Thirty three and a third.

Started by Irons, November 22, 2018, 11:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 08, 2022, 06:45:17 AMI'm curious here to know if anyone else has heard and/or has recordings by the Lithunian String Quartet?

I ran across an upload on youtube (when I was trying to find any recordings by the Beethoven String Quartet) of B's No. 5.  It was on a 10-inch LP on Melodiya.  Apparently, they went through several name iterations (minor variances)--or maybe this was due more to the production at the label's end?  In any event, I quite enjoyed it.  Discogs has some info about the group there.

PD

My guess this is the Vilnius Quartet as Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania. They used the Ciurlionis art gallery in Vilnius as a recording venue. Ciurlionis was both an artist and composer and a very good one too.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 08, 2022, 08:44:15 AMMy guess this is the Vilnius Quartet as Vilnius is the capital of Lithuania. They used the Ciurlionis art gallery in Vilnius as a recording venue. Ciurlionis was both an artist and composer and a very good one too.

I tried googling the name on the upload and had it translated to english.  Apparently the Valst. is short for Government but I couldn't find out what Nusip (which is an abbreviation ) means.  Any idea?

And, yes, Discogs does say that the group was founded in Vilnius (I had quoted them on the "What are you listening to now" thread).  Here's a copy of that and a link:  https://www.discogs.com/artist/1373305-Lietuvos-Kvartetas

"Lietuvos Kvartetas
Lietuvos Kvartetas
More Images

Lietuvos Kvartetas
Profile:
Lietuvos Kvartetas (Lithuanian Quartet) was a string quartet founded in Vilnius in 1945. It specialized in chamber music and played works of both classical and contemporary composers. The quartet was among the prize winners of international music festivals in Budapest, Hungary (1959) and Liège, Belgium (1964). Lietuvos Kvartetas ceased to exist in 1997.

Former members:
First Violin - Eugenijus Paulauskas (1946 – 1978 and 1981 – 1997)
Second Violin - Kornelija Kalinauskaitė (1946 - 1981)
Viola - Jurgis Fledžinskas (1946 - 1981)
Cello - Michail Šenderov (1952 – 1961)
Cello - Romualdas Kulikauskas (1962 - 1990)
More
Members:
Ernestas Bertovskis, Eugenijus Paulauskas, Jurgis Fledžinskas, Kornelija Kalinauskaitė, Michailas Šenderovas, Romualdas Kulikauskas
Variations:
Viewing All | Lietuvos Kvartetas
LTSR Nusip. Kol. Valst. Filharmonijos Styg. Kvartetas, LTSR Nusip. Valst. Styginis Kvartetas, LTSR Nusipelnes Meno Kolekt. Valst. Kvartetas, LTSR Nusipelnęs Valstybinis Kvartetas, LTSR Valst. Filharmonijos Kvartetas, LTSR Valst. Filharmonijos Styg. Kvartetas, LTSR Valst. Kvartetas, Leedu Keelpillikvartett, Lietuvos Styginių Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Nusip. Valst. Styginis Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Nusip. Valstybinis Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Valst. Filharmonijos Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Valst. Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Valst. Styginis Kvartetas, Lietuvos Valst. Filharmonijos Kvartetas, Lietuvos Valstybinis Kvartetas, Lithuanian Quartet, Lithuanian State Philharmonic Society Quartet, Lithuanian State Quartet, Quartet Of Lithuanian State Philharmonic Society, Styg. Kvartetas, Гос. Квартет Литовской ССР, Квартет Гос. Филармонии Литовской ССР, Квартет Лит. Гос. Филарм., Квартет Литовской Гос. Филармонии, Литовский Квартет"

Have you heard any of their recordings Irons?

I do have a couple of things by Ciurlionis.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 08, 2022, 09:01:43 AMI tried googling the name on the upload and had it translated to english.  Apparently the Valst. is short for Government but I couldn't find out what Nusip (which is an abbreviation ) means.  Any idea?

And, yes, Discogs does say that the group was founded in Vilnius (I had quoted them on the "What are you listening to now" thread).  Here's a copy of that and a link:  https://www.discogs.com/artist/1373305-Lietuvos-Kvartetas

"Lietuvos Kvartetas
Lietuvos Kvartetas
More Images

Lietuvos Kvartetas
Profile:
Lietuvos Kvartetas (Lithuanian Quartet) was a string quartet founded in Vilnius in 1945. It specialized in chamber music and played works of both classical and contemporary composers. The quartet was among the prize winners of international music festivals in Budapest, Hungary (1959) and Liège, Belgium (1964). Lietuvos Kvartetas ceased to exist in 1997.

Former members:
First Violin - Eugenijus Paulauskas (1946 – 1978 and 1981 – 1997)
Second Violin - Kornelija Kalinauskaitė (1946 - 1981)
Viola - Jurgis Fledžinskas (1946 - 1981)
Cello - Michail Šenderov (1952 – 1961)
Cello - Romualdas Kulikauskas (1962 - 1990)
More
Members:
Ernestas Bertovskis, Eugenijus Paulauskas, Jurgis Fledžinskas, Kornelija Kalinauskaitė, Michailas Šenderovas, Romualdas Kulikauskas
Variations:
Viewing All | Lietuvos Kvartetas
LTSR Nusip. Kol. Valst. Filharmonijos Styg. Kvartetas, LTSR Nusip. Valst. Styginis Kvartetas, LTSR Nusipelnes Meno Kolekt. Valst. Kvartetas, LTSR Nusipelnęs Valstybinis Kvartetas, LTSR Valst. Filharmonijos Kvartetas, LTSR Valst. Filharmonijos Styg. Kvartetas, LTSR Valst. Kvartetas, Leedu Keelpillikvartett, Lietuvos Styginių Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Nusip. Valst. Styginis Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Nusip. Valstybinis Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Valst. Filharmonijos Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Valst. Kvartetas, Lietuvos TSR Valst. Styginis Kvartetas, Lietuvos Valst. Filharmonijos Kvartetas, Lietuvos Valstybinis Kvartetas, Lithuanian Quartet, Lithuanian State Philharmonic Society Quartet, Lithuanian State Quartet, Quartet Of Lithuanian State Philharmonic Society, Styg. Kvartetas, Гос. Квартет Литовской ССР, Квартет Гос. Филармонии Литовской ССР, Квартет Лит. Гос. Филарм., Квартет Литовской Гос. Филармонии, Литовский Квартет"

Have you heard any of their recordings Irons?

I do have a couple of things by Ciurlionis.  :)

PD

That settles it, my theory is wrong as members of Vilnius Quartet are A. Vainiunate, P. Kuntsa, D. Katkus and A. Vasiliauskas. I will listen to the upload of Lithunian SQ on YouTube with interest.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Hindemith: Symphonic Metamorphoses on Themes by Weber.

Hindemith is sometimes portrayed as a dry composer. "Metamorphoses" is anything but, in fact a hoot.

Not much to choose between Abbado and Ormandy. Slightly clearer recording in the former but Ormandy brings a touch more swagger.

Irons

Current listening inspired by discussions on other threads.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 22, 2022, 01:36:25 PMCurrent listening inspired by discussions on other threads.

Two great LPs!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

A couple of early Lyrita recordings made by Richard Itter in his home studio. The sound is dry but the ear soon adjusts.
Gordon Jacob's Piano Sonata - his only large scale work for solo piano - surprised me. I had Jacob down as a conservative composer. I need to revise that as this at times fiery sonata is a tour de force.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 23, 2022, 11:49:54 PMA couple of early Lyrita recordings made by Richard Itter in his home studio. The sound is dry but the ear soon adjusts.
Gordon Jacob's Piano Sonata - his only large scale work for solo piano - surprised me. I had Jacob down as a conservative composer. I need to revise that as this at times fiery sonata is a tour de force.
Interesting Lol. Jacob is an interesting composer. I've been waiting for decades for his Concerto for Two Pianos (three hands) to be released on CD. It was left out when its LP companions by Bliss and Arnold were transferred to CD.
Happy Christmas
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 23, 2022, 11:58:54 PMInteresting Lol. Jacob is an interesting composer. I've been waiting for decades for his Concerto for Two Pianos (three hands) to be released on CD. It was left out when its LP companions by Bliss and Arnold were transferred to CD.
Happy Christmas

And a happy New Year to you, Jeffrey.

Most interesting to read your comments on the Jacob Concerto. Had a look in the usual places and the recording you mention is readily available on LP. I noted also available on the reissue "Greensleeves" label. Little confidence in the Royal Mail at present but will possibly look in obtaining a copy in the new year.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 26, 2022, 12:36:42 AMAnd a happy New Year to you, Jeffrey.

Most interesting to read your comments on the Jacob Concerto. Had a look in the usual places and the recording you mention is readily available on LP. I noted also available on the reissue "Greensleeves" label. Little confidence in the Royal Mail at present but will possibly look in obtaining a copy in the new year.
Thank you Lol - and to you too.
Yes, that's a fine LP (all three works) - a pity that the Jacob got left out in the cold. It's a very catchy work. The other favourite is his First Symphony, especially the very moving slow movement in memory of his brother killed in the First World War.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 26, 2022, 10:42:53 AMThank you Lol - and to you too.
Yes, that's a fine LP (all three works) - a pity that the Jacob got left out in the cold. It's a very catchy work. The other favourite is his First Symphony, especially the very moving slow movement in memory of his brother killed in the First World War.

Thanks Jeffrey I have ordered the LP. Arnold conducting Jacob is an added attraction.

Spinning.Copland conducts Copland in the CBS 'Meet the Composer' series.

Copland is a very consistent composer. I have yet to hear a dud.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 30, 2022, 12:08:48 AMThanks Jeffrey I have ordered the LP. Arnold conducting Jacob is an added attraction.

Nice!  :) Glad that you are enjoying his music.

In a few minutes, CBS This Morning (a nationally televised t.v. show) will be doing a segment on Abbey Road and Paul McCartney which I'm looking forward to watching.

EDIT:  It was actually an interview with Mary McCartney who directed a documentary about Abbey Road studios called "If These Walls Could Sing" and included interviews with some of the artists who recorded there (and not just rock musicians).  Apparently, it's currently streaming on Disney+.  Not certain how you can watch it otherwise.
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Hit 90 pages. Ten more to go and I will sit back and light a cigar (not really). 8)

Rate Copland highly, PD. Every piece has his stamp - how do composers do that? A recognisable string sound.

I do not have the Disney channel which is a shame as the programme sounds interesting.

BTW Happy New Year. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on December 30, 2022, 06:12:28 AMHit 90 pages. Ten more to go and I will sit back and light a cigar (not really). 8)

Rate Copland highly, PD. Every piece has his stamp - how do composers do that? A recognisable string sound.

I do not have the Disney channel which is a shame as the programme sounds interesting.

BTW Happy New Year. 
;D

There's a trailer for it here:  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=if+these+walls+could+sing

Doing a quick bit of googling, it looks like Hulu (at least in the US) has a free month streaming trial (which includes Disney+ ).

Perhaps there's something similar that you could try in the UK?  Or possibly just sign up for one month then cancel it?  https://thestreamable.com/uk/news/how-to-watch-abbey-road-documentary-if-these-walls-could-sing

I did also run across this article which it says that it will be released in the UK on January 6th.  https://whatsondisneyplus.com/how-to-watch-if-these-walls-could-sing/

And a very Happy New Year to you too!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on December 30, 2022, 12:08:48 AMThanks Jeffrey I have ordered the LP. Arnold conducting Jacob is an added attraction.

I remember having to smuggle that 'Outdoor Overture' LP past my parents!

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 31, 2022, 03:46:44 AMI remember having to smuggle that 'Outdoor Overture' LP past my parents!
Past your parents?  Why?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on December 31, 2022, 03:57:06 AMPast your parents?  Why?

PD
Like my wife they complained about me buying LPs (or in her case CDs)
I had a clever strategy which involved sneaking round to my ground-floor bedroom through the communal garden, throwing the LP onto the floor through the opening left in the window for out cats to go in and out, before appearing, all innocent looking, at the front door of our flat (apartment) a few moments later.  ::)  >:D

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on December 31, 2022, 05:21:38 AMLike my wife they complained about me buying LPs (or in her case CDs)
I had a clever strategy which involved sneaking round to my ground-floor bedroom through the communal garden, throwing the LP onto the floor through the opening left in the window for out cats to go in and out, before appearing, all innocent looking, at the front door of our flat (apartment) a few moments later.  ::)  >:D

A best kept secret how much I spent over the years (for my own sanity I keep it from myself!) But these days of cashless society that has gone. One mouse click and immediate notification to the better half. :o

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: vandermolen on December 31, 2022, 05:21:38 AMLike my wife they complained about me buying LPs (or in her case CDs)
Hard to think of parents complaining about a kid buying classical LPs.  :D

Quote from: Irons on January 01, 2023, 12:54:48 AMA best kept secret how much I spent over the years (for my own sanity I keep it from myself!) But these days of cashless society that has gone. One mouse click and immediate notification to the better half. :o
Oopsie!  But I bet that that didn't (necessarily) include purchases from charity shops and/or record stores?  ;)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Even charity shop prefer card payment these days, PD.

Managed to find a nice copy of the Cyril Smith & Phyllis Sellick LP that Jeffrey recommended above. Unless desperate for a particular LP I only purchase on eBay from trusted sellers. To paraphrase the Queen near mint may vary. York Records have a huge stock but I had to go elsewhere for this one. Delighted with the service from Marks Records. They don't use Royal Mail which is a good start, the record and cover are pristine and as well as cleaned by the seller a rice paper inner sleeve for protection is included. I will use Marks Records again in the future.