Your Favourite Purchases of 2018

Started by milk, November 30, 2018, 01:22:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Some discs I acquired - Ina Boyle was a gracious gift among other gracious gifts by Vandermolen - this year that soon became personal favourites:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

Another couple that I bought (the Second) and only really started playing (the First) this year, are both CPO discs with the two wonderful symphonies by Ben-Haim:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Daverz

Megadittoes on the Ben-Haim discs.  Very fine works. 

I'll have to try that Ina Boyle disc.  I have to admit that I don't find the the Gipps disc essential, but perhaps I still need more time to warm up to the works.

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on December 09, 2018, 10:58:39 PM
Another couple that I bought (the Second) and only really started playing (the First) this year, are both CPO discs with the two wonderful symphonies by Ben-Haim:

I agree with Christo and Daverz - both fine symphonies.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

A plus to the Ben Haim discs as well, prompting me to search wider for this composers work.

A late aquisition, just playing disc no 3 now; this may well be a favorite discovery of 2018:

I have quite a bit of Holmboe but have found him occasionally (too often?) to be a bit of tough going (that famous Hindemith "dryness" that I seldom find in Hindemith), but not so these first 3 discs of marvellous concertos in wonderful sound.

Brian

Christo, how would you describe Volkmar Andreae in broad terms as a composer?

Christo

Quote from: Brian on December 14, 2018, 05:52:55 PM
Christo, how would you describe Volkmar Andreae in broad terms as a composer?
Hi, KyJo knows him better - I followed his tip and found this CD with the [Second] Symphony in C, Op. 31 as well as all the other pieces very rewarding. The style of the symphony: I'ld say post-Brahmsian in a manner not unlike Franz Schmidt, but much more lyrical alternated with a Brucknerian grandeur; perhaps more akin to Freitas Branco 2 & 3 but again: more spirited. In a blind listening test (great idea BTW :D), few would guess Central Europe; rather Scandinavia, perhaps France. The middle symphonies by Erkki Melartin may make a good comparison. Hope Kyle will serve you better.  ;D

Que

My favourite purchases of 2018.  :)

I feel that this year was less of a collecting year than last year, with some notable duds here and there and not many life changing discoveries...
This year was also the first year without my go-to nearby little shop with great bargains. I now have to completely rely on internet sources, which does change the dynamics of my purchases. The "random discovery" factor has been been out of the equation, and I dearly miss it.

But then again, there are always some jewels to be found:

Early Music:

I have been seeking out recordings by the Huelgas Ensemble & Paul van Nevel. These stood out:

Harpsichord & organ music:

Baroque - general:

I was so impressed with Amarillys Dieltiens' Italian Baroque Christmas album, that I ordered another recording by her - which proved to be as successfull:

I guess Joseph-Hector Fiocco was my Baroque discovery of the year:

Classical & Romantic:

Q

Marc

2018 was probably my 'lowest' collecting year of the last 3 decades.
OTOH, partly thanks to that, I enjoyed older purchases more than ever. ;)

Here are my 3 favourite purchases of 2018:

The Dufay Spectacle, Motets & chansons of G. Dufay (ca. 1397-1474), Gothic Voices (label: Linn Records).
https://www.amazon.com/Dufay-Spectacle-Gothic-Voices/dp/B07B62QP9V/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Complete Apparaticus Musico-Organisticus, G. Muffat (1653-1704), Adriano Falcioni, organ (label: Brilliant Classics).
https://www.amazon.com/Muffat-Apparatus-Musico-Organisticus-Adriano-Falcioni/dp/B00G76CXQU/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Consolatio, cantatas BWV 22, 127 & 75 of J.S. Bach (1685-1750), Ricercar Consort, Philippe Pierlot (label: Mirare).
https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Consolatio-Ricercar-Consort/dp/B0789TBXFS/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Christo

Still digesting the boxed sets from JPC, part of them still on offer:

Marc

Quote from: Marc on December 27, 2018, 10:57:12 PM
2018 was probably my 'lowest' collecting year of the last 3 decades.
OTOH, partly thanks to that, I enjoyed older purchases more than ever. ;)

Here are my 3 favourite purchases of 2018:

The Dufay Spectacle, Motets & chansons of G. Dufay (ca. 1397-1474), Gothic Voices (label: Linn Records).
https://www.amazon.com/Dufay-Spectacle-Gothic-Voices/dp/B07B62QP9V/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Complete Apparaticus Musico-Organisticus, G. Muffat (1653-1704), Adriano Falcioni, organ (label: Brilliant Classics).
https://www.amazon.com/Muffat-Apparatus-Musico-Organisticus-Adriano-Falcioni/dp/B00G76CXQU/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Consolatio, cantatas BWV 22, 127 & 75 of J.S. Bach (1685-1750), Ricercar Consort, Philippe Pierlot (label: Mirare).
https://www.amazon.com/Bach-Consolatio-Ricercar-Consort/dp/B0789TBXFS/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Oops... forgot this one, a tasty compilation boxset (3 hybrid sa-cd's and a DVD), which was budget-priced this autumn in the Netherlands.
Let's call it an honourable mention then.
:)

Dinastia Borgia, various composers, Jordi Savall et all (label: AliaVox).

https://www.amazon.com/Dinastia-Borgia-VARIOUS-ARTISTS/dp/B0041ENV7U/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Que

Champagne chilled? Dinner preparations done?  ::)

Still some time to kill before the arrival of New Year?

Don't forget to post your favourite purchases of 2018!

But of course there will plenty of time for that as well in the early weeks of the new year.  :)

Q

kyjo

Quote from: Christo on December 20, 2018, 10:42:53 AM
Hi, KyJo knows him better - I followed his tip and found this CD with the [Second] Symphony in C, Op. 31 as well as all the other pieces very rewarding. The style of the symphony: I'ld say post-Brahmsian in a manner not unlike Franz Schmidt, but much more lyrical alternated with a Brucknerian grandeur; perhaps more akin to Freitas Branco 2 & 3 but again: more spirited. In a blind listening test (great idea BTW :D), few would guess Central Europe; rather Scandinavia, perhaps France. The middle symphonies by Erkki Melartin may make a good comparison. Hope Kyle will serve you better.  ;D

Your description of Andreae's style is spot-on as far as I'm concerned! I'd add that there's perhaps a touch of Zemlinskian expressionism in the darker sections. Also, I'd say his earlier works are more along the Brahms/Dvorak/Grieg axis, and none the worse for that. All in all, a composer well worth exploring - the Guild series is fantastic.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on December 04, 2018, 11:13:21 PM
I should have included this - a fabulous disc:
[asin]B07HGBM68Z[/asin]

Fabulous, eh? You like this particular performance of Symphony No. 3 more than Slatkin/Detroit or Bernstein/NYPO on DG?

Mirror Image

I suppose it's time to assimilate my own list, I'll limit it to 12 purchases (in no particular order):