Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: absolutelybaching on May 31, 2022, 06:14:36 AM
The Everest 9th is definitely in stereo.

I hadn't realised quite how close we'd come to a mono version of Peter Grimes, though (1958)!
Still upsets me that Turn of the Screw was mono, when from the above discussion it seems Decca could have done a stereo in 1955 if they'd pulled finger... (I realise nearly 70 years have elapsed and I should be over it by now!!)

John Culshaw in his autobiography "Putting the Record Straight" gives some insight in the quandary Decca producers felt at the time.

Stereo continued to be the main issue at the studio, and management at last seemed ready to accept the inevitable but uncomfortable decision. If they had no stereo material available and the system proved a success they stood to lose a lot of money; similarly, if they invested in stereo and the system flopped (as, some twenty years later, did quadraphony), they would again lose money. Another fear was that the artists, once they heard about stereo , would demand more money.

You mention Peter Grimes.

... and the obvious way to make a start was with Peter Grimes, which, since since its first performance in London in 1945, had won acclaim all over the world. It also struck me as a work that would be effective in stereo - the storm, the off-stage church service, the drum-led procession to Grime's hut and the final "mad scene" could be conveyed in aural terms .......Lewis said little, but worried about the costs; I don't think Rosengarten had ever heard the piece, and Farkas said that he might be able to give away six copies in the United States.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on May 31, 2022, 06:14:36 AM
The Everest 9th is definitely in stereo.

I hadn't realised quite how close we'd come to a mono version of Peter Grimes, though (1958)!
Still upsets me that Turn of the Screw was mono, when from the above discussion it seems Decca could have done a stereo in 1955 if they'd pulled finger... (I realise nearly 70 years have elapsed and I should be over it by now!!)
Thanks Re: Everest No.9
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Released under license in the UK by the subscription only World Record Club. As mostly always the WRC credit Everest on the label.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Spinning

The cover notes include a flowery Oistrakh tribute from the pen of Evgeni Svetlanov.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 01, 2022, 06:35:16 AM
Released under license in the UK by the subscription only World Record Club. As mostly always the WRC credit Everest on the label.
With that great LP cover:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on June 07, 2022, 08:27:51 AM
With that great LP cover:

That's the one! ;D Followed the recent "chat" on the RVW thread with interest. Many good points made.

Also a WRC release. That and RVW conducting his own 4th Symphony in probably the most electric performance of the work.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on June 08, 2022, 06:53:56 AM
That's the one! ;D Followed the recent "chat" on the RVW thread with interest. Many good points made.

Also a WRC release. That and RVW conducting his own 4th Symphony in probably the most electric performance of the work.
Ah yes, VW with his gigantic hearing aid which apparently emitted a high-pitched whistle during some of the Decca recordings!

aligreto

Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier [von Karajan]
There are many iterations of this version of this wonderful work. This is the LP version that I own:

I have liked this work since I first heard it many years ago. I particularly like this version of the work. What I like about the von Karajan version is how it marries a particularly lightness of tone with a rather poignant subject matter. I also particularly like the way von Karajan portrays both the lyricism and the dramatic elements of this work. I also like the intensity of the delivery here.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on June 10, 2022, 07:09:50 AM
Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier [von Karajan]
There are many iterations of this version of this wonderful work. This is the LP version that I own:

I have liked this work since I first heard it many years ago. I particularly like this version of the work. What I like about the von Karajan version is how it marries a particularly lightness of tone with a rather poignant subject matter. I also particularly like the way von Karajan portrays both the lyricism and the dramatic elements of this work. I also like the intensity of the delivery here.

Good to see you back, Fergus.

The Germany sourced Teldec pressings are whisper quiet, I love them. I doubt you would be able to hear the opera in a better light, LP or any other format. I notice from the back cover photo that for this recording Christopher Parker worked with Walter Legge. Something I have not been aware of before.

For my own current listening Stravinsky has featured strongly.

The Firebird on Ace of Diamonds with striking cover art.

and Danses Concertantes from L'Oiseau-Lyre.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on June 10, 2022, 11:54:46 PM

The Germany sourced Teldec pressings are whisper quiet, I love them. I doubt you would be able to hear the opera in a better light, LP or any other format. I notice from the back cover photo that for this recording Christopher Parker worked with Walter Legge. Something I have not been aware of before.

Cheers Lol.

I have long admired this particular version of this work.
I am glad to be of help with the recording details.

geralmar

Ravel: Bolero; Nutcracker Suite; ca.1955. U.S.

My introduction to classical music.  The Tchaikovsky made no impression; but I was mesmerized by the Bolero, conducted by the possibly pseudonymous "Walter Bauer". 

Irons

An intriguing purchase from last week as Gottfried von Einem is a name unknown to me. I have only listened to his 1st SQ the once so in no position to comment on the piece. But the Alban Berg SQ play with commitment and the Stravinsky pieces are outstanding.
As with aligreto's Strauss issue above a DMM Teldec pressing.

aligreto

Bruggen playing music by Vivaldi, Naudot, Telemann and JS Bach

Long before he became a renowned director, Bruggen was, as an instrumentalist, one of the earliest influences in my conversion to HIP in Baroque music.
Some rather illustrious names appear on this album.

aligreto

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto [Eichler/Bottcher]

This is a very fluid and lyrical version of this superlative work; an admirable one even, particularly from the clarinettist. It was released in 1967 on the Concert Hall label.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on June 18, 2022, 03:35:57 AM
Mozart: Clarinet Concerto [Eichler/Bottcher]

This is a very fluid and lyrical version of this superlative work; an admirable one even, particularly from the clarinettist. It was released in 1967 on the Concert Hall label.

Recorded in Konzerhaus Vienna.

aligreto

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on June 18, 2022, 09:07:08 AM
Do you own it?

Unfortunately not. I looked it up.

aligreto

Irons

Spinning

Fauré: Violin Sonatas 1&2.

A well packaged French pressing. Ferras and Barbizet made an earlier recording of the 1st Sonata coupled with the Franck sonata. 

Irons

Back to back.

Five years separate Alwyn's 1st Symphony and 1st String Quartet. I enjoyed the quartet more which has a melody in the third movement to die for, heartfelt and beautiful. I had difficulty following the symphony, finding it a bit diffuse. I'm sure repeated plays will reveal itself to me.

The sleeve illustration of Chandos LP, The Torrents of Spring is by William Alwyn.