Author Topic: Thirty three and a third.  (Read 139976 times)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
Re: Thirty three and a third.
« Reply #1500 on: July 29, 2022, 02:02:40 AM »
Cheers, Lol. I have significant amounts of his music on CD but, being something of a completionist, there are certain things that one would like to have on vinyl.  :)

Finding time to play (some) is my problem, Fergus.

I like EMI's mid-price Greensleeve label. A recent find is a compilation of Holst recordings stretching from 1958 to 1984, unusually a mix of orchestral and choral works. Steuart Bedford conducting ECO in Brook Green Suite was a new one for me, an excellent rendition. As a young man I worked in Brook Green so the work has a special relevance. But the piece that knocked me sideways is Psalm 86. with Imogen conducting again the ECO. I'm no authority of the voice but love the sound of Ian Partridge, a voice akin to brushed velvet. If ever a work proves less is more then Psalm 86 is it. The simplicity is magnificent.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1501 on: July 31, 2022, 09:51:08 PM »
Finding time to play (some) is my problem, Fergus.

I like EMI's mid-price Greensleeve label. A recent find is a compilation of Holst recordings stretching from 1958 to 1984, unusually a mix of orchestral and choral works. Steuart Bedford conducting ECO in Brook Green Suite was a new one for me, an excellent rendition. As a young man I worked in Brook Green so the work has a special relevance. But the piece that knocked me sideways is Psalm 86. with Imogen conducting again the ECO. I'm no authority of the voice but love the sound of Ian Partridge, a voice akin to brushed velvet. If ever a work proves less is more then Psalm 86 is it. The simplicity is magnificent.
Another nostalgia trip - that was a very fine release Lol.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1502 on: August 01, 2022, 05:49:20 AM »
Another nostalgia trip - that was a very fine release Lol.

Yes Jeffrey a good-un. I have Sargent's Beni Mora on a Concert Classics release. Steuart Bedford in Holst is a first.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1503 on: August 03, 2022, 03:55:03 AM »
Yes Jeffrey a good-un. I have Sargent's Beni Mora on a Concert Classics release. Steuart Bedford in Holst is a first.
This one I guess Lol, although I never owned it myself. Concert Classics were a source of some great discoveries for me such as Walton's 1st Symphony (Sargent) and Miaskovsky's Cello Concerto (Rostropovich/Sargent). I really liked the Walton LP sleeve design image:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 03:59:11 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1504 on: August 03, 2022, 05:42:57 AM »
This one I guess Lol, although I never owned it myself. Concert Classics were a source of some great discoveries for me such as Walton's 1st Symphony (Sargent) and Miaskovsky's Cello Concerto (Rostropovich/Sargent). I really liked the Walton LP sleeve design image:

You guessed correctly, Jeffrey. A record I like a lot. Lots of repertoire on Concert Classics which is more mainstream then a later sister label, Greensleeve. But interesting releases too, including the classic Miaskovsky Cello Concerto and my favourite recording of my favourite Bloch work.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1505 on: August 03, 2022, 09:08:23 PM »
You guessed correctly, Jeffrey. A record I like a lot. Lots of repertoire on Concert Classics which is more mainstream then a later sister label, Greensleeve. But interesting releases too, including the classic Miaskovsky Cello Concerto and my favourite recording of my favourite Bloch work.

On second thoughts Lol I think that I did own the Beni Mora CD. Holst wrote some very fine proto-minimalist works like Beni Mora and parts of The Cloud Messenger. That is a great performance of Bloch's VC, which I have on CD.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1506 on: August 04, 2022, 02:25:33 AM »
On second thoughts Lol I think that I did own the Beni Mora CD. Holst wrote some very fine proto-minimalist works like Beni Mora and parts of The Cloud Messenger. That is a great performance of Bloch's VC, which I have on CD.

Out of interest Jeffrey I looked up Sargent's Holst discography. I have him with "The Perfect Fool" but a mono recording. Also St. Paul's Suite and The Hymn of Jesus are listed and not forgetting you know what! :D

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1507 on: August 04, 2022, 07:53:11 AM »
Out of interest Jeffrey I looked up Sargent's Holst discography. I have him with "The Perfect Fool" but a mono recording. Also St. Paul's Suite and The Hymn of Jesus are listed and not forgetting you know what! :D
Interesting Lol. His CFP Planets was one of the best. He was underrated as a conductor. I know no better Sibelius Symphony No.5 (BBC SO) which I think has a unique atmosphere. I prefer his Walton Symphony No.1 to the much more highly regarded Previn/LSO version and I say this as a great admirer of André Previn.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1508 on: August 04, 2022, 12:01:54 PM »
Interesting Lol. His CFP Planets was one of the best. He was underrated as a conductor. I know no better Sibelius Symphony No.5 (BBC SO) which I think has a unique atmosphere. I prefer his Walton Symphony No.1 to the much more highly regarded Previn/LSO version and I say this as a great admirer of André Previn.

Sargent hit the bullseye with Walton 1. The pacing, the way he builds tension at the opening has the tingle factor. We are blessed to have Previn too, but like you I prefer Sir Malcom.
Another recording deserves mention. I have heard a ton of Elgar's "Enigma" but Sargant's recording C/W RVW Fantasia again on Concert Classics is and always has been my first choice. If I recall correctly Jeffrey I have on my shelves a LP of Sargent conducting Sibelius Tone Poems. Must dig it out.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1509 on: August 05, 2022, 03:25:59 AM »
Sargent hit the bullseye with Walton 1. The pacing, the way he builds tension at the opening has the tingle factor. We are blessed to have Previn too, but like you I prefer Sir Malcom.
Another recording deserves mention. I have heard a ton of Elgar's "Enigma" but Sargant's recording C/W RVW Fantasia again on Concert Classics is and always has been my first choice. If I recall correctly Jeffrey I have on my shelves a LP of Sargent conducting Sibelius Tone Poems. Must dig it out.
I agree Lol - that was a fine recording of both works:

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1510 on: August 05, 2022, 06:41:43 AM »
I agree Lol - that was a fine recording of both works:

Any idea of the cover view, Jeffrey? No mention in the cover notes. Surrey Hills is my guess.

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1511 on: August 05, 2022, 01:59:59 PM »
Any idea of the cover view, Jeffrey? No mention in the cover notes. Surrey Hills is my guess.
Not sure Lol - looks a bit Worcester-ish?

Online absolutelybaching

• Veteran member
  • Enjoying anything from Altnickol to Zemlinsky
    • Absolutely Baching
« Reply #1512 on: August 05, 2022, 11:42:01 PM »
Not sure Lol - looks a bit Worcester-ish?

Looks quite Malvern-y to me!
The Elgar association, I expect.
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. (Benjamin Britten)

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1513 on: August 06, 2022, 01:33:52 AM »
Looks quite Malvern-y to me!
The Elgar association, I expect.

The Elgar link makes sense but is it hilly enough for Malvern?

Below a view from Box Hill.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1514 on: August 06, 2022, 01:43:03 AM »
Spinning.

Holst: Japanese Dance.

Ceremonial Dance
Dance of the Marionette
Interlude-Song of the Fisherman
Dance under the Cherry Tree
Finale-Dance of the Wolves

Online absolutelybaching

• Veteran member
  • Enjoying anything from Altnickol to Zemlinsky
    • Absolutely Baching
« Reply #1515 on: August 06, 2022, 03:29:26 AM »
The Elgar link makes sense but is it hilly enough for Malvern?

Below a view from Box Hill.

I take your point, but below is the view from St Wulstan’s Church in Little Malvern, on the eastern edge of the Malvern Hills, where Sir Edward Elgar is buried. I think it looks a pretty good fit, hill-shape-wise.

Edited to add: I've now flipped the original photo I posted... and I think it's an exact match for the LP cover! I think we're looking across Colwall.

I enjoy the occasional geo-location game!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 03:53:33 AM by absolutelybaching »
It is cruel, you know, that music should be so beautiful. (Benjamin Britten)

Online vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1516 on: August 06, 2022, 08:43:19 PM »
I take your point, but below is the view from St Wulstan’s Church in Little Malvern, on the eastern edge of the Malvern Hills, where Sir Edward Elgar is buried. I think it looks a pretty good fit, hill-shape-wise.

Edited to add: I've now flipped the original photo I posted... and I think it's an exact match for the LP cover! I think we're looking across Colwall.

That looks right to me - great piece of detective work!

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #1517 on: August 07, 2022, 12:01:58 AM »

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #1518 on: August 07, 2022, 12:11:57 AM »
Well done Bach!  :)

PD

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1519 on: August 07, 2022, 12:43:26 AM »
Yes, an interesting little bit of detective work above!  :)
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.