Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 03, 2022, 06:42:57 AM
You guessed correctly, Jeffrey. A record I like a lot. Lots of repertoire on Concert Classics which is more mainstream then a later sister label, Greensleeve. But interesting releases too, including the classic Miaskovsky Cello Concerto and my favourite recording of my favourite Bloch work.

On second thoughts Lol I think that I did own the Beni Mora CD. Holst wrote some very fine proto-minimalist works like Beni Mora and parts of The Cloud Messenger. That is a great performance of Bloch's VC, which I have on CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 03, 2022, 10:08:23 PM
On second thoughts Lol I think that I did own the Beni Mora CD. Holst wrote some very fine proto-minimalist works like Beni Mora and parts of The Cloud Messenger. That is a great performance of Bloch's VC, which I have on CD.

Out of interest Jeffrey I looked up Sargent's Holst discography. I have him with "The Perfect Fool" but a mono recording. Also St. Paul's Suite and The Hymn of Jesus are listed and not forgetting you know what! :D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 04, 2022, 03:25:33 AM
Out of interest Jeffrey I looked up Sargent's Holst discography. I have him with "The Perfect Fool" but a mono recording. Also St. Paul's Suite and The Hymn of Jesus are listed and not forgetting you know what! :D
Interesting Lol. His CFP Planets was one of the best. He was underrated as a conductor. I know no better Sibelius Symphony No.5 (BBC SO) which I think has a unique atmosphere. I prefer his Walton Symphony No.1 to the much more highly regarded Previn/LSO version and I say this as a great admirer of André Previn.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 04, 2022, 08:53:11 AM
Interesting Lol. His CFP Planets was one of the best. He was underrated as a conductor. I know no better Sibelius Symphony No.5 (BBC SO) which I think has a unique atmosphere. I prefer his Walton Symphony No.1 to the much more highly regarded Previn/LSO version and I say this as a great admirer of André Previn.

Sargent hit the bullseye with Walton 1. The pacing, the way he builds tension at the opening has the tingle factor. We are blessed to have Previn too, but like you I prefer Sir Malcom.
Another recording deserves mention. I have heard a ton of Elgar's "Enigma" but Sargant's recording C/W RVW Fantasia again on Concert Classics is and always has been my first choice. If I recall correctly Jeffrey I have on my shelves a LP of Sargent conducting Sibelius Tone Poems. Must dig it out.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 04, 2022, 01:01:54 PM
Sargent hit the bullseye with Walton 1. The pacing, the way he builds tension at the opening has the tingle factor. We are blessed to have Previn too, but like you I prefer Sir Malcom.
Another recording deserves mention. I have heard a ton of Elgar's "Enigma" but Sargant's recording C/W RVW Fantasia again on Concert Classics is and always has been my first choice. If I recall correctly Jeffrey I have on my shelves a LP of Sargent conducting Sibelius Tone Poems. Must dig it out.
I agree Lol - that was a fine recording of both works:

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 05, 2022, 04:25:59 AM
I agree Lol - that was a fine recording of both works:

Any idea of the cover view, Jeffrey? No mention in the cover notes. Surrey Hills is my guess.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on August 05, 2022, 07:41:43 AM
Any idea of the cover view, Jeffrey? No mention in the cover notes. Surrey Hills is my guess.
Not sure Lol - looks a bit Worcester-ish?

Irons

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 06, 2022, 12:42:01 AM
Looks quite Malvern-y to me!
The Elgar association, I expect.

The Elgar link makes sense but is it hilly enough for Malvern?

Below a view from Box Hill.

Irons

Spinning.

Holst: Japanese Dance.

Ceremonial Dance
Dance of the Marionette
Interlude-Song of the Fisherman
Dance under the Cherry Tree
Finale-Dance of the Wolves

vandermolen

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 06, 2022, 04:29:26 AM
I take your point, but below is the view from St Wulstan's Church in Little Malvern, on the eastern edge of the Malvern Hills, where Sir Edward Elgar is buried. I think it looks a pretty good fit, hill-shape-wise.

Edited to add: I've now flipped the original photo I posted... and I think it's an exact match for the LP cover! I think we're looking across Colwall.

I enjoy the occasional geo-location game!
That looks right to me - great piece of detective work!

Irons

Quote from: absolutelybaching on August 06, 2022, 04:29:26 AM
I take your point, but below is the view from St Wulstan's Church in Little Malvern, on the eastern edge of the Malvern Hills, where Sir Edward Elgar is buried. I think it looks a pretty good fit, hill-shape-wise.

Edited to add: I've now flipped the original photo I posted... and I think it's an exact match for the LP cover! I think we're looking across Colwall.

I enjoy the occasional geo-location game!

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Yes, an interesting little bit of detective work above!  :)

Irons

Not so long ago I would not touch digital recordings on LP with a barge pole. For two reasons, one being historically they will be early digital which I found to be unpleasant and secondly, if digital then surely CD is the preferable format. My analysis in practice has proved to be wrong. Time and time again digital LPs I have found produce excellent sound, the latest example a Classics for Pleasure LP of Handley conducting Delius. Hearing it here  https://youtu.be/5mCwIQAhtX8  I ordered a copy.

Outstanding sound which is an important consideration for Delius. Handley proves to be an excellent conductor for this composer. A purchase I am most pleased with.

Irons

Spinning.

Schubert: Death and the Maiden String Quartet.

Recorded 1955.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2022, 03:00:56 AM
Spinning.

Recorded 1955.

I like the slightly macabre artwork on that cover.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2022, 03:00:56 AM
Spinning.

Recorded 1955.

I hadn't heard of that quartet before now Irons.  Interesting history!  How did you like the recording?

Quote from: aligreto on August 16, 2022, 03:21:34 AM
"slightly"?!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on August 16, 2022, 03:21:34 AM

I like it, as if death is creeping up on the maiden.

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 16, 2022, 06:11:20 AM
I hadn't heard of that quartet before now Irons.  Interesting history!  How did you like the recording?

PD

Hi PD. Trust you are keeping well and good to see you back. The Koeckert Quartet has featured a few times in the last couple of days in the What are you listening 2 now? thread which inspired me to give this a spin. The recording is dry but for chamber works I don't mind that. As for the performance, inspired.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 16, 2022, 07:38:44 AM
I like it, as if death is creeping up on the maiden.

Hi PD. Trust you are keeping well and good to see you back. The Koeckert Quartet has featured a few times in the last couple of days in the What are you listening 2 now? thread which inspired me to give this a spin. The recording is dry but for chamber works I don't mind that. As for the performance, inspired.
Thanks!

Trying to get yard work done and keeping up with veggie/herb garden (plus getting some other things done) is keeping me busy.

Well, I'll have to make a mental note re the name of this quartet and keep an eye out for their recordings.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter