Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 12, 2022, 10:59:23 AM
Salad for me too. Wife at an Elvis tribute concert and salad about as far my cookery skills take me!
Enjoy!  And hope that she has a fun time!  :)

And I suspect, unlike mine, that everything in it will be from your own fine allotments.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 12, 2022, 11:02:28 AM
Enjoy!  And hope that she has a fun time!  :)

And I suspect, unlike mine, that everything in it will be from your own fine allotments.

PD

She did. The show was of all places at Windsor! She could not get over the size of the castle. The carpet of floral tributes sent up a heady scent.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 13, 2022, 05:52:52 AM
She did. The show was of all places at Windsor! She could not get over the size of the castle. The carpet of floral tributes sent up a heady scent.
Wow!

I've been wondering here as to whether or not anyone of our contributors here has or is planning to try and view the casket or any of various funeral or memorial events.  Perhaps will post this elsewhere.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Spinning.

Beethoven: Trio No.6 "Archduke".

Intense music-making. Notes included details of the recording, all trios set down in long takes. 0p.70 No.2 recorded complete in one session.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on September 13, 2022, 11:52:02 PM
Was going to try, but ultimately think that a 30 hour queue is a bit beyond my staying powers...
We remain ready to pounce on (say) Sunday night, should it be announced that the queue is shorter than anticipated.
I'm wondering whether or not emergency services will need to be called to assist people who experience health problems from/whilst waiting in line? 🙁

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Bought these some days ago, for a very reasonable price, at an antiquarian sale.

The old LP with Danish piano music is very rare, I never saw it before, the cover is slightly damaged however.

Rarity also applies to the 2LP with 20th century lieder by Reimann, Bialas, Schoenberg, Britten, Dallapiccola etc., released by a German foundation, the Franz Wirth Stiftung. There isn't a label or record number on the cover, but the LPs say GEMA 2834-35.

Some of the fine CPE Bach flute concertos were released on Brilliant CDs, but this is the complete set.

A lot of the Neue Wiener Schule 4LP recordings I haven't heard, I only owned a download CD of the famous Schoenberg String Trio, and I've heard almost none of those Menuhin 4LP recordings. He tends to be uneven I think, but he also has character ...

The Shchedrin /Petrov was rather redundant, but I didn't have the Petrov work.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 15, 2022, 11:47:20 PM
Bought these some days ago, for a very reasonable price, at an antiquarian sale.

The old LP with Danish piano music is very rare, I never saw it before, the cover is slightly damaged however.

The same applies to the 2LP with 20th century lieder by Reimann, Bialas, Schoenberg, Britten, Dallapiccola etc., released by a German foundation, the Franz Wirth Stiftung. There isn't a label or record number on the cover, but the LPs say GEMA 2834-35.

Some of the fine CPE Bach flute concertos were released on Brilliant CDs, but this is the complete set.

A lot of the Neue Wiener Schule 4LP recordings I haven't heard, I only owned a download CD of the famous Schoenberg String Trio, and I've heard almost none of those Menuhin 4LP recordings. He tends to be uneven I think, but he also has character ...

Oh, how fun!  Was it an an auction or an estate sale?  I haven't been to either in a while, but they can be awfully fun poking around.  Years ago, I bought some old mono Pablo Casals 33's, alas when I brought them home and went to clean them, I couldn't get the smell of the mold out of the labels!  I used my Okki Nokki on the LPs, which worked well, but the labels still wreaked of it, so I ended up tossing them.

I hadn't heard of Franz Wirth before, so quickly googled and found this:  http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/179523.html

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: absolutelybaching on September 13, 2022, 11:52:02 PM
Was going to try, but ultimately think that a 30 hour queue is a bit beyond my staying powers...
We remain ready to pounce on (say) Sunday night, should it be announced that the queue is shorter than anticipated.
Last I heard (yesterday I believe), the line waiting time was between 2-3 hours.  And, I just checked the official website...not looking so good (currently):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJxDwDzAwEs

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 16, 2022, 01:26:50 AM
Oh, how fun!  Was it an an auction or an estate sale?  I haven't been to either in a while, but they can be awfully fun poking around.  Years ago, I bought some old mono Pablo Casals 33's, alas when I brought them home and went to clean them, I couldn't get the smell of the mold out of the labels!  I used my Okki Nokki on the LPs, which worked well, but the labels still wreaked of it, so I ended up tossing them.

I hadn't heard of Franz Wirth before, so quickly googled and found this:  http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/179523.html

PD

Thanks for the Wirth piano maker information, that's completely new to me. Given that he belongs to around 1900 and the factory closed in 1929, the foundation must have supported quite a lot of projects during its existence, one would think.

The sales happen regularly in an old church hall in central Copenhagen, it's an antiqurian book seller and butterfly expert, likely more of a pensioner now, who buys up stuff and sells it about every 2 months or so, having rented the hall and selling according to what we call the 'Dutch principle', meaning that prices go down during the sale. The record and CD section is usually not that interesting, and stuff even tends to re-appear due to not being sold, but this time he seems to have gotten some interesting stuff ... the LP surfaces were fine. But especially the book sections tends to be good. He's married to a Chinese (Tibetan?) and had a butterfly species on Crete named after him, so an interesting fellow.

What are the LP buying options at your place then?

Irons

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 15, 2022, 11:47:20 PM

Rarity also applies to the 2LP with 20th century lieder by Reimann, Bialas, Schoenberg, Britten, Dallapiccola etc., released by a German foundation, the Franz Wirth Stiftung. There isn't a label or record number on the cover, but the LPs say GEMA 2834-35.

Is that Petrov the pianist?

The Menuhin box contains some excellent recordings from him. Bloch, Berkeley and Walton are outstanding.

MusicTurner

Yes, by Menuhin I only had the Berkeley, am listening to the surprisingly early recording of the Lekeu sonata now (1938), the sound is more like in the 1940s ...

It's another Petrov, not very important: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrey_Petrov

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 16, 2022, 01:44:33 AM
Thanks for the Wirth piano maker information, that's completely new to me. Given that he belongs to around 1900 and closed in 1929, the foundation must have supported quite a lot of projects during its existence, one would think.

The sales happen regularly in an old church hall in central Copenhagen, it's an antiqurian book seller and butterfly expert, likely more of a pensioner now, who buys up stuff and sells it about every 2 months or so, having rented the hall and selling according to what we call the 'Ducth principle', meaning that prices go down during the sale. The record and CD section is usually not that interesting, and stuff even tends to re-appear due to not being sold, but this time he seems to have gotten some interesting stuff ... the LP surfaces were fine. But especially the book sections tends to be good. He's married to a Chinese (Tibetan?) and had a butterfly species on Crete named after him, so an interesting fellow.

What are the LP buying options at your place then?
He does sound like an interesting fellow!  There are some occasional ephemera shows in the area (sometimes including other things), sometimes estate sales or tag sales (tag as in yard sales).  Sometimes local books stores (used books) have LPs for sale; booksellers sometimes also have the opportunity to purchase LPs and/or other things from people wanting to either get rid of their collections (or a deceased relative's).  Kind of hit or miss.  Haven't visited a flea market in ages, so I don't know whether or not there are still any record vendors there.  As I'm sure that you have also discovered, LP condition is often lousy.  I used to also visit charity places like Salvation Army or Goodwill, but they seem to have turned into the dumping ground for collectors or record store owners/resellers--bringing their unwanted and/or damaged copies there for a tax write-off (or unwilling to pay for the cost to dispose of them themselves). 

Also, occasionally there are some record fairs in the area (small ones), but again, I haven't been to them in awhile.  I'm lucky in that there are a few stores around that sell LPs, but again, you have to be in a very patient mood and be willing to dig and examine them in good light.  Classical, alas, is often on the floor and/or in a hard-to-get-to bin!  Sigh....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 16, 2022, 02:11:54 AM
He does sound like an interesting fellow!  There are some occasional ephemera shows in the area (sometimes including other things), sometimes estate sales or tag sales (tag as in yard sales).  Sometimes local books stores (used books) have LPs for sale; booksellers sometimes also have the opportunity to purchase LPs and/or other things from people wanting to either get rid of their collections (or a deceased relative's).  Kind of hit or miss.  Haven't visited a flea market in ages, so I don't know whether or not there are still any record vendors there.  As I'm sure that you have also discovered, LP condition is often lousy.  I used to also visit charity places like Salvation Army or Goodwill, but they seem to have turned into the dumping ground for collectors or record store owners/resellers--bringing their unwanted and/or damaged copies there for a tax write-off (or unwilling to pay for the cost to dispose of them themselves). 

Also, occasionally there are some record fairs in the area (small ones), but again, I haven't been to them in awhile.  I'm lucky in that there are a few stores around that sell LPs, but again, you have to be in a very patient mood and be willing to dig and examine them in good light.  Classical, alas, is often on the floor and/or in a hard-to-get-to bin!  Sigh....

PD

Well, that does seem to be quite a varied range, and pretty unpredictable as regards any future discoveries ... but I agree that especially at charity shops, they usually don't check the condition of LP surfaces enough, often with no qualified people around among the volunteer staff. I'm pretty sure that the selection in the US is quite different from the one here, since you'd see American labels and releases, maybe Canadian and Latin-South American ones too, that are extremely rare here - and vice versa. When seeing such stuff here in Denmark, it always results in looking one more time, to check it out a bit extra.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 16, 2022, 02:28:06 AM
Well, that does seem to be quite a varied range, and pretty unpredictable as regards any future discoveries ... but I agree that especially at charity shops, they usually don't check the condition of LP surfaces enough, often with no qualified people around among the volunteer staff. I'm pretty sure that the selection in the US is quite different from the one here, since you'd see American labels and releases, maybe Canadian and Latin-South American ones too, that are extremely rare here - and vice versa. When seeing such stuff here in Denmark, it always results in looking one more time, to check it out a bit extra.
I don't recall having seen any Latin-South American ones before.  Perhaps one might run across them in major cities?  A couple of times, I've run across a classical album manufactured in Canada or for the Canadian market.  I do run across (fairly often) records manufactured in the UK and once in a blue moon, ones made in France.  And there are situations, like with Decca, in which the covers were made in the US, but the records were made in England.  Then there are Dutch pressings on Philips (quite common).  Also, once in a blue moon, I'll run across albums pressed in Italy.

Personally, I'm envious of all of those lovely Decca and EMI pressings that folks like Irons keep running across!  :)  I suspect that you often run across BIS LPs?  Once in a blue moon, I'll come across some of them--but not often enough!  I want to get ahold of more of that Sibelius Edition!  :D  Which labels do you often come across MT?  Dacapo?  Others?  Do tell!  ;D

Oh, and I often run across German pressings too--fairly often anyway.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 16, 2022, 02:54:18 AM
I don't recall having seen any Latin-South American ones before.  Perhaps one might run across them in major cities?  A couple of times, I've run across a classical album manufactured in Canada or for the Canadian market.  I do run across (fairly often) records manufactured in the UK and once in a blue moon, ones made in France.  And there are situations, like with Decca, in which the covers were made in the US, but the records were made in England.  Then there are Dutch pressings on Philips (quite common).  Also, once in a blue moon, I'll run across albums pressed in Italy.

Personally, I'm envious of all of those lovely Decca and EMI pressings that folks like Irons keep running across!  :)  I suspect that you often run across BIS LPs?  Once in a blue moon, I'll come across some of them--but not often enough!  I want to get ahold of more of that Sibelius Edition!  :D  Which labels do you often come across MT?  Dacapo?  Others?  Do tell!  ;D

Oh, and I often run across German pressings too--fairly often anyway.

PD

There's a lot of stuff here, I'd rather mention some LP labels that I don't see that often, or rarely (there are some BIS at times, but they're not abundant):

European labels:
- Wergo (German)
- Deutscher Musikrat (German)
- Donemus Amsterdam (Dutch)
- Ensayo (Spanish)
- Amadeo (Austrian)
- Balkanton (Bulgarian)
- Jugoton (former Yugoslavia)
- Cybele, Accord, REM, Musidisc (French)
- Paula, Point, Wilhelm Hansen (Danish)
- Musique en Wallonie (Belgian)
- Caprice (Swedish)
- Simax (Norwegian)
- Lyrita (British)
- Chandos (British)
- Genesis
- Pearl (British)

Overseas/US labels:
- Louisville
- American Recording Society
- International Piano Archives
- United Artists Records
- Telarc
- New World Records
- Mercury, the stereo LPs
- CRI Composers Recordings
- Desto
- Orion
- World Record Club
- Arabesque
- Connoisseur Society
- Marco Polo

(I'm sure I forgot some :) )

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: MusicTurner on September 16, 2022, 09:46:27 AM
There's a lot of stuff here, I'd rather mention some LP labels that I don't see that often, or rarely (there are some BIS at times, but they're not abundant):

European labels:
- Wergo (German)
- Deutscher Musikrat (German)
- Donemus Amsterdam (Dutch)
- Ensayo (Spanish)
- Amadeo (Austrian)
- Balkanton (Bulgarian)
- Jugoton (former Yugoslavia)
- Cybele, Accord, REM, Musidisc (French)
- Paula, Point, Wilhelm Hansen (Danish)
- Musique en Wallonie (Belgian)
- Caprice (Swedish)
- Simax (Norwegian)
- Lyrita (British)
- Chandos (British)
- Genesis
- Pearl (British)

Overseas/US labels:
- Louisville
- American Recording Society
- International Piano Archives
- United Artists Records
- Telarc
- New World Records
- Mercury, the stereo LPs
- CRI Composers Recordings
- Desto
- Orion
- World Record Club
- Arabesque
- Connoisseur Society
- Marco Polo

(I'm sure I forgot some :) )
Oh, boy, there are a bunch of labels that I've never heard of before!   ???  Like:  Orion, Desto, Louisville, Genesis, and others.

I do also sometimes stumble upon Lyrita and Chandos (the latter more frequently of the two).  Connoisseur Society--on occasion though with that label condition is everything!  Particularly in solo piano music.  Trying to find copies in good shape of Moravec's is a challenge!

Finlandia is another label that I'd love to get ahold of more of whether it's CD or LP.  I do have some CDs of theirs.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

MusicTurner

Yes, for quite a few labels, CDs are easier to find nowadays, partly because of more stuff being released on CD, and better options of buying CDs on the internet, of course. 

aligreto

Horslips: Drive The Cold Winter Away

I was given a gift of this LP recently. It needs a bit of TLC but it has come to a good home.

aligreto

Quote from: Irons on September 13, 2022, 11:38:20 PM
Spinning.

Beethoven: Trio No.6 "Archduke".

Intense music-making. Notes included details of the recording, all trios set down in long takes. 0p.70 No.2 recorded complete in one session.

Du Pré was a Force of Nature!