Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on July 15, 2022, 07:42:43 AM
Fascinating history behind L'Oiseau-Lyre.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89ditions_de_l%27Oiseau-Lyre

Edit: There is a story not included in the Wiki page that Hanson-Dyer produced cash from her handbag to pay musicians off after a recording session.

Thank you for the link.
The history is indeed interesting particularly the association with names such as Moroney, Gilbert and Hogwood.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 15, 2022, 08:25:54 AM
Despite the less than perfect playing that recording is easily the most moving of Moeran's Cello Concerto.

Agreed. The middle movement never fails to bring a lump to my throat.

Spinning

An interesting twosome. I liked both works although not detecting any similarities. The symphony is late Romanticism but never cloying in fact quite sinewy. Beautiful slow movement.
The Violin Concerto is altogether softer and gentler. Full of good tunes but again never saccharine. I was reminded of Walton's concerto in the first movement. As Alwyn when listening to Korngold I do not feel I'm listening to a composer of films. 
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Valentino

Local shop's got their own T-shirt, so I bought one; Vinyl & Kaffe, Hamar.

R. Strauss/Arabella. Keilberth.
Karajan LvB 60's set in the 1970 box.
Janacek Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba with Ancerl (on Turnabout, I guess some Supraphon licence)
Bartok/Bluebeard. Fricsay
Mahler/Knaben Wunderhorn.  Schwarzkopf/FiDi/Szell. My first EMI Angel I think.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

MusicTurner

Quote from: Valentino on July 23, 2022, 06:05:24 AM
Local shop's got their own T-shirt; Vinyl & Kaffe, Hamar.

The ones that are difficult to read:
Karajan LvB 60's set in the 1970 box.
Janacek Sinfonietta and Taras Bulba with Ancerl (on Turnabout, I guess some Supraphon licence)

Ha, I had to read your post twice; here in Copenhagen we also have a shop/cafe called "Sort Kaffe & Vinyl" ("Black Coffee and Vinyl").

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on June 28, 2022, 02:17:24 PM
Ivan Moravec: Live

Excellent and passionate playing from Moravec.

Supraphon was always a label that I admired for the interesting and engaging music and musicians which they issued.
Yep!  On both accounts.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on June 29, 2022, 02:26:58 AM
PD where are you? (watching tennis I expect). She is a big Moravec fan.
Still alive and kicking!  And guilty on both accounts....though I have been trying to tame/keep up with garden [In vain, but still trying.].

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

prémont

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Pohjolas Daughter

Thanks!  :)

Need to hit the garden now before it gets hot...

PD

p.s.  I need a summertime stereo setup; tubes are too hot!
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Vol.1 (4 LPs)
Also Sprach Zarathustra.
Don Juan.
Alpine Symphony.
Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme
Schlagobers
Metamorphosen
Macbeth.

Vol.2 (3 LPs)
Ein Heldenleben.
Don Quixote with Paul Tortelier.
Rosenkavalier Waltzes.
Death and Transfiguration.
Couperin Suite.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on July 27, 2022, 06:22:11 AM

Vol.1 (4 LPs)
Also Sprach Zarathustra.
Don Juan.
Alpine Symphony.
Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme
Schlagobers
Metamorphosen
Macbeth.

Vol.2 (3 LPs)
Ein Heldenleben.
Don Quixote with Paul Tortelier.
Rosenkavalier Waltzes.
Death and Transfiguration.
Couperin Suite.

Unfortunately I only have Vol. 1 on the original vinyl.

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on July 27, 2022, 07:33:42 AM
Unfortunately I only have Vol. 1 on the original vinyl.

That is the one to have. I only had 2 and been on the lookout for 1 for some time. A work I enjoy very much from 2 is the Couperin Suite.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on July 27, 2022, 11:09:38 PM
That is the one to have. I only had 2 and been on the lookout for 1 for some time. A work I enjoy very much from 2 is the Couperin Suite.

Cheers, Lol. I have significant amounts of his music on CD but, being something of a completionist, there are certain things that one would like to have on vinyl.  :)

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on July 28, 2022, 04:59:37 AM
Cheers, Lol. I have significant amounts of his music on CD but, being something of a completionist, there are certain things that one would like to have on vinyl.  :)

Finding time to play (some) is my problem, Fergus.

I like EMI's mid-price Greensleeve label. A recent find is a compilation of Holst recordings stretching from 1958 to 1984, unusually a mix of orchestral and choral works. Steuart Bedford conducting ECO in Brook Green Suite was a new one for me, an excellent rendition. As a young man I worked in Brook Green so the work has a special relevance. But the piece that knocked me sideways is Psalm 86. with Imogen conducting again the ECO. I'm no authority of the voice but love the sound of Ian Partridge, a voice akin to brushed velvet. If ever a work proves less is more then Psalm 86 is it. The simplicity is magnificent.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 29, 2022, 03:02:40 AM
Finding time to play (some) is my problem, Fergus.

I like EMI's mid-price Greensleeve label. A recent find is a compilation of Holst recordings stretching from 1958 to 1984, unusually a mix of orchestral and choral works. Steuart Bedford conducting ECO in Brook Green Suite was a new one for me, an excellent rendition. As a young man I worked in Brook Green so the work has a special relevance. But the piece that knocked me sideways is Psalm 86. with Imogen conducting again the ECO. I'm no authority of the voice but love the sound of Ian Partridge, a voice akin to brushed velvet. If ever a work proves less is more then Psalm 86 is it. The simplicity is magnificent.
Another nostalgia trip - that was a very fine release Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 31, 2022, 10:51:08 PM
Another nostalgia trip - that was a very fine release Lol.

Yes Jeffrey a good-un. I have Sargent's Beni Mora on a Concert Classics release. Steuart Bedford in Holst is a first.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 01, 2022, 06:49:20 AM
Yes Jeffrey a good-un. I have Sargent's Beni Mora on a Concert Classics release. Steuart Bedford in Holst is a first.
This one I guess Lol, although I never owned it myself. Concert Classics were a source of some great discoveries for me such as Walton's 1st Symphony (Sargent) and Miaskovsky's Cello Concerto (Rostropovich/Sargent). I really liked the Walton LP sleeve design image:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2022, 04:55:03 AM
This one I guess Lol, although I never owned it myself. Concert Classics were a source of some great discoveries for me such as Walton's 1st Symphony (Sargent) and Miaskovsky's Cello Concerto (Rostropovich/Sargent). I really liked the Walton LP sleeve design image:

You guessed correctly, Jeffrey. A record I like a lot. Lots of repertoire on Concert Classics which is more mainstream then a later sister label, Greensleeve. But interesting releases too, including the classic Miaskovsky Cello Concerto and my favourite recording of my favourite Bloch work.