Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 03, 2021, 05:14:16 AM
My sincerest condolences on the death of your mother.

+1 Very sorry to hear that.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on April 03, 2021, 10:48:11 AM
Very interesting description of its capabilities; thank you for that.
How did you eventually sort it out? Was it by trial and error, researching on the web or contacting them directly?

Thanks. For VTF I used the Cartridge Database at Vinyl Engine. My tonearm is a fixed head shell type so at the best of times installing a cartridge is problematic. Without colour coding on cartridge body wiring the four tonearm wires upside down is a nightmare. The Koetsu has a longer body then standard which adds to the fun. I find the easiest cartridges to install are Audio-Technica.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on April 04, 2021, 12:40:19 AM
Thanks. For VTF I used the Cartridge Database at Vinyl Engine. My tonearm is a fixed head shell type so at the best of times installing a cartridge is problematic. Without colour coding on cartridge body wiring the four tonearm wires upside down is a nightmare. The Koetsu has a longer body then standard which adds to the fun. I find the easiest cartridges to install are Audio-Technica.

Yes, all in a day's work for a vinyl enthusiast. Thankfully cart changes are not too frequent.

aligreto

The Poetry of Thomas Hardy read by Richard Burton

As a young man I devoured the writings of Hardy. Burton's voice is one that echoes through the ages. It is just such a pleasure to listen to him speaking.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on April 07, 2021, 12:01:32 PM

As a young man I devoured the writings of Hardy. Burton's voice is one that echoes through the ages. It is just such a pleasure to listen to him speaking.

Settings of Hardy by British composers are endless and listening to song I have come to realise the genius of him.

Argo made a speciality of issuing spoken word on LP.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 07, 2021, 12:01:32 PM

'The Darkling Thrush' by Thomas Hardy is one of my favourite poems. The rather tragic figure of Robert Milford based a rather beautiful (purely orchestral) tone poem on it. I wonder if you or Lol know it. There is a Dutton CD recording:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on April 08, 2021, 06:33:55 AM
Settings of Hardy by British composers are endless and listening to song I have come to realise the genius of him.

Argo made a speciality of issuing spoken word on LP.

I also have some recording of and by Dylan Thomas but I cannot remember which label they are on.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 08, 2021, 06:41:05 AM
'The Darkling Thrush' by Thomas Hardy is one of my favourite poems. The rather tragic figure of Robert Milford based a rather beautiful (purely orchestral) tone poem on it. I wonder if you or Lol know it. There is a Dutton CD recording:

I may have read it but I honestly do not remember it, Jeffrey, to be honest. I will look it up.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 08, 2021, 06:46:03 AM
I may have read it but I honestly do not remember it, Jeffrey, to be honest. I will look it up.
Yes, do Fergus - I think that it's very special. I first heard it when the bishop of Oxford used it for his BBC Radio 4 'Thought for the Day' which I had tuned into on my way to work. By the way, the composer whom I mentioned earlier was Robin (not Robert) Milford.

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on April 08, 2021, 08:44:48 AM
Yes, do Fergus - I think that it's very special. I first heard it when the bishop of Oxford used it for his BBC Radio 4 'Thought for the Day' which I had tuned into on my way to work. By the way, the composer whom I mentioned earlier was Robin (not Robert) Milford.

See the Poetry thread Jeffrey.

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on April 09, 2021, 03:45:21 AM
See the Poetry thread Jeffrey.
I've just seen it. Thank you for doing that Fergus. I think that it's my favourite poem.

Irons

A distinct sense of freedom today. Online without argument, is the best way to build a collection but nothing beats the thrill of entering a bricks and mortar record shop and coming across something special that is beyond your radar. Nothing mind-blowing today but felt good getting back in the saddle. -

Hoddinott: Landscapes, PC No.3, Sinfonietta No.2. Woodward, New Philharmonia, Schonzeller. RCA.

Ostrcil: Sinfonietta, Impromptu. Prague SO, Belohlavek. Supraphon.

Wilfred Josephs: Requiem. Adelaide SO, Measham. Unicorn.

Prokofiev: Symphonies 1 & 7. LSO Weller. Decca.

Penderecki: Symphony. LSO Penderecki. EMI.

English songs: Ian & Jennifer Partridge. Oxford University Press (double LP).

Not much of interest on the CD front, lots of Beethoven, Mozart etc. But cheaper then LPs (Oxfam pushing their luck hear at times) at mostly £I.99. I found two that appealed -

Haydn: Symphonies 39, 70, 73, and 75. The Esterhazy Orchestra, David Blum. Vanguard Classics.

Moeran: Cello Concerto, Serenade, Lonely Waters, Whythorne's Shadow. Guy Johnston, Ulster Orchestra, Falletta. Naxos.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 16, 2021, 06:48:59 AM
A distinct sense of freedom today. Online without argument, is the best way to build a collection but nothing beats the thrill of entering a bricks and mortar record shop and coming across something special that is beyond your radar. Nothing mind-blowing today but felt good getting back in the saddle. -

Hoddinott: Landscapes, PC No.3, Sinfonietta No.2. Woodward, New Philharmonia, Schonzeller. RCA.

Not much of interest on the CD front, lots of Beethoven, Mozart etc. But cheaper then LPs (Oxfam pushing their luck hear at times) at mostly £I.99. I found two that appealed -

Haydn: Symphonies 39, 70, 73, and 75. The Esterhazy Orchestra, David Blum. Vanguard Classics.

Moeran: Cello Concerto, Serenade, Lonely Waters, Whythorne's Shadow. Guy Johnston, Ulster Orchestra, Falletta. Naxos.
Excellent Lol - the Moeran CD gets my top vote!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 16, 2021, 06:48:59 AM

I have that English Songs album...will put it on soon.  :)  Looks like you had a nice haul too!  Which Oxfam shop to you like to visit by the way?

And how are you feeling after your second jab so far?

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on April 16, 2021, 07:25:35 AM
Excellent Lol - the Moeran CD gets my top vote!

Good to know, Jeffrey. By the way, have you heard Josephs Requiem? Not had a chance to listen yet but the back history of the work and the use of a String Quintet makes intriguing reading. 

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on April 16, 2021, 07:57:11 AM
I have that English Songs album...will put it on soon.  :)  Looks like you had a nice haul too!  Which Oxfam shop to you like to visit by the way?

And how are you feeling after your second jab so far?

PD

I am a creature of habit PD but I guess you already know that ::). Farnham. I didn't realise the music department of Oxford University issued LPs. A professional project with Anthony Howell as sound engineer and German pressing. I listened to side 1 of Warlock songs and impressed with the clear diction of Ian Partridge.

Paul has a sore arm but I have had no reaction from jab.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on April 16, 2021, 11:52:39 PM
I am a creature of habit PD but I guess you already know that ::). Farnham. I didn't realise the music department of Oxford University issued LPs. A professional project with Anthony Howell as sound engineer and German pressing. I listened to side 1 of Warlock songs and impressed with the clear diction of Ian Partridge.

Paul has a sore arm but I have had no reaction from jab.
I had forgotten which one you liked to frequent (getting old I guess).  Glad that you are enjoying it.  I watched a movie last night instead.

A friend of mine had a similar reaction when he received his second dose (forget which one he got).  Said it felt like someone had hit him with a softball.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 16, 2021, 11:34:21 PM
Good to know, Jeffrey. By the way, have you heard Josephs Requiem? Not had a chance to listen yet but the back history of the work and the use of a String Quintet makes intriguing reading.
Yes Lol, as it's on a Lyrita double CD set with Symphony No.5. I haven't heard it for a long time and should give it another hearing soon.

aligreto

Music from the works of James Joyce

This album contains the music mentioned by Joyce in his works. It is all appropriately performed by a tenor [McDermottt] and a pianist [Richey]. It also includes Joyce's only known composition Bid Adieu to Girlish Days. These are good performances of their type.

aligreto

I came across these images of a lady who obviously likes her vinyl....

PD take note  8)