Album covers and their connection to the music

Started by Omicron9, September 05, 2018, 06:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 02, 2019, 06:09:33 AM
Yes, it is called 'Landscape' by Boris Scherbakov.

I was surprised to discover that most paintings by Boris Scherbakov feature tranquil scenes of the Russian countryside. This one, with the title "The Evil of the World: The 20th Century" carries a political message.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 03, 2019, 12:07:29 AM
I was surprised to discover that most paintings by Boris Scherbakov feature tranquil scenes of the Russian countryside. This one, with the title "The Evil of the World: The 20th Century" carries a political message.

How interesting and many thanks for posting 'The Evil of the World' which I really like (if that's the right word). Anyway it is powerful, dark and moving. The old woman on the left is reminiscent of the man in the image I posted earlier. I must look him up.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Here's one I really like where landscape and music seem to merge together as the area meant a lot to Moeran:

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on January 13, 2019, 10:46:44 AM
Here's one I really like where landscape and music seem to merge together as the area meant a lot to Moeran:

Lovely countryside. Where is it?

One of my favourite covers is also Moeran which features  him with his wife Peers Coetmore. Unfortunately the location of the photo is not given. In my view no performance of the Cello Concerto can measure up to this one. Not because of the playing as Coetmore was elderly and her technique left some to be desired. Moeran wrote the Adagio in the form of a love letter to his wife and despite all the pain and difficulties of their short marriage to hear Coetmore playing this music with such feeling of sadness and loss cracks me up. 

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 14, 2019, 12:09:16 AM

One of my favourite covers is also Moeran which features  him with his wife Peers Coetmore. Unfortunately the location of the photo is not given. In my view no performance of the Cello Concerto can measure up to this one. Not because of the playing as Coetmore was elderly and her technique left some to be desired. Moeran wrote the Adagio in the form of a love letter to his wife and despite all the pain and difficulties of their short marriage to hear Coetmore playing this music with such feeling of sadness and loss cracks me up. 

LP photo Ring of Kerry, Ireland. There's a photo of Moeran and Peers in the Welsh borders which could have been taken at the same location as the Lyrita Cello Concerto cover image. You are right - no other recording comes close in emotional clout as the Coetmore/Boult one despite the imperfection of some of her playing. It is in a class of its own.

Irons

Thanks. Looks a good summer break destination. Shame Ken Russell isn't still with us; the life of Moeran would make a super doc-film.

Omicron9

Listening to this performance now on YT.   Thank you for posting this.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Roasted Swan

Geoffrey Self in his brief book about his friendship with Moeran reproduces this picture and titles it as being "in the Malvern Hills"

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 15, 2019, 07:53:01 AM
Geoffrey Self in his brief book about his friendship with Moeran reproduces this picture and titles it as being "in the Malvern Hills"
Yes, it occurred to me that the photo might have appeared in that book.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on January 15, 2019, 12:13:50 AM
Thanks. Looks a good summer break destination. Shame Ken Russell isn't still with us; the life of Moeran would make a super doc-film.
Yes, he would!

André

Quote from: Irons on January 15, 2019, 12:13:50 AM

We have his Delius film to fall back on - love that one.

Irons

Quote from: Roasted Swan on January 15, 2019, 07:53:01 AM

Thanks.