Rate My Mozart Piano Sonata K533 Playing - where can I improve?

Started by OscoBosco, December 29, 2018, 04:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lisa needs braces

The users at reddit.com/r/piano are more quick with their responses. I'm not sure how many of our members here are pianists...

(poco) Sforzando

Before I listen and answer, may I suggest you consolidate all your posts into one OscoBosco thread? This is what most people do here, and will make everything more economical and easy to follow.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Holden

More clarity with articulation. Maybe less pedal would achieve this for you. I say this because it sounded like your playing was a bit blurry and I found it hard to hear how you were phrasing the music.
Cheers

Holden

zamyrabyrd

Hi there, you are very brave!

Some think that Mozart was influenced by JS Bach at this time but I see a lot of Haydn in this sonata.

The use of dynamics would certainly help show the structure better. Upon first listening without the score, I found it very diffuse. The opening theme is actually marked piano, plenty of contrast between P and F later when the triplet figures appear with almost Beethoven-like off-beat Sforzandi, that didn't get the attention it should have because everything else was loud.

I suppose the tempo should be as fast but still I wonder about all the different changes in harmony particularly in the recapitulation. If the articulation is crisp and clear with dynamics strictly observed, a structure will emerge. I am very conerned about structure in such music and always ask the question, "Where are we going?"

Oh, and another thing about triplets, I like to at least practice the two last notes of three to lead to the next beat, in other words, cross over the triplet bar. Doing so avoids a mechanical approach.

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds