia Rustica with the Monte Carlo Opera Orchestra conducted by the composer on Unicorn

PD

I have the first and third on my shelves PD but perhaps the most unusual and the most interesting is Poulenc. Great purchase.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 22, 2021, 08:13:03 AM
I have the first and third on my shelves PD but perhaps the most unusual and the most interesting is Poulenc. Great purchase.
Thanks!  A friend and I ventured into a record store [There were only three of us in there plus the two owners.  One owner left soon thereafter plus the other customer, so quite a bit of space between all of us.].  Per normal, I'm often the only one flipping through the classical LPs....though I did also look through the film section (hoping to find some Waxman/Gerhardt LPs)--which is right next to it.  My friend did also manage to find a Hollies LP in excellent shape there (the owner/wife had put it on and we were all enjoying it).

The Poulenc one is a Dynagroove (stereo vs. mono) one though in pristine shape.  Fingers crossed here.

PD

p.s.  I only have a tiny bit of Panufnik so this will be an experiment!
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 22, 2021, 08:20:18 AM
Thanks!  A friend and I ventured into a record store [There were only three of us in there plus the two owners.  One owner left soon thereafter plus the other customer, so quite a bit of space between all of us.].  Per normal, I'm often the only one flipping through the classical LPs....though I did also look through the film section (hoping to find some Waxman/Gerhardt LPs)--which is right next to it.  My friend did also manage to find a Hollies LP in excellent shape there (the owner/wife had put it on and we were all enjoying it).

The Poulenc one is a Dynagroove (stereo vs. mono) one though in pristine shape.  Fingers crossed here.

PD

p.s.  I only have a tiny bit of Panufnik so this will be an experiment!

Ah Dynagroove. RCA got an absolute kicking from American audiophiles for that. Decca for the British market retained the moniker but ignored the process for RCA Dynagroove LPs released under licence.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 22, 2021, 08:36:48 AM
Ah Dynagroove. RCA got an absolute kicking from American audiophiles for that. Decca for the British market retained the moniker but ignored the process for RCA Dynagroove LPs released under licence.
Ah, I was confusing it with *Dynaflex in my mind.  Perhaps I might be able to exchange it for something else?  I've often shopped there.  If not, at least it wasn't expensive.  If nothing else, I could just take it as a learning/listening experience and see what it sounds like. 

*Been some time since I've read about labels and recordings news...and brain failed me!  :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 22, 2021, 09:32:06 AM
Irons,

Is this record listed like the ones that you were referring to in the UK?  Or do they say Decca on the label instead?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SB-6782-Songs-Of-Poulenc-Gerard-Souzay-Dalton-Baldwin-EXCELLENT-Stereo-RCA/363120160714?hash=item548ba5efca:g:ursAAOSwHUdfbuu0

PD

Yes they do. I have posted an example below. Coincidently both Poulenc and Nielsen were recorded in the same year. The Poulenc is, I think, a later pressing but still could be a Decca pressing but likely I think not. I know Decca transfer engineers dispensed with Dynagroove and probable other UK pressing plants would use the same masters.

By the way I would be more then happy to own that recording Dynagroove or not!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 23, 2021, 01:04:56 AM
Yes they do. I have posted an example below. Coincidently both Poulenc and Nielsen were recorded in the same year. The Poulenc is, I think, a later pressing but still could be a Decca pressing but likely I think not. I know Decca transfer engineers dispensed with Dynagroove and probable other UK pressing plants would use the same masters.

By the way I would be more then happy to own that recording Dynagroove or not!
I'm rather confused as I thought that the sound was supposed to be horrible--at least with modern elliptical styluses?  The one that I had sent you a link to says "Manufactured by RCA, Ltd. England from master recordings" and doesn't say anything about Decca.  Well, I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is what my label looks like (and made in the US):    Whoops!  Came out pretty tiny.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 23, 2021, 07:53:00 AM
I'm rather confused as I thought that the sound was supposed to be horrible--at least with modern elliptical styluses?  The one that I had sent you a link to says "Manufactured by RCA, Ltd. England from master recordings" and doesn't say anything about Decca.  Well, I'll let you know how it turns out.

This is what my label looks like (and made in the US):    Whoops!  Came out pretty tiny.

PD

Now you have me confused. Do you have a US or UK pressing? I for years would not touch digital LPs with a barge pole. I have since found many are quite good. The received wisdom is that Decca Phase 4 are poor due to multi-miked spotlighted recordings. My best Dvorak Symphony 9 is on Phrase 4. I would not throw out Dynagroove just because it is that.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 23, 2021, 08:35:15 AM
Now you have me confused. Do you have a US or UK pressing? I for years would not touch digital LPs with a barge pole. I have since found many are quite good. The received wisdom is that Decca Phase 4 are poor due to multi-miked spotlighted recordings. My best Dvorak Symphony 9 is on Phrase 4. I would not throw out Dynagroove just because it is that.
Sorry to be confusing.  I had mentioned (see above posting) that mine was made in the US.  I had included a (tiny) photo (found on Ebay) that gives you an idea as to what the label looks like (Notice the RCA and Red Seal are more contemporary).  Also, I found this to be of interest on Wiki...how accurate it is???  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynagroove

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 22, 2021, 03:11:48 AM

PD
I have/had the LPs of Panufnik and Martinu - both VG.