Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 25, 2021, 11:54:00 PM
I was expecting RVW-light, Jeffrey. Not at all, more gnarly but in a good way.
+1 I saw her interviewed on TV about VW and she came across as very nice.

Here is a brief but informative film about her;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-xcFnwuVJE

Music is 'Proud Thames'.

A pity that she withdrew her two symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2021, 01:40:21 AM
+1 I saw her interviewed on TV about VW and she came across as very nice.

Here is a brief but informative film about her;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-xcFnwuVJE

Music is 'Proud Thames'.

A pity that she withdrew her two symphonies.

Brilliant! I enjoyed that, thanks. I have the Lyrita recording of "Proud Thames". Which will grace my TT this evening. :)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 26, 2021, 07:15:27 AM
Brilliant! I enjoyed that, thanks. I have the Lyrita recording of "Proud Thames". Which will grace my TT this evening. :)
My pleasure Lol. Yes, watching the short video made me realise what a fine work 'Proud Thames' is. It would be gracing my CD player as well...if I could find the CD!  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 26, 2021, 12:12:21 PM
My pleasure Lol. Yes, watching the short video made me realise what a fine work 'Proud Thames' is. It would be gracing my CD player as well...if I could find the CD!  ::)

Can't see the wood for the trees, Jeffrey?

I must say I'm bowled over by Symphony for Double String Orchestra. The Lento and Passacalia movements are very special.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 26, 2021, 11:51:15 PM
Can't see the wood for the trees, Jeffrey?

I must say I'm bowled over by Symphony for Double String Orchestra. The Lento and Passacalia movements are very special.
All the more reason to resume my panicky search for the CD Lol.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 27, 2021, 12:47:09 AM
All the more reason to resume my panicky search for the CD Lol.
Do I dare suggest that perhaps it's time for a bit of culling?  >:D  And, perhaps working with someone to design some new shelving/cases too?  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 27, 2021, 02:24:59 AM
Do I dare suggest that perhaps it's time for a bit of culling?  >:D  And, perhaps working with someone to design some new shelving/cases too?  ;)

PD
Good point CD - although the culling is underway with the local charity shops being the main beneficiaries. Having said that I wonder how many admirers there of Klaus Egge and Peterson-Berger in the local community.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on August 27, 2021, 06:15:24 AM
Good point PD - although the culling is underway with the local charity shops being the main beneficiaries. Having said that I wonder how many admirers there of Klaus Egge and Peterson-Berger in the local community.
Not easy I know!  I'm slowly (rather haphazardly) going through mine and yanking some of them--for either relisten, they're duplicates and putting them into a box to sort through a bit further:  Friends? Sell? Donations? Dump?  I have some sets too which I haven't tapped into much--sometimes due to initial reactions to some of the instruments and/or playing style such as this one which I need to give a serious rethink:

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 27, 2021, 06:15:24 AM
Good point CD - although the culling is underway with the local charity shops being the main beneficiaries. Having said that I wonder how many admirers there of Klaus Egge and Peterson-Berger in the local community.

Me outside Jeffrey's local charity shop!

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 27, 2021, 07:09:25 AM
No doubt on the search for Arnell's Third Symphony  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 27, 2021, 07:09:25 AM
:laugh: Wait, I thought it was "Ladies First"?!  :D  ;)

For what its worth, I listened further to that Bach/Brilliant set.  Not a happy camper..will dive in a bit further, but, truthfully, it's not doing anything for me--probably my fault.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Just bought this (never seen this LP before):

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on October 08, 2021, 11:09:54 PM

With a fabulous pedigree of The Central Band of the Royal Air Force, Director of Music, Wing Commander J L Wallace OBE LRAM ARCM RAF who himself conducts "Hammersmith". You can't get much more authentic then that, especially with Imogen directing.

A terrific purchase, Jeffrey.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on October 09, 2021, 12:21:09 AM
With a fabulous pedigree of The Central Band of the Royal Air Force, Director of Music, Wing Commander J L Wallace OBE LRAM ARCM RAF who himself conducts "Hammersmith". You can't get much more authentic then that, especially with Imogen directing.

Thanks Lol - that's good to know. It wasn't expensive (£7.00) and I like the cover design as well.

aligreto

What a wonderful find!

vandermolen

Quote from: aligreto on October 09, 2021, 02:02:35 AM
What a wonderful find!
Thanks Fergus - I thought so too.
There's another copy available at a similar price through a different seller.
:)

Papy Oli

Quote from: Irons on October 09, 2021, 12:21:09 AM

I think it was you Lol who was mentioning and praising this LP already when I was exploring Holst's works beyond the Lyrita CDs, probably in the British composers thread. I might have have been inquiring about some of the works in the Holst Collector's Edition, that those were part of I believe.
Olivier

aligreto

Quote from: vandermolen on October 09, 2021, 02:04:26 AM
Thanks Fergus - I thought so too.
There's another copy available at a similar price through a different seller.
:)

Cheers Jeffrey but I have stopped buying altogether from the UK since Brexit. Vat charges and Post Office handling charges, coupled with the resulting delays, make relatively small purchases much more expensive now, unfortunately.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on October 09, 2021, 02:19:17 AM
Cheers Jeffrey but I have stopped buying altogether from the UK since Brexit. Vat charges and Post Office handling charges, coupled with the resulting delays, make relatively small purchases much more expensive now, unfortunately.
Sorry to hear that Fergus.  Buying things from anywhere (well, many places at least) should be getting easier rather than harder these days.

Cool!  May I ask what label/s it is on as the image is a bit blurry to me.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Papy Oli on October 09, 2021, 02:18:31 AM
I think it was you Lol who was mentioning and praising this LP already when I was exploring Holst's works beyond the Lyrita CDs, probably in the British composers thread. I might have have been inquiring about some of the works in the Holst Collector's Edition, that those were part of I believe.

If I recall correctly I did, Olivier. A LP I value greatly.

Jeffrey mentions the cover, I travelled over that bridge (Hammersmith) back and forth for 37 years!   Retired now, so not an issue for me, thankfully. The bridge is closed for all traffic. Deemed so dangerous that boats are not allowed to travel under it! I believe even the annual Oxford/Cambridge boat race has been rerouted.