milk

San Antone

In roughly chronological order:

Jean Guyot
Te Deum laudamus & other sacred music
Cinquecento

Gabriel Fauré
Requiem & other sacred music
Yale Schola Cantorum, David Hill (conductor), Robert Bennesh (organ)

Christopher Tye
Missa Euge bone & Western Wynde Mass
Westminster Abbey Choir, James O'Donnell (conductor)

Franz Liszt
Piano Music
Lucille Chung (piano)

The Lily & the Rose
Adoration of the Virgin in sound and stone
The Binchois Consort, Andrew Kirkman (conductor)

Tanguero
Music from South America
Christoph Denoth (guitar)

Guillaume de Machaut
Fortune's Child
The Orlando Consort

Guillaume de Machaut
The gentle physician
The Orlando Consort

Antoine de Févin
Missa Ave Maria & Missa Salve sancta parens
The Brabant Ensemble, Stephen Rice (conductor)

Que

Quote from: milk on December 03, 2018, 03:52:09 AM

Great to see recordings of a favourite lutenist of mine - Paolo Cherici:)

Q

staxomega

I bought a lot in 2018, I'll include just what is making my reference list.

Two fantastic Beethoven piano sonata sets, Wilhelm Backhaus in mono and Andrea Lucchesini. I was also able to see Lucchesini live this year and he gave an absolutely stunning performance of Schubert's D959. Imgur album here. Lucchesini in particular, his trance inducing legato and just how natural he is playing Beethoven's music will have me coming back for a very long time.

Ekaterina Derzhavina Goldberg Variations, now my favorite performance the Goldbergs.

And a new for me performance of Tchaikovsky's 6 symphony which while not an absolute reference is one I enjoyed greatly.

Ivan Fischer Mahler S3

Claudio Arrau Complete Philips Recordings- helped fill in many gaps in my collection for a very good price. Between this set, the Early Years Marston Vol 2 (IMHO one of the best Marston releases), EMI box and Sony RCA/Victor box I feel like I now have a great overview of one of my favorite pianists :) I will still continue to look/add to his live releases.

And of course the big Szell box for the sheer number of fantastic performances at a bargain price with remasterings that sound better than my older CDs. More than likely due to a number of the discs being remixed.

vandermolen

Interesting that first two are by female composers:
[asin]B07FDQRLW9[/asin]
[asin]B07CG1QP2R[/asin]
[asin]B01GVYDWL2[/asin]
[asin]B073LWR87S[/asin]
[asin]B07G1XX3H1[/asin]
[asin] B019CNMAM6[/asin]
[asin]B076X47X2T[/asin]
Thanks to Cesar and Kyle for this magnificent work (Bax)
[asin]B0043XCKSU[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

JBS

Quote from: staxomega on December 04, 2018, 07:07:24 AM

Ekaterina Derzhavina Goldberg Variations, now my favorite performance the Goldbergs.

It's been quite a while since I played that recording, but I remember it as being indeed very well done.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2018, 10:33:26 AM
Interesting that first two are by female composers:
[asin]B07FDQRLW9[/asin]
[asin]B07CG1QP2R[/asin]
Both absolute favourites of mine, am playing them every week. Was surprised to find out that Ina Boyle, who doesn't eye very spectular at first hearing (sorry for the ear/eye confusion), keeps on growing on me. Both fabulous discs. And many thanks BTW.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Daverz

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 04, 2018, 01:03:32 PM
Both absolute favourites of mine, am playing them every week. Was surprised to find out that Ina Boyle, who doesn't eye very spectular at first hearing (sorry for the ear/eye confusion), keeps on growing on me. Both fabulous discs. And many thanks BTW.  ;D
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

I should have included this - a fabulous disc:
[asin]B07HGBM68Z[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on December 04, 2018, 02:57:02 PM
MusicWeb has their Best of 2018 list up (PDF):

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/ROTY_2018.pdf
Thanks for posting this interesting list which reminded me that I definitely should have included this CD of historic performances. It features the most moving performance of Symphony 4 IMHO:
[asin]B07895ZVC1[/asin]
Nelsons DGG recording of Shostakovich's symphonies 4 and 11 (my two favourites) could also have been included as well as Karabits's recording of Walton's symphonies 1 and 2.

Daverz

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2018, 11:28:58 PM
Thanks for posting this interesting list which reminded me that I definitely should have included this CD of historic performances. It features the most moving performance of Symphony 4 IMHO:
[asin]B07895ZVC1[/asin]
Nelsons DGG recording of Shostakovich's symphonies 4 and 11 (my two favourites) could also have been included as well as Karabits's recording of Walton's symphonies 1 and 2.

I didn't include the Karabits on my list because it was released in 2017.  Can't remember if I included it on my 2017 list.  I think I did include the Meister Martinu set on my 2017 list.

Papy Oli

I have only bought 3 or 4 classical CD's this year but among them, this Concerto Fantasy for two timpanists and orchestra by Philip Glass is one of the most exhilarating pieces i have been blown away by in a long while.

[asin]B0002X4UBA[/asin]
Olivier

steve ridgway

I'm still very pleased with the Pierre Henry 12 CD Polyphonies box I bought when it came out in the spring, it adds completely different material to the 10 CD Odyssee box I already had.

[asin]B0765QZ1LY[/asin]

This though is musique concrete and later in the year I began investigating orchestral music for which the 10 CD Masterworks of the 20th Century has been most enlightening.

[asin]B00TQNMCDU[/asin]

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on December 05, 2018, 10:37:12 AM
I didn't include the Karabits on my list because it was released in 2017.  Can't remember if I included it on my 2017 list.  I think I did include the Meister Martinu set on my 2017 list.

Yes, I think I might have done the same things with the Brabbins 'A London Symphony'.

prémont

Quote from: staxomega on December 04, 2018, 07:07:24 AM

Two fantastic Beethoven piano sonata sets, Wilhelm Backhaus in mono and Andrea Lucchesini..

Congratulations. :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

vandermolen

Added:
Especially for the poetic 'Symphonic Legend':
[asin]B07HN4B33B[/asin]

ritter

Highlights among my purchases of this year:

[asin]B076D14CFP[/asin]

[asin]B00L5J4QHS[/asin]
[asin]B008XKWAX4[/asin]
[asin]B000NIWI9A[/asin]

[asin]B07CXC36L3[/asin]
[asin]B079BJTWTY[/asin]

schnittkease

I'm glad to see the love for Schmitt this year!