Solomon Cutner plays LvB's "Appassionata" Sonata

Started by aquablob, August 23, 2007, 08:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XB-70 Valkyrie

Thank you very much. I saw this on youtube recently, and while it is not my favorite Beethoven sonata, any video of Solomon is a rare treat. I think he ranks with Richter and Michelangeli as one of the very greatest of recorded pianists of the 20th century.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Holden

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on September 07, 2007, 12:26:37 AM
Thank you very much. I saw this on youtube recently, and while it is not my favorite Beethoven sonata, any video of Solomon is a rare treat. I think he ranks with Richter and Michelangeli as one of the very greatest of recorded pianists of the 20th century.

This is the ONLY film of Solomon playing.
Cheers

Holden

aquablob

Quote from: XB-70 Valkyrie on September 07, 2007, 12:26:37 AM

You're welcome, and I agree with your sentiments regarding Solomon, Richter, and Michelangeli... I'd probably add Rubinstein, Gould, Gulda, Serkin, and Cziffra to the list. And Art Tatum!

B_cereus

Quote from: Holden on September 07, 2007, 11:51:04 PM
This is the ONLY film of Solomon playing.
Apologies for (sort of) correcting you.

Actually, to clarify, the Appassionata was not the only piece that Solomon recorded at that session for BBC television. He also filmed the Schubert A-flat impromptu (D899, no.4)

(reference: page 296, "Solo: The Biography of Solomon" - Bryan Crimp (formerly of EMI). Pub: APR 1994.)

And, in fact, Solomon's Schubert has been released on this DVD:
"Legendary British Performers", EMI Classics (2007)

http://www.emiclassics.com/classic_archive/releases/legendary_british_performers.html

Strictly speaking I suppose you are correct though :) Since the Beethoven App & the Schubert Imp were recorded at the same session and presumably the same roll of film. So is the only known film of Solomon playing. ;)