Your Favorite Composer, Ever, Period!

Started by Florestan, December 19, 2018, 12:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

shirime

Boulez. It took me longer to scroll down to Quick Reply than it took to decide!

Biffo

NikF

Brahms is the first name that comes to mind. But I don't know for sure. And while I always find if interesting to learn the opinion and taste(s) of informed individuals distilled down to favourite/top ten/desert island kinds of lists, I'm not sure if my own favours are so faithful. I mean, Shostakovich (in Russia, travel midwinter bundled in hats and scarves  via a trolley bus to an almost austerity hallmarked concert hall and hear the Shosty 10) busts my chops with both the honesty and absurdity of the human condition. Meanwhile, Debussy does a fine job of reminding me how unequipped I am to understand music beyond  the facile.

tl;dr: probably Brahms.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Papy Oli

Olivier

Maestro267

First 10 favourite composers, then 25, now just 1? OK then.

My desert-island composer is Tchaikovsky.

Maybe we can come to some sort of consensus between the three threads...

Ken B

Quote from: shirime on December 20, 2018, 01:19:08 AM
Boulez. It took me longer to scroll down to Quick Reply than it took to decide!
Yeah, I think for most of us it takes nanoseconds. Picking a second choice might be hard though!

kyjo

If I had a gun pointed to my head, then Sibelius I suppose.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

San Antone

Quote from: Ken B on December 20, 2018, 06:52:25 AM
Yeah, I think for most of us it takes nanoseconds. Picking a second choice might be hard though!

For me it was a toss up between Debussy and Brahms.  I chose Debussy, but Brahms is a close second and they alternate on a regular basis.

flyingdutchman

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Beethoven,

I'd regret Brahms, Mozart, Bach, Sibelius, Mahler, Debussy, Stravinsky

TheGSMoeller

Brahmsian

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

shirime

Quote from: Ken B on December 20, 2018, 06:52:25 AM
Not at all. It's Wagner.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 20, 2018, 10:44:09 AM
That was one of my guesses.  My other guess was Glass.

Glass is so close! Top 3 for sure, maybe even top 2 if I'm listening to Songs from Liquid Days!

GioCar

amw

Schubert would be my first pick but I'd miss Beethoven.

Florestan

Quote from: amw on December 20, 2018, 08:34:23 PM
Schubert would be my first pick but I'd miss Beethoven.

I hesitated between Schubert and Mozart but eventually the operas, the concertos and the violin sonatas made the difference.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy