Tennis anyone?

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, January 05, 2019, 05:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Impressive start by Murray:  6-2 vs. Tsitsipas in first set (out of best of five).  The veteran is showing his skills, knowledge, and experience--and after two hip replacement surgeries...amazing.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Thrilling match between Murray and Tsitsipas which went to five sets.  Did anyone else here catch it?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on August 31, 2021, 06:05:29 AM
Thrilling match between Murray and Tsitsipas which went to five sets.  Did anyone else here catch it?

PD

PD, I would be interested to hear your view on the "toilet break" row. Not just tennis but all sport, are manoeuvres like this fair game or cheating?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 01, 2021, 07:48:51 AM
PD, I would be interested to hear your view on the "toilet break" row. Not just tennis but all sport, are manoeuvres like this fair game or cheating?
Hi Irons,

Well, you asked for my totally inexpert opinions and knowledge of the rules, but I'll try!

This can give you some kind of idea as to the mixed views of the rules in tennis:  https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/bathroom-stall-tennis-toilet-break-talk-swirls-flush-79754222

Another article to give you some more food for thought:  https://africa.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/32120951/alexander-zverev-shares-frustration-fellow-tennis-star-stefano-tsitsipas-long-bathroom-breaks

Tuesday during pre-slam tennis commentary, the commentators (some of whom had been professional tennis players including grand slam champions) threw out this question to Dominic Thiem (a contemporary player in his early 20's who can't play at the US Open this year due to a wrist injury.  He's actually the defending champion as he won it last).  They all talked about it.  The general consensus was that 5 minutes would be a reasonable amount of time to change clothing and use the toilet if needed.  Mind you, from what I understand, the outer courts can be much further away from facilities....so, how do you figure out the time there?  Maybe once from when you arrive at the facilities?  Or allow a couple more minutes?

In any event, Murray (who I believe is currently on the players' council) said that they've been arguing about this for years.  My understanding is that according to the tennis rules they stipulate that a reasonable amount of time is allowed.  Player cannot receive any coaching during the break.  Men are given two breaks (since they play best 3/5 sets) and women get 1.  Players do get really "soggy" (particularly at the US Open which is normally very hot and very humid) and they do hydrate a lot.  The rules though as far as I understand it as to when they can take their breaks aren't the strictest....which I think is also a big part of the question.  Some players have been accused of deliberately taking their breaks right when their opponent is on a roll which then messes with the opponent's mindset and body.  And in these days of cell phones, how do you know if they aren't quietly texting their coach whilst they are changing too?

It does appear to me that it is often used as a way to find out a way to compose yourself and regroup--and often at the expense of your opponent and that they do need to get stricter with the time rules and also as to when you can take those breaks.  Perhaps also require the players to either check-in their cell phones and smart watches before the matches?  There have been gripes from some players too re medical timeouts being used to also buy some time, etc., but that's a much harder issue to debate (like how do you know how much pain someone is really experiencing?).

Thoughts from you Irons?

EDIT:  Checking a bit further into it, my initial thoughts that they were only allowed (at least at slams) to take bathroom breaks is after a set, which I believe is correct.  I had read another article which threw me whilst looking into this a bit further.  See page 20 & 21 here.  This is from the 2020 ITF rules book (the ITF deals with the slams).  https://www.itftennis.com/media/2495/grand-slam-rulebook-2020-f.pdf  My understanding is that it can vary between different events depending upon which organization is in charge.  They really need to standardize things!  My opinion anyway.

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 01, 2021, 09:39:49 AM
Hi Irons,

Well, you asked for my totally inexpert opinions and knowledge of the rules, but I'll try!

This can give you some kind of idea as to the mixed views of the rules in tennis:  https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/bathroom-stall-tennis-toilet-break-talk-swirls-flush-79754222

Another article to give you some more food for thought:  https://africa.espn.com/tennis/story/_/id/32120951/alexander-zverev-shares-frustration-fellow-tennis-star-stefano-tsitsipas-long-bathroom-breaks

Tuesday during pre-slam tennis commentary, the commentators (some of whom had been professional tennis players including grand slam champions) threw out this question to Dominic Thiem (a contemporary player in his early 20's who can't play at the US Open this year due to a wrist injury.  He's actually the defending champion as he won it last).  They all talked about it.  The general consensus was that 5 minutes would be a reasonable amount of time to change clothing and use the toilet if needed.  Mind you, from what I understand, the outer courts can be much further away from facilities....so, how do you figure out the time there?  Maybe once from when you arrive at the facilities?  Or allow a couple more minutes?

In any event, Murray (who I believe is currently on the players' council) said that they've been arguing about this for years.  My understanding is that according to the tennis rules they stipulate that a reasonable amount of time is allowed.  Player cannot receive any coaching during the break.  Men are given two breaks (since they play best 3/5 sets) and women get 1.  Players do get really "soggy" (particularly at the US Open which is normally very hot and very humid) and they do hydrate a lot.  The rules though as far as I understand it as to when they can take their breaks aren't the strictest....which I think is also a big part of the question.  Some players have been accused of deliberately taking their breaks right when their opponent is on a roll which then messes with the opponent's mindset and body.  And in these days of cell phones, how do you know if they aren't quietly texting their coach whilst they are changing too?

It does appear to me that it is often used as a way to find out a way to compose yourself and regroup--and often at the expense of your opponent and that they do need to get stricter with the time rules and also as to when you can take those breaks.  Perhaps also require the players to either check-in their cell phones and smart watches before the matches?  There have been gripes from some players too re medical timeouts being used to also buy some time, etc., but that's a much harder issue to debate (like how do you know how much pain someone is really experiencing?).

Thoughts from you Irons?

EDIT:  Checking a bit further into it, my initial thoughts that they were only allowed (at least at slams) to take bathroom breaks is after a set, which I believe is correct.  I had read another article which threw me whilst looking into this a bit further.  See page 20 & 21 here.  This is from the 2020 ITF rules book (the ITF deals with the slams).  https://www.itftennis.com/media/2495/grand-slam-rulebook-2020-f.pdf  My understanding is that it can vary between different events depending upon which organization is in charge.  They really need to standardize things!  My opinion anyway.

PD

Looks pretty expert to me, PD. :) "Contacting the coach during the match" I had not thought of that.
You have summed it up perfectly. I know Murray was upset but he lost a long hard match so he would be anyway. Cynic I am, I have two thoughts. It is perfectly possible to follow the rules and cheat at the same time. If Tsitsipas didn't take a leak then that is abusing the rule book not following it - of course we will never know which.
Secondly, In my experience, I played a lot of Squash in my younger days, the last thing a body needs during strenuous exercise is the toilet!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 01, 2021, 11:33:40 PM
Looks pretty expert to me, PD. :) "Contacting the coach during the match" I had not thought of that.
You have summed it up perfectly. I know Murray was upset but he lost a long hard match so he would be anyway. Cynic I am, I have two thoughts. It is perfectly possible to follow the rules and cheat at the same time. If Tsitsipas didn't take a leak then that is abusing the rule book not following it - of course we will never know which.
Secondly, In my experience, I played a lot of Squash in my younger days, the last thing a body needs during strenuous exercise is the toilet!
Perhaps I'm not following you Irons?  The ITF (International Tennis Federation) states that "A player may request permission to leave the court for a reasonable time for a toilet break, a change of attire break, or both, but for no other reason."  Tsitsipas certainly did change at least some of his clothes (didn't study things that hard!) and wasn't in there for like 20 minutes (unlike some of the protestations), so as far as anyone knows, he didn't break any rules.  And, to be fair to him, he's not the only one who has used the available rules to possibly help him more than was intended to.  You should check out a couple of tweets by *Tracy Austin (see August 31st):  https://twitter.com/thetracyaustin  She has some great ideas!  :)

They can easily get really drenched playing on court.  Murray was having some problems because he had only brought one pair of sneakers and they got drenched.  He actually fell on court slipping on his own sweat!  That upset him too.  Not saying that you didn't work up a sweat playing squash.   ;)  I suspect that in your day, you probably also weren't drinking as much water and specialized sports drinks as they do these days?  I've seen players go through muscle cramping and it looks so incredibly painful.  My understanding is that it's a combo of fitness and being able to stay hydrated.  Some of the men's matches have gone for up to five hours!  That's a lot of constant running around and with very short breaks.

*What do you think of her suggestions?  :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 02, 2021, 02:45:43 AM
Perhaps I'm not following you Irons?  The ITF (International Tennis Federation) states that "A player may request permission to leave the court for a reasonable time for a toilet break, a change of attire break, or both, but for no other reason."  Tsitsipas certainly did change at least some of his clothes (didn't study things that hard!) and wasn't in there for like 20 minutes (unlike some of the protestations), so as far as anyone knows, he didn't break any rules.  And, to be fair to him, he's not the only one who has used the available rules to possibly help him more than was intended to.  You should check out a couple of tweets by *Tracy Austin (see August 31st):  https://twitter.com/thetracyaustin  She has some great ideas!  :)

They can easily get really drenched playing on court.  Murray was having some problems because he had only brought one pair of sneakers and they got drenched.  He actually fell on court slipping on his own sweat!  That upset him too.  Not saying that you didn't work up a sweat playing squash.   ;)  I suspect that in your day, you probably also weren't drinking as much water and specialized sports drinks as they do these days?  I've seen players go through muscle cramping and it looks so incredibly painful.  My understanding is that it's a combo of fitness and being able to stay hydrated.  Some of the men's matches have gone for up to five hours!  That's a lot of constant running around and with very short breaks.

*What do you think of her suggestions?  :)

PD

Your knowledge of the sport is much greater then mine, PD. As you well know I don't carry a torch for Andy Murray. But he has not struck me as the type who cries foul over the years when losing a match. I think maybe you are not following me as my point is not that the other guy is not following the rules, he plainly is. But is he bending the rules for his own advantage. Timing is all, is a change of shorts necessary or by interrupting the match is advantage gained? You watched the match, I didn't. What do you think?

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 02, 2021, 07:10:20 AM
Your knowledge of the sport is much greater then mine, PD. As you well know I don't carry a torch for Andy Murray. But he has not struck me as the type who cries foul over the years when losing a match. I think maybe you are not following me as my point is not that the other guy is not following the rules, he plainly is. But is he bending the rules for his own advantage. Timing is all, is a change of shorts necessary or by interrupting the match is advantage gained? You watched the match, I didn't. What do you think?
O.k., I thought that I was following you, but wasn't totally certain about what you had meant which is why I brought up the fact that one can leave the court for either a bathroom break or to change clothes or both.  And also that unlike Andy saying (to the effect) that he was gone for 20 minutes that it was much shorter amount of a time--though again, I still think too long of a time.  Yes, I do think that he (Tsitsipas) was taking advantage of the rules.  Did you read those two Twitter postings on Tracy Austin's Twitter account that I had provided a link to Irons?  Thought that her comments/suggestions were on the money.  Her first one on August 31, 2021:  "Solution for lengthy bathroom breaks needs to be addressed.1. Give sliding hard time limit depending on distance to bathroom. Main court-outside court? 2. Not back in time-point penalty or opponent gets to talk to coach in the overtime. That should curb excessive timeout."

Her second tweet in which she was replying to someone (see below):  "I dislike on-court coaching as has been documented.But threat of coaching might be only way to curb LONG,"change of momentum", "gather my thoughts"timeouts. Offending player might think twice going overtime.Bathroom,change of attire legal-it's repeat offenders who make it problem
Quote Tweet

Chris Gollop
@ChrisRGollop
· Aug 31
Replying to @thetracyaustin
Really interesting proposal, introducing the option of the waiting player on court being allowed to engage with their coach until the absent player returns. Still not ideal as don't like idea of on court coaching as such, but worth a discussion. 8 minutes?! Bad look for tennis.Slightly frowning face

As far as Tracy Austin goes (if her name isn't familiar to you), as she describes herself on Twitter:  "Former world #1, 2-time US Open Champion, Broadcaster, Proud mom of 3 boys.  Instagram: tracyaustin_"

Personally, I think that one of the biggest issues is that they need to come up with time limits and figure out ways of deterring people who are taking advantage of the rules...which, as Andy had mentioned in his post-match interview is something that they've been talking about for a long time.   ::)

So, wonder whether or not your Raducanu is still in the mix?  I believe so!  :)

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 02, 2021, 07:34:29 AM
O.k., I thought that I was following you, but wasn't totally certain about what you had meant which is why I brought up the fact that one can leave the court for either a bathroom break or to change clothes or both.  And also that unlike Andy saying (to the effect) that he was gone for 20 minutes that it was much shorter amount of a time--though again, I still think too long of a time.  Yes, I do think that he (Tsitsipas) was taking advantage of the rules.  Did you read those two Twitter postings on Tracy Austin's Twitter account that I had provided a link to Irons?  Thought that her comments/suggestions were on the money.  Her first one on August 31, 2021:  "Solution for lengthy bathroom breaks needs to be addressed.1. Give sliding hard time limit depending on distance to bathroom. Main court-outside court? 2. Not back in time-point penalty or opponent gets to talk to coach in the overtime. That should curb excessive timeout."

Her second tweet in which she was replying to someone (see below):  "I dislike on-court coaching as has been documented.But threat of coaching might be only way to curb LONG,"change of momentum", "gather my thoughts"timeouts. Offending player might think twice going overtime.Bathroom,change of attire legal-it's repeat offenders who make it problem
Quote Tweet

Chris Gollop
@ChrisRGollop
· Aug 31
Replying to @thetracyaustin
Really interesting proposal, introducing the option of the waiting player on court being allowed to engage with their coach until the absent player returns. Still not ideal as don't like idea of on court coaching as such, but worth a discussion. 8 minutes?! Bad look for tennis.Slightly frowning face

As far as Tracy Austin goes (if her name isn't familiar to you), as she describes herself on Twitter:  "Former world #1, 2-time US Open Champion, Broadcaster, Proud mom of 3 boys.  Instagram: tracyaustin_"

Personally, I think that one of the biggest issues is that they need to come up with time limits and figure out ways of deterring people who are taking advantage of the rules...which, as Andy had mentioned in his post-match interview is something that they've been talking about for a long time.   ::)

So, wonder whether or not your Raducanu is still in the mix?  I believe so!  :)

PD

I did not make myself clear, PD. My thinking on this is more on general terms not this particular tennis match. My question is was Murray's opponent following the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law. I think it was this that annoyed Murray so much. Looking from afar I get the impression there is a good level of sportsmanship in professional tennis. Perhaps in this case Tsitspas didn't show it.   

Happens in all sport. If a footballer is fouled in the penalty box, invariably if he stays on his feet a penalty is not given and if he goes down it is. The stage has been reached when players fling themselves to the floor without being fouled and players who are manage to stay on their feet are roundly criticised. 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 03, 2021, 12:22:46 AM
I did not make myself clear, PD. My thinking on this is more on general terms not this particular tennis match. My question is was Murray's opponent following the letter of the law but not the spirit of the law. I think it was this that annoyed Murray so much. Looking from afar I get the impression there is a good level of sportsmanship in professional tennis. Perhaps in this case Tsitspas didn't show it.   

Happens in all sport. If a footballer is fouled in the penalty box, invariably if he stays on his feet a penalty is not given and if he goes down it is. The stage has been reached when players fling themselves to the floor without being fouled and players who are manage to stay on their feet are roundly criticised.
Yes, I think that he was not following the spirit of the law.  Andy, obviously, thought that too which was why he kept asking the chair umpire during the match what he thought about the extended break and if he thought that it was right.  Also, his comments in the post-match press interview about how he had lost respect for Tsitsipas.

I do think that there are ways to curb the abuse of the spirit of the law though as I mentioned previously.

Regarding football, yes I've seen some footage of the diving and arguments by the commentators over whether or not they thought that a penalty should have been given out, etc.  Sadly, there will always be those who will try and abuse the system.   >:( :(

Speaking of abuse, I felt for Novak.  I didn't manage to catch his match last night, but looking at the news this morning, it seems that he was repeatedly heckled for a time during his match against the Dutchman Griekspoor.  At 4-2 in the second set (He, Novak, had won the first set and was ahead in the second) and he was just about to hit an overhead smash when someone called out (which threw him off and he missed the shot and ended up losing that game).  This person (a man) apparently did that repeatedly whenever Novak was playing at the spectator's end of the court.  Eventually, Novak had had enough of it and complained to the chair umpire to say something to the crowd.  Tennis is such an individual sport and that spectator was purposefully trying to distract him by calling out just before he was going to make contact with the ball.  I'm rather surprised that they didn't escort the spectator out.  He apparently shut up after being addressed by the umpire.  The players are used to the crowd making noises, but deliberately trying to hinder a player is a big "No-No".  I might be able to catch some of the repeat showing of the match this morning.

Great Britain's Raducanu and Evans are still alive and into Round 3.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 03, 2021, 03:09:45 AM
Yes, I think that he was not following the spirit of the law.  Andy, obviously, thought that too which was why he kept asking the chair umpire during the match what he thought about the extended break and if he thought that it was right.  Also, his comments in the post-match press interview about how he had lost respect for Tsitsipas.

I do think that there are ways to curb the abuse of the spirit of the law though as I mentioned previously.

Regarding football, yes I've seen some footage of the diving and arguments by the commentators over whether or not they thought that a penalty should have been given out, etc.  Sadly, there will always be those who will try and abuse the system.   >:( :(

Speaking of abuse, I felt for Novak.  I didn't manage to catch his match last night, but looking at the news this morning, it seems that he was repeatedly heckled for a time during his match against the Dutchman Griekspoor.  At 4-2 in the second set (He, Novak, had won the first set and was ahead in the second) and he was just about to hit an overhead smash when someone called out (which threw him off and he missed the shot and ended up losing that game).  This person (a man) apparently did that repeatedly whenever Novak was playing at the spectator's end of the court.  Eventually, Novak had had enough of it and complained to the chair umpire to say something to the crowd.  Tennis is such an individual sport and that spectator was purposefully trying to distract him by calling out just before he was going to make contact with the ball.  I'm rather surprised that they didn't escort the spectator out.  He apparently shut up after being addressed by the umpire.  The players are used to the crowd making noises, but deliberately trying to hinder a player is a big "No-No".  I might be able to catch some of the repeat showing of the match this morning.

Great Britain's Raducanu and Evans are still alive and into Round 3.   :)

PD

Not as bad as a *minority* of Hungarian fans making monkey noises at England's black footballers last night. :(

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/16037524/england-knee-booed-hungary-sterling-bellingham-monkey-chants/

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 03, 2021, 07:08:48 AM
Not as bad as a *minority* of Hungarian fans making monkey noises at England's black footballers last night. :(

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/16037524/england-knee-booed-hungary-sterling-bellingham-monkey-chants/
That's horrible!!!  Did they (the powers-that-be) do anything to the fans who were doing that?  Any ramifications for their conduct?

PD

p.s.  And I think that I might have been wrong (judging by what I saw and what the commentators were saying); it appears that the chair umpire did nothing regarding the spectator who was repeatedly trying to interfere with Novak's match.  I hope that I'm wrong there.
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons,

Your Raducanu and my Shelby Rogers will be playing each other in the Round of 16 (the fourth round) on Monday!

Shelby beat the No. 1 ranked Ash Barty last night (coming back from a 5-2 lead by her opponent in the third set to beat her in a tiebreak).  She had lost to Barty in her last four (and only) matches against her.

There was also another big upset two nights ago which you might have heard of:  the young 18-year old Spanish player Alcaraz won his biggest match against the No. 3 ranked Stefanos Tsitsipas!  That was one heck of a match!  It was a 5-setter too so will be interesting to see how he recovers.

Anyway, hope that you can watch the Raducanu vs. Rogers match.  :)

PD

p.s.  By the way, Shelby R. is the last American woman standing.  Also, your Dan Evans will be playing the No. 2 seed Daniil Medvedev today (sometime after noontime EST.  There's a woman's match before theirs which starts at noon here...so maybe starting around 2:30 EST?).
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 05, 2021, 05:06:37 AM
Irons,

Your Raducanu and my Shelby Rogers will be playing each other in the Round of 16 (the fourth round) on Monday!

Shelby beat the No. 1 ranked Ash Barty last night (coming back from a 5-2 lead by her opponent in the third set to beat her in a tiebreak).  She had lost to Barty in her last four (and only) matches against her.

There was also another big upset two nights ago which you might have heard of:  the young 18-year old Spanish player Alcaraz won his biggest match against the No. 3 ranked Stefanos Tsitsipas!  That was one heck of a match!  It was a 5-setter too so will be interesting to see how he recovers.

Anyway, hope that you can watch the Raducanu vs. Rogers match.  :)

PD

p.s.  By the way, Shelby R. is the last American woman standing.  Also, your Dan Evans will be playing the No. 2 seed Daniil Medvedev today (sometime after noontime EST.  There's a woman's match before theirs which starts at noon here...so maybe starting around 2:30 EST?).

Dan Evans will be wipe out. Never heard of the guy - I have now. Lamb to slaughter methinks.

Pleased Tsitsipas got beat but not half as much as Murray.

Love to watch R v R match but not getting up in the middle of the night to do so. I know I can rely on you for an unbiased account of the action as you are a honorary Brit. ;) 

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 05, 2021, 06:03:49 AM

Love to watch R v R match but not getting up in the middle of the night to do so. I know I can rely on you for an unbiased account of the action as you are a honorary Brit. ;)

Well, they haven't announced the schedule lineup for tomorrow but tennis does start as early as 11 a.m. (looking at the tournament schedule for Monday).  As there is a five hour time difference between you and me, the ladies' match could start as early as 4 p.m. your time.   :)  Or possibly, if it's the last night match, you might be able to catch the end of it depending upon how early you get up.  If nothing else, I imagine that they will be showing highlights from the match (you can also check out the US Open page = https://2021.usopen.org  ).  Not that I'm trying to get you addicted to another sport!  :D

And regarding your second/third comments:  I am truly honored!  :laugh:  :)

In any event, I'll make a mental note to let you know the schedule and to give you a heads up (if at all possible when it's just about to start--I may be out running some quick errands).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons,

O.k., so here's the news (typing this early Monday morning, so pardon any typos):

First up at noon in Arthur Ashe Stadium will be Zverev vs. Sinner (men's match so it could go up to 5 sets).  Could go anywhere from 1 1/2 hours to 5.  I'm guessing about 3 hours....this is presuming that there is no retirement due to injury.

Next up (same court) will be Rogers vs. Raducanu.  Note:  their match is still part of the daytime session, so no need to usher out day crowd, have dinner break and then get in nighttime crowd.

So, noon is 5 p.m. your time--or should I say 1700 hours?  So, depending upon your evening plans and bedtime, there's a good chance that you could possibly watch some if not all of their match?  And remember that the women's is the best 2 out of 3 matches  whereas the men's is the best 3 out of 5.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Irons,

So did you--or anyone else here--watch the Raducanu vs. Rogers watch?  I had hoped that it would be a much better of a match than it was.  Shelby was just "flat" which often happens after a big victory in their previous match (She took out No. 1 ranked Ash Barty which was a huge win for her.  To give you an idea, going into the US Open, Shelby was ranked No. 55). 

*Raducanu overcame a shaky start and her confidence increased and her performance continually improved throughout the match whilst Rogers, sadly, was struggling making errors upon errors with some occasional glimmers as to how well she can play.  :(

In any event, Emma has much to be proud of.  Considering her very short WTA professional career, she's already made huge strides...came through the qualifying and is now into the quarter finals at the US Open.  :)  Well done to her!   :)  And good for her parents who apparently insisted that she finish at a normal school and not go diving into professional tennis straight away.

*Here are some of the stats from the WTA's website; they're much better at analyzing things than I am! lol

Stat corner: 150th-ranked Raducanu's rise has come at the expense of numerous experienced, highly-ranked players: with her victory over World No.43 Rogers, she has earned her third straight win over a Top 50 player this week. She is now 5-0 against Top 50 opposition in her career.

Raducanu's victories this week have also been straightforward: she has not dropped a set in any of her three victories in qualifying and her four main-draw wins. The British teen has dropped a mere 15 games in her four main-draw matches.

Against Rogers, Raducanu played her powerful game with precision, out-winnering hard-hitting Rogers by 18 to 14, while also keeping her unforced error count low, with just 14 miscues. Rogers, on the other hand, was undone by 29 unforced errors.

Raducanu was also rampant on return, claiming 61 percent of points off of the Rogers service. That allowed her to convert five of her nine break points in the affair, booking a place in the first Tour-level quarterfinal of her career.

PD

EDIT:  Catching some of the (repeat) match of the 20 year old Jenson Brooksby vs. Novak; seriously impressed by this young man!  Took the opening set 6-1 and gave Novak a serious run in the second (haven't watched any of the other sets...at least yet) battling back again and again as in "Advantage Djokovic"/back to 40-40/"Advantage Brooksby", etc.  :)  I'd heard talk of him before by the commentators, but hadn't seen him ever play.  I'm expecting to see great things from him.  Currently ranked No. 99 but that doesn't include the results from him for this week.
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 07, 2021, 03:32:49 AM
Irons,

So did you--or anyone else here--watch the Raducanu vs. Rogers watch?  I had hoped that it would be a much better of a match than it was.  Shelby was just "flat" which often happens after a big victory in their previous match (She took out No. 1 ranked Ash Barty which was a huge win for her.  To give you an idea, going into the US Open, Shelby was ranked No. 55). 

*Raducanu overcame a shaky start and her confidence increased and her performance continually improved throughout the match whilst Rogers, sadly, was struggling making errors upon errors with some occasional glimmers as to how well she can play.  :(

In any event, Emma has much to be proud of.  Considering her very short WTA professional career, she's already made huge strides...came through the qualifying and is now into the quarter finals at the US Open.  :)  Well done to her!   :)  And good for her parents who apparently insisted that she finish at a normal school and not go diving into professional tennis straight away.

*Here are some of the stats from the WTA's website; they're much better at analyzing things than I am! lol

Stat corner: 150th-ranked Raducanu's rise has come at the expense of numerous experienced, highly-ranked players: with her victory over World No.43 Rogers, she has earned her third straight win over a Top 50 player this week. She is now 5-0 against Top 50 opposition in her career.

Raducanu's victories this week have also been straightforward: she has not dropped a set in any of her three victories in qualifying and her four main-draw wins. The British teen has dropped a mere 15 games in her four main-draw matches.

Against Rogers, Raducanu played her powerful game with precision, out-winnering hard-hitting Rogers by 18 to 14, while also keeping her unforced error count low, with just 14 miscues. Rogers, on the other hand, was undone by 29 unforced errors.

Raducanu was also rampant on return, claiming 61 percent of points off of the Rogers service. That allowed her to convert five of her nine break points in the affair, booking a place in the first Tour-level quarterfinal of her career.

PD

EDIT:  Catching some of the (repeat) match of the 20 year old Jenson Brooksby vs. Novak; seriously impressed by this young man!  Took the opening set 6-1 and gave Novak a serious run in the second (haven't watched any of the other sets...at least yet) battling back again and again as in "Advantage Djokovic"/back to 40-40/"Advantage Brooksby", etc.  :)  I'd heard talk of him before by the commentators, but hadn't seen him ever play.  I'm expecting to see great things from him.  Currently ranked No. 99 but that doesn't include the results from him for this week.

Sadly not, PD. No live feed here in the UK, or none that I could find. Watched highlights on YT and to quote 'Del boy' "the world is her lobster". We are so useless at tennis when someone comes along like Raducanu..... that young lady is going to make an awful lot of money.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 07, 2021, 07:10:44 AM
Sadly not, PD. No live feed here in the UK, or none that I could find. Watched highlights on YT and to quote 'Del boy' "the world is her lobster". We are so useless at tennis when someone comes along like Raducanu..... that young lady is going to make an awful lot of money.
Well, I was feeling badly that I had wasted your time!  ;)

And, not true, you've had and have some exceptional tennis players in the UK!  And thanks to efforts by people like Judy Murray (particularly in Scotland) more kids are getting interested in playing tennis.

We have been struggling here in the US with getting the next round of exceptional tennis players.  Been ages since an American male has won the US Open (Andy Roddick was the last one to have done so).  Also trying to help raise the next generation of female tennis players not named *Williams.  Things are looking better here though that said, this is the first time in ages that (apparently) we haven't had an American man into the quarter finals at the US Open!  :(  Feeling better though seeing players like Frances Tiafoe and Jenson Brooksby progressing nicely.  Coco Gauff has also been playing amazingly well--particularly for one so young.  She and her partner McNally are still alive and playing in the women's doubles at the Open.  I'm sure that there are others that I don't know about (particularly in the juniors).

By the way, your Raducanu will next be playing the Swiss Belinda Bencic.  Bencic won the gold medal in singles this year and also had the honor of playing with Roger F. a couple of years ago in the Laver Cup.   :)  I suspect that this will be a good match!

*Though look out for Olympia when she gets older!  Her mama and "current coach" is Serena.  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 07, 2021, 07:30:30 AM
Well, I was feeling badly that I had wasted your time!  ;)

And, not true, you've had and have some exceptional tennis players in the UK!  And thanks to efforts by people like Judy Murray (particularly in Scotland) more kids are getting interested in playing tennis.

We have been struggling here in the US with getting the next round of exceptional tennis players.  Been ages since an American male has won the US Open (Andy Roddick was the last one to have done so).  Also trying to help raise the next generation of female tennis players not named *Williams.  Things are looking better here though that said, this is the first time in ages that (apparently) we haven't had an American man into the quarter finals at the US Open!  :(  Feeling better though seeing players like Frances Tiafoe and Jenson Brooksby progressing nicely.  Coco Gauff has also been playing amazingly well--particularly for one so young.  She and her partner McNally are still alive and playing in the women's doubles at the Open.  I'm sure that there are others that I don't know about (particularly in the juniors).

By the way, your Raducanu will next be playing the Swiss Belinda Bencic.  Bencic won the gold medal in singles this year and also had the honor of playing with Roger F. a couple of years ago in the Laver Cup.   :)  I suspect that this will be a good match!

*Though look out for Olympia when she gets older!  Her mama and "current coach" is Serena.  ;D

PD

Andy Murray was the first Brit to win Wimbledon (men's) since Fred Perry (the men played in long trousers then I believe). Considering our tournament not exactly a rollcall of honour. :(

The UK newspapers are all over Raducanu this morning. Mine did make the point that Rogers "froze" which is similar to the point you made, PD. I think Raducanu will go out in the next round, which going by the experiences of past young "shooting stars" of the past will be no bad thing. Give her a couple of years and she may win Wimbledon. Too much too soon is a worry.