The Music Room > The Jazz Lounge

Jazz, c. 1950-1970: Recommendations (and jazz in general)

(1/69) > >>

Heather Harrison:
My collection of recordings includes a substantial quantity of jazz and its predecessors (i.e. ragtime), dating from about 1890-1950.  For some reason, I have never expanded much beyond 1950.  A few recent acquisitions have greatly increased my interest in post-1950 jazz and I am now actively acquiring CDs.  To make things easier, I'm focusing on the 1950-1970 period right now (but I'm not averse to considering something outside of that timeframe).

Since there seem to be a few jazz fans here, I'll pose this question to you:  What recordings would you consider essential (or at least among the best) from this period?  I'm posing this question here because I would guess that classical music fans who are also drawn to jazz might have similar taste to mine.  (If this really turns into an obsession, I'll likely check out a jazz forum.)

I have acquired a few recordings by Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Dave Brubeck, Mel Torme, Anita O'Day, and Ella Fitzgerald (including collaborations with Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington).  Of course, I want more, and I would really like to eventually have a good comprehensive sampling of the different styles of jazz popular during this time.  (Then, I'll likely move into the post-1970 era.)

Heather

Scriptavolant:

--- Quote from: Heather Harrison on August 23, 2007, 06:02:50 PM ---What recordings would you consider essential (or at least among the best) from this period?
--- End quote ---

First that pop into my mind are John Coltrane's "A love supreme", Bill Evans's, "Conversations with myself", and Erroll Garner's "Concert by the sea". These are quite popular too, and there's a lot more.

dtwilbanks:
See the sidebar at this site for some good lists...

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/jazz100/jazzlinks.html

Robert:

--- Quote from: dtwilbanks on August 24, 2007, 04:13:41 AM ---See the sidebar at this site for some good lists...

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/jazz100/jazzlinks.html

--- End quote ---
I don't believe she wants lists. I think she wants recommendations from forum members.

dtwilbanks:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version