Jazz, c. 1950-1970: Recommendations (and jazz in general)

Started by Heather Harrison, August 23, 2007, 07:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert

Quote from: Grazioso on August 26, 2007, 04:27:13 AM
The same should apply to

A few of the best:

An absolutely smokin' live set from the Messengers' triumphant 1958 European tour, featuring the same band as Moanin'. Available in a variety of different releases--make sure to get a full two-disc version. There are many other wonderful live Messengers discs from Europe around that time.

Blakey and friends just before the official Messengers bands got started. Unforgettable live sessions featuring the late, much-lamented Clifford Brown, one of jazz's greatest, most influential trumpeters, who died very young in a car accident.

From the somewhat under-appreciated and under-documented Griffin/Hardman Messengers line-up. Instantly memorable tunes played with fire.

It's true that the Messenger's sessions could be formulaic, but what a great formula! And of course, next to Miles Davis, Blakey was known as jazz's premier talent scout, surrounding himself with incomparable sidemen like Wayne Shorter and Lee Morgan over the years. It's hard to go wrong with any of his work, afaik. (I've probably heard about 30 Blakey leader discs so far.)
Graz
That Ornette Change was one of his best...also that line-up on the Blakey live two fer was probably one of his best groups ever....boy did he know talent.....

Heather Harrison

I just listened to the first CD of this one.

Charles Mingus - Passions of a Man:  The Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956-1961.  This is a well-packaged set with a good-sized booklet of notes.  The booklet that the CDs are in looks a lot like a miniaturized version of a 78 album.  It includes all the tracks from his LPs, some alternate takes, and some tracks on which he performed as a side man with Teddy Charles.  Everything is in chronological order, and not in the original order of the LPs.  There is also a CD of an interview with Charles Mingus and Nesuhi Ertegun.

The first CD includes the album "Pithecanthropus Erectus" and the four tracks with Teddy Charles.  "Pithecanthropus Erectus" is a very good, innovative album.  There are some great solos, interesting rhythmic complexity, and some humor (car horn effects in "A Foggy Day").  The tracks with Teddy Charles are more straightforward and accessible, with some very good vibraharp solos by Charles.

I'll post more about this set as I listen to the rest of it.

I'm glad to see that the recommendations are still coming.  There will be plenty for me to check out when I decide to go on another shopping spree.

Heather

toledobass

It's also great to read your first impressions of these classics.  Keep those coming as well!!!!!

Allan

bhodges

I'm very much enjoying this thread, too.  My 1950-70 collection could use a little shoring up, and I'm getting some great ideas.  Also wondering if the designs of some of these great covers could spill over into classical recordings (per the thread elsewhere). 

--Bruce

Daverz

Some recent good albums I got on Lp, but which should be readily available on CD:

I like this one more than the more famous Art Pepper meets the Rhythm Section.

Mingus himself thought this was his best album.

Heather Harrison

Here are the latest.

Charles Mingus - Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956-1961 CD 2.  This CD includes all of the music from the sessions for the album "The Clown".  All of the tracks from that LP are included, as well as two that were not included on that one, but were later released on a compilation entitled "Tonight at Noon".  This continues with the innovative spirit of "Pithecanthropus Erectus" and is fascinating and entertaining.  The improvised narration in "The Clown" is an interesting addition; a fun story runs along with the music.

Abbey Lincoln - Abbey Is Blue.  This is a very good CD.  Lincoln has a great voice, and her interpretations are fresh and interesting.  "Afro-Blue", the opening track, is rhythmically interesting.  Her interpretation of the old standard "Laugh, Clown, Laugh" (which I have heard in a few corny 1920's recordings) brings an emotional vitality to this song, which by the 1950's was rather tired and old (and had been lampooned in many a cartoon).

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder.  This CD is entertaining and full of life, and there isn't a dull moment.

Heather

bhodges

Heather, thanks for mentioning Abbey Lincoln - like her a lot, and haven't thought about her in awhile.  I haven't heard that recording, which looks wonderful.

--Bruce

longears

Scanning the foregoing I see many greats but suggest you not overlook Getz/Gilberto.

Bogey

Quote from: longears on August 26, 2007, 01:19:49 PM
Scanning the foregoing I see many greats but suggest you not overlook Getz/Gilberto.

Great call.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

beclemund

I got to this set in my pile earlier this morning:

Though prices on Amazon seem to be pretty high, it is worth every penny.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Bogey

Quote from: beclemund on August 26, 2007, 01:51:22 PM
I got to this set in my pile earlier this morning:

Though prices on Amazon seem to be pretty high, it is worth every penny.

I have the Stitt stuff from that set....for a while it was OOP.  Is it available agin?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Daverz

Forgot this one from 1973:

Basie would have been nearly 70.

Heather Harrison

One more...

Charles Mingus - Complete Atlantic Recordings 1956-1961, CD No. 3.  This is all of the music from the album "Blues & Roots", along with some alternate takes.  The music here looks back to the blues and, to a lesser extent, swing.  Much of it is set to a blues rhythm.  However, it is also up-to-date for the time, with a good many wild and interesting solo improvisations.  It is very accessible and fun to listen to.

Heather

beclemund

Quote from: Bogey on August 26, 2007, 01:54:27 PMI have the Stitt stuff from that set....for a while it was OOP.  Is it available agin?

Judging by the prices, I do not believe it is.
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Robert

Quote from: Daverz on August 26, 2007, 12:57:37 PM
Some recent good albums I got on Lp, but which should be readily available on CD:

I like this one more than the more famous Art Pepper meets the Rhythm Section.

Mingus himself thought this was his best album.

I have all these on lp's. You cannot go wrong with any of them.....They are classics for sure...

Shrunk

Since you "got" Ornette's Free Jazz first time thru, I think you can dive into almost any jazz without fear.

You've received a lot of great recommendations.  Here's a few people who don't seem to have come up yet, although some of these might take you beyond the 1970 cutoff.

Cecil Taylor

Along with Ornette Coleman, one of the two founding fathers of free jazz.  His music is somewhat more abstract, atonal, and less obviously tied to the jazz tradition than Ornette's.  He's also one of the greatest piano virtuosos jazz has ever produced.  His debut disc Jazz Advance might be the most accessible entree into his music.  My favourite record is probably Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come
(though poor sound and a terrible piano).  Also not to miss are Unit Structures, Conquistador and the solo album Silent Tongues

Albert Ayler

Probably the most intense and visceral of the early avant-gardists. The trio album Spritual Unity is essential.

Anthony Braxton

A cerebral, intellectual player influenced by John Cage and Karlheinz Stockhausen, still one of the most vital and influential players on the scene.  Almost frustratingly prolific with a huge discography, but highlights include the pioneering solo sax recording For Alto, the big band Creative Orchestra Music 1976, and a series of recordings by an outstanding quartet featuring pianist Marilyn Crispell e.g. Quartet (Coventry) 1985 (Leo LR 204/205)

Steve Lacy

For a while in the 1970's and 80's it seemed that Lacy and Braxton had a competition to see who could put out the most recordings.  Lacy was one of the few musicians to focus exclusively on the soprano sax.  Although sharing the intellectual and philosophical proclivities of Braxton (as well as his fondness for solo performance), Lacy's music can also have a warmer, almost romantic aspect.  An early champion of the music of Thelonious Monk.  Some of his better known recordings are Reflection, The Straight Horn of Steve Lacy, Momentum, and Morning Joy.

I would also be remiss without mentioning possibly my favourite post 1970 jazz LP,

David Holland Quartet: Conference of the Birds

Heather Harrison

Quote from: Shrunk on August 26, 2007, 05:02:55 PM
Since you "got" Ornette's Free Jazz first time thru, I think you can dive into almost any jazz without fear.

You've received a lot of great recommendations.  Here's a few people who don't seem to have come up yet, although some of these might take you beyond the 1970 cutoff.

Thanks.  The 1970 cutoff is a somewhat arbitrary date which I chose to make the project a bit more manageable.  Of course, I have already violated it with Herbie Hancock's "Head Hunters", and I'll get into other stuff if it looks interesting.  I'm sure I will go full steam into the post-1970 period after I get to know the 1950-1970 period better.  I will also still expand my collection of the pre-1950 period even though it is already reasonably comprehensive.

Those that you posted look interesting.  Ornette Coleman has certainly made me interested in the more experimental side of jazz, so I will want to check out more.

Heather

Robert

Quote from: Shrunk on August 26, 2007, 05:02:55 PM

You've received a lot of great recommendations.  Here's a few people who don't seem to have come up yet, although some of these might take you beyond the 1970 cutoff.

Cecil Taylor

Along with Ornette Coleman, one of the two founding fathers of free jazz.  His music is somewhat more abstract, atonal, and less obviously tied to the jazz tradition than Ornette's.  He's also one of the greatest piano virtuosos jazz has ever produced.  His debut disc Jazz Advance might be the most accessible entree into his music.  My favourite record is probably Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come
(though poor sound and a terrible piano).  Also not to miss are Unit Structures, Conquistador and the solo album Silent Tongues

Albert Ayler

Probably the most intense and visceral of the early avant-gardists. The trio album Spritual Unity is essential.

Anthony Braxton

A cerebral, intellectual player influenced by John Cage and Karlheinz Stockhausen, still one of the most vital and influential players on the scene.  Almost frustratingly prolific with a huge discography, but highlights include the pioneering solo sax recording For Alto, the big band Creative Orchestra Music 1976, and a series of recordings by an outstanding quartet featuring pianist Marilyn Crispell e.g. Quartet (Coventry) 1985 (Leo LR 204/205)

Steve Lacy

For a while in the 1970's and 80's it seemed that Lacy and Braxton had a competition to see who could put out the most recordings.  Lacy was one of the few musicians to focus exclusively on the soprano sax.  Although sharing the intellectual and philosophical proclivities of Braxton (as well as his fondness for solo performance), Lacy's music can also have a warmer, almost romantic aspect.  An early champion of the music of Thelonious Monk.  Some of his better known recordings are Reflection, The Straight Horn of Steve Lacy, Momentum, and Morning Joy.

I would also be remiss without mentioning possibly my favourite post 1970 jazz LP,

David Holland Quartet: Conference of the Birds
whoa slow down.  Your on the roof.  That Dave Holland album is killer....

Grazioso

Quote from: Heather Harrison on August 26, 2007, 01:11:58 PM

Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder.  This CD is entertaining and full of life, and there isn't a dull moment.

Heather

Morgan's solo Blue Note output tends to be formulaic (thanks in part to the crossover success of The Sidewinder) but one disc that very successfully breaks or stretches the mold--while still offering Morgan's expected fiery blowing--is Search for the New Land

There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact. --Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

Shrunk

Quote from: Grazioso on August 27, 2007, 02:34:24 AM
Morgan's solo Blue Note output tends to be formulaic (thanks in part to the crossover success of The Sidewinder) but one disc that very successfully breaks or stretches the mold--while still offering Morgan's expected fiery blowing--is

Yeah, that one's a must have, too.  In some of Morgan's later sessions with Art Blakey, he seems to be struggling with Wayne Shorter's more experimental compositions.  This LP shows the results of his efforts to come to terms with this new harmonic language.