Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: aligreto on August 22, 2022, 01:25:47 PM
That is a fine album with some really wonderful music on it. Most enjoyable altogether.

Thanks. Although not in the slightest connection with vinyl I thought this may of interest to you, Fergus.

http://landofllostcontent.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-fair-hills-of-eire-irish-airs-and.html
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 22, 2022, 10:11:23 PM
I just noted that this new release (of an old Teldec recording) is LP only AFAIK.
The 6th was generally considered the highlight of Andrew Davis's cycle:

Warner releasing LP's! I picked up a CD from Andrew Davis's cycle, I can't remember which one and being underwhelmed, Jeffrey.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

I just noted that this new release (of an old Teldec recording) is LP only AFAIK.

Quote from: Irons on August 23, 2022, 07:27:55 AM
Warner releasing LP's! I picked up a CD from Andrew Davis's cycle, I can't remember which one and being underwhelmed, Jeffrey.
I found a listing for it here....ouch!

https://www.vinyl.com.au/tasmin-bbc-symp-little-vaughan-williams-the-lark-a

PD

EDIT:  Don't know what the exchange rate of Australian dollars is to US or British pounds, but I suspect that it might be better here (and closer for many of you in terms of ordering):  https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9364711--vaughan-williams-the-lark-ascending
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

For a new LP £34 is not too bad. Production costs for short runs are high.

Spinning.

Good sound but evocation of Spain in Nights in the Gardens of Spain are minimal. Saint-Saens PC No.2 is much better. Cover art very 1970's flower power.

The final of K 331 "Alla Turca" always makes me think of the Keystone Cops!

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on August 23, 2022, 07:21:44 AM
Thanks. Although not in the slightest connection with vinyl I thought this may of interest to you, Fergus.

http://landofllostcontent.blogspot.com/2022/08/the-fair-hills-of-eire-irish-airs-and.html

Thank you for that Lol. I will have a look at it soon.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 24, 2022, 12:03:59 AM
For a new LP £34 is not too bad. Production costs for short runs are high.

Spinning.

Good sound but evocation of Spain in Nights in the Gardens of Spain are minimal. Saint-Saens PC No.2 is much better. Cover art very 1970's flower power.

The final of K 331 "Alla Turca" always makes me think of the Keystone Cops!
Yes, and actually it's for a 2-LP set.  The Australian price (even with conversion) was quite high for a new LP.

I like how the artist created the woman's head out of the background (negative space?) and the flowing water from what I think is a fountain.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 24, 2022, 06:06:14 AM
Yes, and actually it's for a 2-LP set.  The Australian price (even with conversion) was quite high for a new LP.

I like how the artist created the woman's head out of the background (negative space?) and the flowing water from what I think is a fountain.

PD

The artist is Frederic Marvin. Another example of his work -

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Prokofiev: The Prodigal Son.

A test pressing which turn up every so often.

Wanderer

Out of nowhere, these LP's came recently into my possession the usual unfortunate way (someone - a friend's relative - died). They seem to be in mint condition. Many are Melodiya issues (with Russian-only texts) and apparently they were bought directly from the source, during trips behind the Iron Curtain. Unfortunately, my turntable has been out of commission for years, so it may be some time before any of this gets played.

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 4 & Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3 (Petrov/Moscow Radio Large[?] Symphony Orchestra/Rozhdestvensky) - Melodiya

*ALL IN RUSSIAN* (State Russian Choir/Sveshnikov) - Melodiya

Bellini: Norma (Callas/Corelli/Ludwig/Zaccaria/de Palma/Vincenzi/Teatro alla Scala/Serafin) - EMI Columbia (a handsome boxset)

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Opp. 13, 27/2 & 57 (Serebryakov) - Melodiya

Haydn: Symphony No. 104 & Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 (?? Orchestra/Markevitch) - Melodiya

Haydn: Symphonies Nos. 88 & 100 (Hungarian State Orchestra/Adam Fischer) - Hungaroton

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 4 (Gilels/Cleveland Symphony Orchestra/Szell) - Melodiya

Dvořák: Violin Concerto & Romance, Op. 11 (Suk/Czech Philharmonic Orchestra/Ančerl) - Supraphon

"The Bells of the Alexander Nevski Memorial Church" and other music for a cappella choir by Hristov, Chesnokov & Bortnyanski ("S. Obretenov" Bulgarian A Cappella Choir et al.) - Balkanton

Beethoven: Violin Concerto (Kogan/USSR Radio Symphony Orchestra/Svetlanov) - Melodiya

An 8-LP collection of Tchaikovsky - another handsome boxset {Piano Concerto No. 1 with Wild/RPO/Fistoulari, Violin Concerto with Perlman/LSO/Wallenstein, Symphony No. 5 with the New Philharmonia Orchestra/Horenstein, Symphony No. 6 with the London Festival Orchestra/Gibson, Suites from The Nutcracker (New Symphony Orchestra of London/Boult), Swan Lake (New Symphony Orchestra of London/Boult) and The Sleeping Beauty (RPO/Gamley), Francesca da Rimini (RPO/Münch) and other paraphernalia (Capriccio Italien, Romeo & Juliet Overture, the ubiquitous 1812 Overture, Marche Slave, Waltz & Polonaise from Eugene Onegin and a few more bits and pieces)}

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on August 31, 2022, 12:31:48 AM
Prokofiev: The Prodigal Son.

A test pressing which turn up every so often.
Pretty cool find there Irons!  :)

Any idea looking at the notations on the label as to where in the lineup this pressing fell?

Quote from: Wanderer on August 31, 2022, 03:57:34 AM
Out of nowhere, these LP's came recently into my possession the usual unfortunate way (someone - a friend's relative - died). They seem to be in mint condition. Many are Melodiya issues (with Russian-only texts) and apparently they were bought directly from the source, during trips behind the Iron Curtain. Unfortunately, my turntable has been out of commission for years, so it may be some time before any of this gets played.

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 4 & Prokofiev: Piano Concerto No. 3 (Petrov/Moscow Radio Large[?] Symphony Orchestra/Rozhdestvensky) - Melodiya

Bellini: Norma (Callas/Corelli/Ludwig/Zaccaria/de Palma/Vincenzi/Teatro alla Scala/Serafin) - EMI Columbia (a handsome boxset)

Haydn: Symphony No. 104 & Beethoven: Symphony No. 8 (?? Orchestra/Markevitch) - Melodiya

Haydn: Symphonies Nos. 88 & 100 (Hungarian State Orchestra/Adam Fischer) - Hungaroton

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 4 (Cleveland Symphony Orchestra/Szell) - Melodiya

Dvořák: Violin Concerto & Romance, Op. 11 (Suk/Czech Philharmonic Orchestra/Ančerl) - Supraphon

"The Bells of the Alexander Nevski Memorial Church" and other music for a cappella choir by Hristov, Chesnokov & Bortnyanski ("S. Obretenov" Bulgarian A Cappella Choir et al.) - Balkanton

Beethoven: Violin Concerto (Kogan/USSR Radio Symphony Orchestra/Svetlanov) - Melodiya

An 8-LP collection of Tchaikovsky - another handsome boxset {Piano Concerto No. 1 with Wild/RPO/Fistoulari, Violin Concerto with Perlman/LSO/Wallenstein, Symphony No. 5 with the New Philharmonia Orchestra/Horenstein, Symphony No. 6 with the London Festival Orchestra/Gibson, Suites from The Nutcracker (New Symphony Orchestra of London/Boult), Swan Lake (New Symphony Orchestra of London/Boult) and The Sleeping Beauty (RPO/Gamley), Francesca da Rimini (RPO/Münch) and other paraphernalia (Capriccio Italien, Romeo & Juliet Overture, the ubiquitous 1812 Overture, Marche Slave, Waltz & Polonaise from Eugene Onegin and a few more bits and pieces)}
Wow!  I'm sorry (first of all) to hear of your friend's loss.

That was quite a nice gift that he/she gave to you.  I hope that this incentivizes you to get your TT fixed and soon.

Perhaps when you do get it fixed, you can invite your friend over for a drink/coffee/meal and listen to some of them together?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Valentino

That's both sad and wonderful, Wanderer. PD has two very good ideas there.

Thanks for the tip. Put it on order at imusic.dk. They say release date is 23 September.

On the technical side I've replaced the original electronics board of my 49 years old Thorens TD 125 Mk. II with a modern one that swaps 16 2/3 for 78 rpm. I have on order an Alfred Bokrand AS-230 tone arm to replace the SME 3009 Improved. The Bokrand is medium heavy. It can balance an Ortofon SPU and tame a Denon DL-103. And I'm going to get a cartridge for 78s for fun.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Wanderer

Quote from: Valentino on August 31, 2022, 12:35:48 PM

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 31, 2022, 09:44:59 AM
Wow!  I'm sorry (first of all) to hear of your friend's loss.

That was quite a nice gift that he/she gave to you.  I hope that this incentivizes you to get your TT fixed and soon.

Perhaps when you do get it fixed, you can invite your friend over for a drink/coffee/meal and listen to some of them together?

Thank you, both.

They are very close friends. I'm sure they partly intended these as an (unneeded) thank you for legal advice regarding the inheritance (unfortunately, the deceased left things needlessly complicated for the heirs). They also know I listen to classical music (they don't, despite my so far efforts) and probably thought who better to get the "classical stuff" off their hands. Regardless, next time they visit, they will be amply wined and dined. Greek style!

Refurbishing/fixing the old TT has always been at the back of my mind. Maybe even getting a new one eventually. I'll be sure to ask the knowledgeable people here for tips when the time comes. 😎

vandermolen

Quote from: Valentino on August 31, 2022, 12:35:48 PM
Thanks for the tip. Put it on order at imusic.dk. They say release date is 23 September.

On the technical side I've replaced the original electronics board of my 49 years old Thorens TD 125 Mk. II with a modern one that swaps 16 2/3 for 78 rpm. I have on order an Alfred Bokrand AS-230 tone arm to replace the SME 3009 Improved. The Bokrand is medium heavy. It can balance an Ortofon SPU and tame a Denon DL-103. And I'm going to get a cartridge for 78s for fun.
I'd be interested to know what you think of the VW LP when it appears.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

aligreto

Quote from: Wanderer on August 31, 2022, 03:57:34 AM

Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 4 (Gilels/Cleveland Symphony Orchestra/Szell) - Melodiya

Not the best of circumstances for the receipt of such a thank you gift. Best of luck with refurbishing/fixing the old TT if you decide to go that way. It may be worth it just to hear those recordings.

Valentino

I certainly shall, vandermolen.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Irons

Bach: 2nd Partita.

Interestingly, I have just noticed the cover notes are by Claude Helffer. In French so no idea what they say. :-[

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 06, 2022, 02:53:08 AM
Bach: 2nd Partita.

Interestingly, I have just noticed the cover notes are by Claude Helffer. In French so no idea what they say. :-[
I found the liner notes for a Columbia release (Marketed for the English-speaking countries?) here, but they are different I suspect than yours as I just found out that Claude Helffer was a student of RC.  For what it's worth, here's a link to the Columbia ones (on eBay):  https://www.ebay.com/itm/273238703248

*ML5446

Perhaps if you posted another picture, but this time of the back cover/liner notes, I or others here could help figure it out for you?  :)  I'd be happy to try in any event.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 06, 2022, 10:30:04 AM
I found the liner notes for a Columbia release (Marketed for the English-speaking countries?) here, but they are different I suspect than yours as I just found out that Claude Helffer was a student of RC.  For what it's worth, here's a link to the Columbia ones (on eBay):  https://www.ebay.com/itm/273238703248

*ML5446

Perhaps if you posted another picture, but this time of the back cover/liner notes, I or others here could help figure it out for you?  :)  I'd be happy to try in any event.

PD

Thanks PD. $75 is a "meaty" price, I paid 9 quid. I also have another release from the same series,  will post an image of that and liner notes from Bach in the morning. I was unaware Hellfer was a pupil of Casadesus.