Your Favorite Composer, Ever, Period!

Started by Florestan, December 19, 2018, 12:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Brahmsian

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

André

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 21, 2018, 08:42:37 AM
This was a shock to me.  I thought it would be 100% Bruckner.

That was my opinion on December 21, 2018 at 11:21:19 am.  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: André on December 21, 2018, 10:28:02 AM
That was my opinion on December 21, 2018 at 11:21:19 am.  ;)

Yeah but five minutes after that you were on your way to the desert island, complete works of Verdi as luggage. I said it clearly: no second thoughts, no alternate choices --- one and only one. So you're stuck with Verdi for life, I'm afraid, your opinion on December 27, 2018 at 13:45:09 notwithstanding.  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on December 21, 2018, 11:06:31 AM
Yeah but five minutes after that you were on your way to the desert island, complete works of Verdi as luggage. I said it clearly: no second thoughts, no alternate choices --- one and only one. So you're stuck with Verdi for life, I'm afraid

Inhuman.

André

schnittkease

DaveF

"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on December 22, 2018, 07:16:40 AM
So they Tallis.

Excellent one.  8)

This thread is silly, but I started it in reaction to such threads as "Your Top X Composers / Symphonies / Concertos / Trombone Sextets / Whatnot" where X is any number between 3 and 25. Actually I fully subscribe to Bartok's dictum that competitions are for horses, not for artists. If I were deported to a desert island, I'd take with me my whole musical and literary library. :laugh:
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Todd

Beethoven.  Less than a second to decide.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

some guy

No one.

I'm assuming I go there with my memory intact.

Gorio1968

kyjo

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

André

We all have our little secrets. But don't worry. I have a B list and even a C list.  ;D

Ken B

Quote from: André on December 28, 2018, 11:53:08 AM
We all have our little secrets. But don't worry. I have a B list and even a C list.  ;D
If Andrei allows you a B island or a C island you'll be fine.

springrite

Quote from: André on December 21, 2018, 07:21:19 AM
Verdi

Joe Green should be the name of a football great, NOT of a composer  :P
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

kyjo

Quote from: André on December 28, 2018, 11:53:08 AM

Don't we all! ;D In all seriousness, I should give ol' Giuseppe another chance. I actually do really like his epic Te deum from the Quattro pezzi sacri, which I've had the opportunity to perform. I should try to get into his operas, but I must say we listened to a bit of Aida in my music history class at one point and I was soon searching for the nearest emergency exit!  ::) ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

Quote from: Florestan on December 21, 2018, 02:54:53 AM
I hesitated between Schubert and Mozart but eventually the operas, the concertos and the violin sonatas made the difference.

Yeah, if only Schubert had composed some concerti...