Tennis anyone?

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, January 05, 2019, 05:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 05, 2024, 11:10:51 AMPleased to see that Emma Raducanu has, I think, settled on one coach for some time.  In any event, it's good to see her playing so well...particularly after three surgeries (two wrists and one ankle).

PD

I'm not a tennis buff, and know nothing of the technicalities of the game, but I watched her three matches so far and very much enjoyed them. She's tremendously entertaining to watch, and her tennis strikes me as being remarkably ... what would the word be? Graceful? Beautiful? Neither word is quite right. It's as if she were born to play the game. John Ruskin would call it 'felicitous fulfilment of purpose'.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on July 05, 2024, 11:07:12 PMI'm not a tennis buff, and know nothing of the technicalities of the game, but I watched her three matches so far and very much enjoyed them. She's tremendously entertaining to watch, and her tennis strikes me as being remarkably ... what would the word be? Graceful? Beautiful? Neither word is quite right. It's as if she were born to play the game. John Ruskin would call it 'felicitous fulfilment of purpose'.

I just checked the order of play and the draw for the mixed doubles.  Alas, I no longer saw Andy and Emma's names in the draw and figured that Andy had decided to pull out due to not feeling physically up to it.  I then checked the news area on Wimbledon's website.  It turns out that it was Emma who decided to withdraw; she's feeling some discomfort in her right wrist and wants to rest it before her singles match on Sunday.

PD

p.s.  There's currently a good battle going on in the third set between Zverev and Norrie.
Pohjolas Daughter

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 06, 2024, 07:06:49 AMI just checked the order of play and the draw for the mixed doubles.  Alas, I no longer saw Andy and Emma's names in the draw and figured that Andy had decided to pull out due to not feeling physically up to it.  I then checked the news area on Wimbledon's website.  It turns out that it was Emma who decided to withdraw; she's feeling some discomfort in her right wrist and wants to rest it before her singles match on Sunday.

Just minutes ago I too discovered this information. Great shame, but I presume it's sensible: I'd hate her to have to pull out of the singles competition because she'd bashed it around in the doubles.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on July 06, 2024, 07:49:10 AMJust minutes ago I too discovered this information. Great shame, but I presume it's sensible: I'd hate her to have to pull out of the singles competition because she'd bashed it around in the doubles.
She apparently was still out practicing today; wonder how she felt afterwards?

I caught the tiebreak between Norrie and Zverev (third set and Zverev had won the first two sets).  Very exciting!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

#244
I didn't catch this live but in replay.  From the commentators' perspective, they (the players) believed that due to the cheers from the crowd, England had beaten Switzerland in the Euros [happened in penalty kicks] and  Novak ended up kicking a tennis ball over the net to his opponent (like as in a penalty kick) with his opponent, Popyrin imitating a goalie.  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/watch-novak-djokovic-hilariously-mimes-penalty-kick-as-his-wimbledon-3r-clash-interrupted-by-englands-euro-2024-qf-win-making-centre-court-erupt/ar-BB1pxslf

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Elgarian Redux

I have to confess that I'm a seriously rubbish tennis fan. No, worse than that - I'm not really a tennis fan at all, though I have often enjoyed watching occasional matches. But there's something about Raducanu that makes me want to watch her play (and win, preferably). So I hope to watch this afternoon, probably while pedalling my exercise bike.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on July 07, 2024, 12:15:19 AMI have to confess that I'm a seriously rubbish tennis fan. No, worse than that - I'm not really a tennis fan at all, though I have often enjoyed watching occasional matches. But there's something about Raducanu that makes me want to watch her play (and win, preferably). So I hope to watch this afternoon, probably while pedalling my exercise bike.
It sounds like you watch as much tennis as I do football!  :)  ;) I think that I might be able to watch the Raducanu match (which should be starting soon...She just walked onto the court).

PD

p.s.  I should get an exercise bike!
Pohjolas Daughter

Elgarian Redux

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 07, 2024, 07:56:10 AMIt sounds like you watch as much tennis as I do football!  :)  ;) I think that I might be able to watch the Raducanu match (which should be starting soon...She just walked onto the court).

PD

p.s.  I should get an exercise bike!

1. I never watch any football. 50 years ago I was once given a ticket to watch a football match for free, and I went with not an open mind exactly, but a mind at least slightly ajar. But I just didn't get what the fuss was all about, and left before half time.

2. I know nothing of course, but it seemed to me that Emma Raducanu was comprehensivly outplayed by Lulu Sun, who clearly deserved to win. So that's Wimbledon over, for me, for another year.

3. Yes, I heartily recommend getting an exercise bike (as long as you don't hope actually to get anywhere of course).

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 07, 2024, 07:56:10 AMIt sounds like you watch as much tennis as I do football!  :)  ;) I think that I might be able to watch the Raducanu match (which should be starting soon...She just walked onto the court).

PD

p.s.  I should get an exercise bike!

Mixed emotions watching the match. Felt sorry for Raducanu as the New Zealand girl was so obviously the better player on the day. On the other hand many sportsman play through pain and do not make a fuss like she does. I'm aware she has had surgery on both wrists and an ankle but now her back seems problematic. The fall did look jarring but seeing her flat on her back receiving physio on court for both knee and back and then carry on playing was a bit bizarre.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Elgarian Redux on July 07, 2024, 11:13:58 AM1. I never watch any football. 50 years ago I was once given a ticket to watch a football match for free, and I went with not an open mind exactly, but a mind at least slightly ajar. But I just didn't get what the fuss was all about, and left before half time.

2. I know nothing of course, but it seemed to me that Emma Raducanu was comprehensivly outplayed by Lulu Sun, who clearly deserved to win. So that's Wimbledon over, for me, for another year.

3. Yes, I heartily recommend getting an exercise bike (as long as you don't hope actually to get anywhere of course).
Quote from: Irons on July 08, 2024, 07:53:28 AMMixed emotions watching the match. Felt sorry for Raducanu as the New Zealand girl was so obviously the better player on the day. On the other hand many sportsman play through pain and do not make a fuss like she does. I'm aware she has had surgery on both wrists and an ankle but now her back seems problematic. The fall did look jarring but seeing her flat on her back receiving physio on court for both knee and back and then carry on playing was a bit bizarre.

It's not uncommon for tennis players to get *on-court treatment.  Grass courts are also notoriously slippery particularly in the early days of a tournament and also in the evening when temps have dropped...a bit of rain too.  The baseline area gets worn down quickly but areas like near the net less so, so more likely to slip/fall/over-extend.  I imagine that it would also be jarring/unsettling to have ones legs suddenly slip out from under you.  Remember too that tennis is an **individual sport (o.k. not doubles).  Iga Swiatek (the No. 1 ranked women's tennis player) has won five grand slams:  four of those were Roland Garros (clay court) plus other events.  She hasn't made it past the quarter finals at Wimbledon.  She was beaten in the third round this year.  Everyone has their favorite surfaces.  The best of them figure out how to adapt.  Easier said than done.

**Yes, they do have their teams (which I believe they do cherish and realize that it's a team effort); in the end though, they are on the courts by themselves (coaching, with certain rules) is allowed now officially.

*If it's in certain areas, in the interests of privacy, the players will get off-court treatments.

And, yes, I was very impressed by the playing of Lulu Sun.  She was able to dictate play.  She has a lot to be proud of.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Iota

That Alcaraz is a phenomenon! Strolling around the court like a jaguar, and striking with ferocity of one when needed. Poor Tommy Paul was playing brilliantly but seeming to get nowhere up against such extraordinary opposition. Breathtaking last few games which I watched.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Iota on July 10, 2024, 01:26:14 AMThat Alcaraz is a phenomenon! Strolling around the court like a jaguar, and striking with ferocity of one when needed. Poor Tommy Paul was playing brilliantly but seeming to get nowhere up against such extraordinary opposition. Breathtaking last few games which I watched.
Yes, I love watching Carlitos!  Extremely talented, but also a great attitude and work ethic and comes across as a very likeable young man.   :)

Oh, no!  I just read that Alex de Minaur withdrew from his match against Novak Djokovic.  From the ATP website:  "I'm devastated, but I had to pull out due to a hip injury, a little tear of the fiber cartilage that is at the end to the adductor," De Minaur said. "I felt a loud crack during the last three points of my match against Fils and got a scan yesterday and it confirms that this was the injury. [There is] a high risk of making it worse if I was to step on court."  I was looking forward to watching that match.

Taylor Fritz:  the last American male left standing....

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

Alcaraz vs. Djokovic?

Yes, please, as long as the kid wins... preferably hugely.  >:D
Mit Fl├╝geln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

#253
@LKB Alcaraz vs. Medvedev starting at 8:30 (East coast time) a.m. (like now)!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter