Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 21, 2022, 03:17:07 AM
Pictures are quite clear now PD.

I find the Okki Nokki to be simple to use and effective.

I like to keep it very simple when I am cleaning my vinyl.
Place LP on platter and switch on.
Clean with dry carbon fibre brush first.
Apply cleaning fluid.
Clean with bristle brush held upright and with not too much pressure in clockwise direction.
Apply vacuum to remove fluid.
Repeat process in anticlockwise direction on same face of LP.

Remove LP and repeat process for second face of LP.

Leave to dry in an upright position.

So, the process is very simple and always the same so I never forget where I am!!

Note: I never use alcohol or any mix of alcohol in a cleaning fluid.
Routine has its advantages.  :)  I'll sometimes use some *alcohol.  I also normally use a couple of Mofi (Mobile Fidelity) brushes instead--one for cleaning and one for rinsing off.  https://mofi.com/collections/accessories/products/mfsllpb_record_cleaning_brush  And I also like their cleaning liquids (see same website).

*I use a photographic-grade alcohol (purchased a case of it several years ago); it's about as pure as you can get short of a medical one which I believe is a bit purer.

I also put a small, lightweight round plastic dish (think a light food storage tight container) carefully over the label to protect it from possible water damage.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 21, 2022, 04:20:28 AM
Routine has its advantages.  :)  I'll sometimes use some *alcohol.  I also normally use a couple of Mofi (Mobile Fidelity) brushes instead--one for cleaning and one for rinsing off.  https://mofi.com/collections/accessories/products/mfsllpb_record_cleaning_brush  And I also like their cleaning liquids (see same website).

*I use a photographic-grade alcohol (purchased a case of it several years ago); it's about as pure as you can get short of a medical one which I believe is a bit purer.

I also put a small, lightweight round plastic dish (think a light food storage tight container) carefully over the label to protect it from possible water damage.

PD

Good point, PD, I forgot that. I use something similar too.

With regard to the MoFi type brush I would use something similar on every LP face prior to playing. Dust is the Enemy!!

aligreto

Just as an aside I use a rigid plastic file holder that holds six LPs when drying at the moment. Recently, a friend who was decluttering, gave me a proper old 1950's storage rack with velvet covering each metal separator. This will allow me to increase my batch size when cleaning significantly.  8)

MusicTurner

Quote from: aligreto on January 21, 2022, 04:44:27 AM
Just as an aside I use a rigid plastic file holder that holds six LPs when drying at the moment. Recently, a friend who was decluttering, gave me a proper old 1950's storage rack with velvet covering each metal separator. This will allow me to increase my batch size when cleaning significantly.  8)

That's an even decorative type of furniture ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 21, 2022, 04:26:12 AM
Good point, PD, I forgot that. I use something similar too.

With regard to the MoFi type brush I would use something similar on every LP face prior to playing. Dust is the Enemy!!
Yep!

Quote from: aligreto on January 21, 2022, 04:44:27 AM

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 21, 2022, 04:50:33 AM
That's an even decorative type of furniture ...
Yes, quite stylish!

I have a couple of different options.  At a church tag sale, I found two 6-LP stands.  They're rubber coated--one is actually for 45's!  8)

I also have (and have used) some sort of rubber/vinyl coated lid cover stand (for pot lids) that was my mother's.  No room in my current kitchen setup for it, but it's worked a peach for when cleaning records and letting them dry!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

I don't even have any such thing, but I see how the advantages appear obvious, and presumably it inspires one to clean the records more often, and more properly ...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 21, 2022, 05:23:55 AM
I don't even have any such thing, but I see how the advantages appear obvious, and presumably it inspires one to clean the records more often, and more properly ...
I wouldn't say that I clean them more often; so far anyway, I clean them once and then put them into a new inner sleeve and then store it inside of the  jacket (along with the original inner sleeve if in decent shape.  I also try and be good and if in doubt, give them a cleaning before playing them so as to avoid damaging the LP (besides the musical enjoyment of them sounding better and less junk accumulating on my stylus).

Also, I should add, a fellow music friend of mine recently gave me a half of a bottle of Mobile Fidelity's cleaning product called One (as in one step I think?).  He needed to order some over the holidays and was sweet and poured half of the new bottle into his old and gave it to me over the holidays.  I had expressed interest into how he cleaned his LPs.  He doesn't have an RPM and instead squirts a small amount around the record in a few spots and then uses a brush I believe in a circular direction (like the ones that I had linked to) and hand cleans them going in a circular direction.  He has brought over a few of his dirtier records (we're talk grime here people--nothing else!) for me to clean and was impressed with how they came out.  :)  Thinking that I'll try the One on records that just look to have a tiny bit of surface lint/hair, etc., but that look otherwise bright and shiny.   Or if I'm not feeling like hauling out my O.N. at the moment and want to see how it works.  :D 

Any idea about how many LPs that you have MT?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

On the subject of cleaning records. Words to the wise, give L' Art Du Son a miss.
https://www.vinylgourmet.com/en/music/917-lart-du-son-vinyl-record-cleaning-fluid-loricraft-100ml-to-dilute-in-5-litres.html
Not a stable emulsion. Broke down fairly quickly with congealed bits floating around in the solution. Half a bottle down the sink!

I do not use anything fancy 1/10 Isopropyl Alcohol/Distilled Water.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 21, 2022, 07:05:53 AM
On the subject of cleaning records. Words to the wise, give L' Art Du Son a miss.
https://www.vinylgourmet.com/en/music/917-lart-du-son-vinyl-record-cleaning-fluid-loricraft-100ml-to-dilute-in-5-litres.html
Not a stable emulsion. Broke down fairly quickly with congealed bits floating around in the solution. Half a bottle down the sink!

I do not use anything fancy 1/10 Isopropyl Alcohol/Distilled Water.
Thanks for the heads up!  :)  Remind me:  which RCM do you have ....trying to remember...is it a Loricraft?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on January 21, 2022, 07:05:53 AM

Do you think that it might be temperature sensitive in terms of storage?

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on January 21, 2022, 02:32:09 PM
Do you think that it might be temperature sensitive in terms of storage?

Possibly, but I think passage of time more likely. My RCM with liquids and brushes is one metre from where I'm typing this in what I laughingly call a study. L'Art Du Son was not exposed to anything extreme on the temperature scale.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on January 22, 2022, 12:05:41 AM
Possibly, but I think passage of time more likely. My RCM with liquids and brushes is one metre from where I'm typing this in what I laughingly call a study. L'Art Du Son was not exposed to anything extreme on the temperature scale.
I'm guessing that you tried to give it some serious shaking up?  I just did a bit of googling and on another forum, I saw that one person said that you need to keep it in a dark bottle and that he also keeps it in a dark closet.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer?  Just a thought.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Well, this morning I took the old pads off of my Okki Nokki wand and then used a combo of rubbing alcohol and Goo Gone.  As expected, the rubbing alcohol didn't do a good job of removing the residual adhesive.  Goo Gone to the rescue!  In case you're wondering what the heck that is, it's a special liquid that is great at removing things like old price stickers on books and LPs (please only use on shiny type covers!), CD cases, etc.  Once all of the goop was gone, I washed it off with a bit of dish detergent to get off the somewhat oily GG, let wand dry and then carefully applied the new strips to the wand (hopefully in the correct places).  To be on the safe side, I'm going to give it 24 hours to firm up (You can carefully push or lift and move the strips to position them properly.).

Fergus, have you replaced your strips yet?  If so, did you run into any issues?  And how long did you let the adhesive set up before using them?

PD

p.s.  Goo Gone:  https://googone.com/original-adhesive-remover

Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 22, 2022, 08:00:38 AM
Well, this morning I took the old pads off of my Okki Nokki wand and then used a combo of rubbing alcohol and Goo Gone.  As expected, the rubbing alcohol didn't do a good job of removing the residual adhesive.  Goo Gone to the rescue!  In case you're wondering what the heck that is, it's a special liquid that is great at removing things like old price stickers on books and LPs (please only use on shiny type covers!), CD cases, etc.  Once all of the goop was gone, I washed it off with a bit of dish detergent to get off the somewhat oily GG, let wand dry and then carefully applied the new strips to the wand (hopefully in the correct places).  To be on the safe side, I'm going to give it 24 hours to firm up (You can carefully push or lift and move the strips to position them properly.).

Fergus, have you replaced your strips yet?  If so, did you run into any issues?  And how long did you let the adhesive set up before using them?

PD

Hi PD, no I have not used my machine for long enough to replace the said pads but I note your effort with interest  ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 22, 2022, 10:59:28 AM
Hi PD, no I have not used my machine for long enough to replace the said pads but I note your effort with interest  ;)
Well, I'll let you know if I run into any problems then!  :) ;)

I did debate whether to go to the extra effort to remove the old bits of still somewhat sticky residue; as far as I can tell, there's no further info from O.N.  I just thought that I'd try what someone else had suggested on another forum (PM me if you're curious).  Will let you know how it comes out.  :)

Yesterday seemed to be a repair day here--a handful of projects involving either adhesive or using Gorilla Glue!  Will be interesting to see tomorrow how well things have held/bonded.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 21, 2022, 05:59:03 AM
I wouldn't say that I clean them more often; so far anyway, I clean them once and then put them into a new inner sleeve and then store it inside of the  jacket (along with the original inner sleeve if in decent shape.  I also try and be good and if in doubt, give them a cleaning before playing them so as to avoid damaging the LP (besides the musical enjoyment of them sounding better and less junk accumulating on my stylus).

Also, I should add, a fellow music friend of mine recently gave me a half of a bottle of Mobile Fidelity's cleaning product called One (as in one step I think?).  He needed to order some over the holidays and was sweet and poured half of the new bottle into his old and gave it to me over the holidays.  I had expressed interest into how he cleaned his LPs.  He doesn't have an RPM and instead squirts a small amount around the record in a few spots and then uses a brush I believe in a circular direction (like the ones that I had linked to) and hand cleans them going in a circular direction.  He has brought over a few of his dirtier records (we're talk grime here people--nothing else!) for me to clean and was impressed with how they came out.  :)  Thinking that I'll try the One on records that just look to have a tiny bit of surface lint/hair, etc., but that look otherwise bright and shiny.   Or if I'm not feeling like hauling out my O.N. at the moment and want to see how it works.  :D 

Any idea about how many LPs that you have MT?

PD

I think around 3,500  ... it's rare that I buy any nowadays, there isn't much space and I've got a lot of the interesting stuff already, cf. also my CDs ... the most recent one was an obscure live Mahler 6th with the conductor Jiracek ... normally I just use an ordinary soft cloth, maybe slightly humid, when cleaning LPs, but I don't mind a little surface noise, except dots or repetitive clicks, of course.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 22, 2022, 08:00:38 AM

PD

Your attention to detail is impressive PD. Sounds as if you have done a fine job refurbishing your RCM.
If possible I peel off price stickers and re-stick to inner sleeves. Mainly for where I bought the LP also how much I paid. Talking of which, came across an interesting site earlier this week -

https://gripsweat.com/

It is true that L'art Du Son comes in a dark glass bottle but no instructions to store in a dark place. I did try giving it a good shake.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on January 22, 2022, 10:58:37 PM
I think around 3,500  ... it's rare that I buy any nowadays, there isn't much space and I've got a lot of the interesting stuff already, cf. also my CDs ... the most recent one was an obscure live Mahler 6th with the conductor Jiracek ... normally I just use an ordinary soft cloth, maybe slightly humid, when cleaning LPs, but I don't mind a little surface noise, except dots or repetitive clicks, of course.
Wow, that's a lot!  I haven't ever counted mine, so no idea really.  Guessing here...(including all genres)....maybe 400-500?  Will count at some point in time.   :)

Quote from: Irons on January 23, 2022, 01:06:15 AM
Your attention to detail is impressive PD. Sounds as if you have done a fine job refurbishing your RCM.
If possible I peel off price stickers and re-stick to inner sleeves. Mainly for where I bought the LP also how much I paid. Talking of which, came across an interesting site earlier this week -

https://gripsweat.com/

It is true that L'art Du Son comes in a dark glass bottle but no instructions to store in a dark place. I did try giving it a good shake.
That's a clever ID re price stickers!  I've run across LPs at times which the previous owner wrote very neatly in pen I think as to where, when and price of LP just inside on the inner back cover of the LP.

And thank you for your kind words!  :)

And that's still a drag (and waste of money) regarding that cleaner.  I'd be tempted to send an email off to the company.  Any idea when you purchased the product Irons?

Yes, interesting website.  I wonder what that Ricci/Sibelius one went for?  They seem to be unsure there.  Have you tried to search any of your rarer LPs to see what they have sold for Irons.  That could be fun!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 22, 2022, 01:57:27 PM
Well, I'll let you know if I run into any problems then!  :) ;)

I did debate whether to go to the extra effort to remove the old bits of still somewhat sticky residue; as far as I can tell, there's no further info from O.N.  I just thought that I'd try what someone else had suggested on another forum (PM me if you're curious).  Will let you know how it comes out.  :)

Yesterday seemed to be a repair day here--a handful of projects involving either adhesive or using Gorilla Glue!  Will be interesting to see tomorrow how well things have held/bonded.

PD

Thank you PD, I would certainly be interested in that link, at your leisure, please.

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 23, 2022, 02:13:00 AM
Wow, that's a lot!  I haven't ever counted mine, so no idea really.  Guessing here...(including all genres)....maybe 400-500?  Will count at some point in time.   :)
That's a clever ID re price stickers!  I've run across LPs at times which the previous owner wrote very neatly in pen I think as to where, when and price of LP just inside on the inner back cover of the LP.

And thank you for your kind words!  :)

And that's still a drag (and waste of money) regarding that cleaner.  I'd be tempted to send an email off to the company.  Any idea when you purchased the product Irons?

Yes, interesting website.  I wonder what that Ricci/Sibelius one went for?  They seem to be unsure there.  Have you tried to search any of your rarer LPs to see what they have sold for Irons.  That could be fun!  ;D

PD

I had the Ricci/Sibelius on a Decca WB but disliked the performance. The LP was not in the best of shape but being so collectable I decided to sell it being honest and upfront concerning condition. It was over two years ago but definitely three figures and the buyer was happy with his purchase.

On the subject of Ricci this is a strange one -

Ricci and Ansermet are both hugely collectable and together are sure-fire winners. Decca Eclipse was Decca's bargain-basement reissue label. Mostly mono and issued on Eclipse in fake stereo. ECS 746 is unique in being the only LP to receive it's first and only release in the UK (there was a full price issue in the US). In real stereo, popular composer and artists and yet Decca only put it out on the cheapest label in their catalogue! Very strange. My theory is, as the sound is excellent, artistic. I think the more knowledgeable GMG would throw their hands up at the second movement of the second concerto. Even to my cloth ears it doesn't sound right.
The price I paid is on the sticker at top right of inner sleeve.