Tennis anyone?

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, January 05, 2019, 05:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 08, 2021, 06:50:47 AM
Andy Murray was the first Brit to win Wimbledon (men's) since Fred Perry (the men played in long trousers then I believe). Considering our tournament not exactly a rollcall of honour. :(

The UK newspapers are all over Raducanu this morning. Mine did make the point that Rogers "froze" which is similar to the point you made, PD. I think Raducanu will go out in the next round, which going by the experiences of past young "shooting stars" of the past will be no bad thing. Give her a couple of years and she may win Wimbledon. Too much too soon is a worry.
Tim Henman made a good run though (semi-finals).  Dan Evans made it into the top 50 and after some errr..."setbacks" has climbed his way back up there again (currently ranked No. 27).  https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/dan-evans-cocaine-drugs-test-turning-career-around-bad-boy-never-stopped-a7805766.html  Konta has also won some tournaments...think that Watson has too?  Don't know about Robson.

Jamie Murray has won a number of doubles tournaments, ranking No. 1 in doubles at one time:  He along with his partner(s?) have won the Australian and the US Opens and was the finalist at Wimbledon and quarter-finalist twice at the French Open.  By the way, his brother Andy, has also won the Olympic gold medal in singles--twice!

As a nice aside, Virginia Wade went to the US Open this year and watched Raducanu play.  What an honor!  Raducanu was thrilled!  :)

Anyway, I hope that today's match will be a good one (starting in about 45 minutes).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 08, 2021, 07:19:04 AM
Tim Henman made a good run though (semi-finals).  Dan Evans made it into the top 50 and after some errr..."setbacks" has climbed his way back up there again (currently ranked No. 27).  https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/dan-evans-cocaine-drugs-test-turning-career-around-bad-boy-never-stopped-a7805766.html  Konta has also won some tournaments...think that Watson has too?  Don't know about Robson.

Jamie Murray has won a number of doubles tournaments, ranking No. 1 in doubles at one time:  He along with his partner(s?) have won the Australian and the US Opens and was the finalist at Wimbledon and quarter-finalist twice at the French Open.  By the way, his brother Andy, has also won the Olympic gold medal in singles--twice!

As a nice aside, Virginia Wade went to the US Open this year and watched Raducanu play.  What an honor!  Raducanu was thrilled!  :)

Anyway, I hope that today's match will be a good one (starting in about 45 minutes).

PD

I read that Virginia Wade now lives in Long Island.

Here in the UK, Raducanu's matches are shown on Amazon Prime I discover.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 08, 2021, 11:36:15 PM
I read that Virginia Wade now lives in Long Island.

Here in the UK, Raducanu's matches are shown on Amazon Prime I discover.
Apparently.  I saw a couple of nice interviews with her online.  It seems that initially she ended up in Manhattan (wanting to avoid high British tax rates and also wanting to live a more low-key lifestyle after she became a celebrity in her home country).  There's a fun Q & A with her here that you might enjoy:  https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/may/24/virginia-wade-interview.

*Great job by Emma yesterday!  Amazing that she is now into the semi-finals.  She's now the first person ever (male or female) to have come through the qualies and make it that far at the US Open.  It would be quite something if the two teenagers made it into the final (the other is the Canadian L. Fernandez).  Are you able to watch Amazon prime?  I don't have that here, but can watch it either live on ESPN or repeated next day on the Tennis Channel (though I can't chose which courts I want to watch).

Meanwhile, I'm happy to see that the awesome team of Coco Gauff and Caty McNally are into the women's doubles' semi-finals.  You might have heard of Coco before.  She's the young American (17) who has been making decent runs at the slams and also has already won a few tournaments:  2 singles titles and 3 doubles titles (all with McNally).

*I'll bet that pictures of her are plastered all over the UK papers today?  Heaven help her if she wins the US Open!  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Boy, exciting news at the US Open!  Both Raducanu and Fernandez made it through their respective semi-finals, so it will be the battle of the teenagers (Raducanu, aged 18 and Fernandez who just turned 19 a few days ago).  Both of them have been playing absolutely amazing tennis these past two weeks.  Hoping for a great women's singles' final.   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

Yes, it was the main item on the news here today. Let's hope that it's not a case of hubris followed by nemesis (from the UK point of view).
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 10, 2021, 03:18:38 AM
Boy, exciting news at the US Open!  Both Raducanu and Fernandez made it through their respective semi-finals, so it will be the battle of the teenagers (Raducanu, aged 18 and Fernandez who just turned 19 a few days ago).  Both of them have been playing absolutely amazing tennis these past two weeks.  Hoping for a great women's singles' final.   :)

PD

Can't wait! Both of these young women are so impressive. Resilient, tenacious, and extremely calm under pressure.

Although I am rooting for Fernandez because she is Canadian, Raducanu was born in Canada. A win-win for me.

Hard to actually say who might win this one the way both have been playing.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 10, 2021, 03:40:01 AM
Can't wait! Both of these young women are so impressive. Resilient, tenacious, and extremely calm under pressure.

Although I am rooting for Fernandez because she is Canadian, Raducanu was born in Canada. A win-win for me.

Hard to actually say who might win this one the way both have been playing.

I hope hope hope that they are BOTH able to maintain the free-spirited JOY in their playing that they have at the moment.  SO sad reading Osaka's comments of simply being sad if she lost and relieved if she won.  To have such talent but feel such a burden must be awful.......

Brahmsian

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 10, 2021, 03:43:03 AM
I hope hope hope that they are BOTH able to maintain the free-spirited JOY in their playing that they have at the moment.  SO sad reading Osaka's comments of simply being sad if she lost and relieved if she won.  To have such talent but feel such a burden must be awful.......

It is great to see the joy and passion they are both exhibiting and they have certainly become crowd favourites.

Yes, once you are at the top, things change. It becomes an expectation.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: OrchestralNut on September 10, 2021, 03:46:29 AM
It is great to see the joy and passion they are both exhibiting and they have certainly become crowd favourites.

Yes, once you are at the top, things change. It becomes an expectation.

Just so - no doubt some strange folk have already started having a troll of both of them.....

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Roasted Swan on September 10, 2021, 03:43:03 AM
Yes, I feel for her (Osaka) and hope that she is able to find joy again in playing tennis.

Will they be showing the final in the UK in such a way so that one wouldn't have to pay for a premium service in order to watch it?  And what about in Canada?  We used to be able to watch the US Open with just a basic t.v. subscription--really back when there were just three main networks; all you needed was electricity and a t.v. antenna.  Then things started changing so that ESPN bought the rights to most of the matches though the later ones you  could watch on good ole NBC--for a basic subscription.  Nowadays, you have to pay extra for ESPN to watch it from Round 1 (repeats being shown on the Tennis Channel--another premium package).   :(

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 10, 2021, 03:58:39 AM
Yes, I feel for her (Osaka) and hope that she is able to find joy again in playing tennis.

Will they be showing the final in the UK in such a way so that one wouldn't have to pay for a premium service in order to watch it?  And what about in Canada?  We used to be able to watch the US Open with just a basic t.v. subscription--really back when there were just three main networks; all you needed was electricity and a t.v. antenna.  Then things started changing so that ESPN bought the rights to most of the matches though the later ones you  could watch on good ole NBC--for a basic subscription.  Nowadays, you have to pay extra for ESPN to watch it from Round 1 (repeats being shown on the Tennis Channel--another premium package).   :(

PD

I think the BBC will show free-to-air highlights and the whole US Open is on Amazon Prime which I have for the music/delivery options so in that sense it almost feels like a "free" option (self-deluding I know!)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 10, 2021, 03:58:39 AM

PD

I do have a cable subscription, so am able to watch it on TSN (a Canadian sports cable channel).

Pohjolas Daughter

Oh, good, RS and ON!

Looking at the US Open website, it looks like the women's singles' final is scheduled for 4 p.m. EST on Saturday.  So, hopefully it won't be past most people's bedtimes in the U.K.

The men's final on Sunday could be a good one, but semis first tonight.  Novak is going for a calendar slam record and so far has been playing really well.  Can anyone stop him?   :-\  I suspect not, but we'll find out soon!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 07, 2021, 07:10:44 AM
Sadly not, PD. No live feed here in the UK, or none that I could find. Watched highlights on YT and to quote 'Del boy' "the world is her lobster". We are so useless at tennis when someone comes along like Raducanu..... that young lady is going to make an awful lot of money.
You might find this to be of interest Irons:  https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58508806  By the way, the winner of the women's singles' final gets $2,500,000 and the finalist:  $1,250,000.  Not too shabby!

By the way, it appears that you will be able to watch an hour long highlights of the match on Sunday.  Here's the gist of it from the BBC website:

"The match, which is due to start at 21:00 BST on Saturday, 11 September, will be live on BBC Radio 5 Live, with video clips of the match available afterwards on the BBC Sport website and app.

On Sunday afternoon BBC One will broadcast an hour-long highlights programme of the final from 13:45 BST.

Raducanu, 18, extended her dream run in New York with a 6-1 6-4 semi-final victory over Greek 17th seed Maria Sakkari in the early hours of Friday.

There is no planned live network TV coverage in the UK of the US Open. The tournament is being broadcast live by Amazon through its Amazon Prime Video streaming app available on connected TVs and mobile devices. You need a subscription to access the service, which starts at £5.99.

The BBC TV coverage will also be available to watch through BBC iPlayer, while the live radio commentary will also be on BBC Sounds and the BBC Sport website and app, which will also have live text commentary and in-depth coverage of the match.
"

PD

p.s.  They (ESPN) is currently showing the men's doubles' final live:  Jamie Murray and Bruno Suares vs. the US's R. Ram and another British player named Salisbury.  You guys are everywhere!  The winning team gets $660,000 and the runners up $330,000.  Fingers crossed for Coco and Caty to make it to the women's doubles' final and to win it!  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 10, 2021, 08:17:20 AM
You might find this to be of interest Irons:  https://www.bbc.com/news/business-58508806  By the way, the winner of the women's singles' final gets $2,500,000 and the finalist:  $1,250,000.  Not too shabby!

By the way, it appears that you will be able to watch an hour long highlights of the match on Sunday.  Here's the gist of it from the BBC website:

"The match, which is due to start at 21:00 BST on Saturday, 11 September, will be live on BBC Radio 5 Live, with video clips of the match available afterwards on the BBC Sport website and app.

On Sunday afternoon BBC One will broadcast an hour-long highlights programme of the final from 13:45 BST.

Raducanu, 18, extended her dream run in New York with a 6-1 6-4 semi-final victory over Greek 17th seed Maria Sakkari in the early hours of Friday.

There is no planned live network TV coverage in the UK of the US Open. The tournament is being broadcast live by Amazon through its Amazon Prime Video streaming app available on connected TVs and mobile devices. You need a subscription to access the service, which starts at £5.99.

The BBC TV coverage will also be available to watch through BBC iPlayer, while the live radio commentary will also be on BBC Sounds and the BBC Sport website and app, which will also have live text commentary and in-depth coverage of the match.
"

PD

p.s.  They (ESPN) is currently showing the men's doubles' final live:  Jamie Murray and Bruno Suares vs. the US's R. Ram and another British player named Salisbury.  You guys are everywhere!  The winning team gets $660,000 and the runners up $330,000.  Fingers crossed for Coco and Caty to make it to the women's doubles' final and to win it!  :)

I had a plan. Knowing the Ladies semi kicks off when snuggled up in bed, hit the remote at 6.30 am and watch the match unaware of the result. Something I have done many times with boxing held in the US. To get to Amazon Prime, the TV has to be switched on! My plan was dust as the BBC studios which happened to be on were in raptures by Radacanu's victory. Oh well.

I must say although a lover of all sport, tennis is not top of the list but what this young lady has achieved is remarkable. I think the whole nation and possibly America too has fallen in love with her. It feels me with pride that she is British and more so, not less, that her father is Romanian and her mother Chinese which is a true reflection of modern cosmopolitan Britain.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 10, 2021, 08:58:28 AM
I had a plan. Knowing the Ladies semi kicks off when snuggled up in bed, hit the remote at 6.30 am and watch the match unaware of the result. Something I have done many times with boxing held in the US. To get to Amazon Prime, the TV has to be switched on! My plan was dust as the BBC studios which happened to be on were in raptures by Radacanu's victory. Oh well.

I must say although a lover of all sport, tennis is not top of the list but what this young lady has achieved is remarkable. I think the whole nation and possibly America too has fallen in love with her. It feels me with pride that she is British and more so, not less, that her father is Romanian and her mother Chinese which is a true reflection of modern cosmopolitan Britain.
Augh!  Sorry that your surprise was spoiled Irons!  I've had that happen to me before.  Skipped watching the Australian men's final thinking that I'd catch the repeat in the morning; however, I stupidly turned on my kitchen radio which is tuned to an NPR station.  "....and so and so won the Australian Open"....urgh!!!  >:(  My stupidity!

Sorry to read that Raducanu's parents won't be there for the final.  Apparently, they would need to get a special waver--which, it seems, takes several weeks to get (couldn't somebody in high places try to make this happen?  Or maybe a lot of Covid testing and quarantining is involved?).   Such a shame that they can't be there.  :(  And, yes, it's neat to read their different stories.   :) I read the other day that Leylah Fernandez's father was originally from Ecuador and was a former professional football player.  Her mother is a Canadian citizen of Filipino descent.  And her younger sister is also a tennis player too.  Leylah, like a lot of tennis players, resides elsewhere--apparently currently in Boynton Beach, Florida.  It's a small world!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 10, 2021, 09:35:21 AM
Augh!  Sorry that your surprise was spoiled Irons!  I've had that happen to me before.  Skipped watching the Australian men's final thinking that I'd catch the repeat in the morning; however, I stupidly turned on my kitchen radio which is tuned to an NPR station.  "....and so and so won the Australian Open"....urgh!!!  >:(  My stupidity!

Sorry to read that Raducanu's parents won't be there for the final.  Apparently, they would need to get a special waver--which, it seems, takes several weeks to get (couldn't somebody in high places try to make this happen?  Or maybe a lot of Covid testing and quarantining is involved?).   Such a shame that they can't be there.  :(  And, yes, it's neat to read their different stories.   :) I read the other day that Leylah Fernandez's father was originally from Ecuador and was a former professional football player.  Her mother is a Canadian citizen of Filipino descent.  And her younger sister is also a tennis player too.  Leylah, like a lot of tennis players, resides elsewhere--apparently currently in Boynton Beach, Florida.  It's a small world!  :)

PD

Yes so many similarities between the two girls and Fernandez was lowly ranked too. The Finale is a massive shot in the arm for Ladies Tennis.

Amazon Prime has struck gold - not that they needed to! They are showing the match live at peak viewing time, 9pm.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 11, 2021, 12:14:29 AM
Yes so many similarities between the two girls and Fernandez was lowly ranked too. The Finale is a massive shot in the arm for Ladies Tennis.

Amazon Prime has struck gold - not that they needed to! They are showing the match live at peak viewing time, 9pm.
Cool!  Will you be watching it?  Or is that getting a bit late for you?  I've been getting up earlier this past summer (though overslept today!)...which means that I don't last so late into the evenings.  At least it will be on during afternoon here.

By the way, Rajeev Ram (who is a doubles player veteran--and also an American) and UK's Joe Salisbury won the men's doubles yesterday.  :)

So, you're into boxing?  Did you ever train/compete in it yourself Irons?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Papy Oli

One for the Brits: the Raducanu final will also be shown live on Channel 4 from 8pm.

Just read on my twitter feed that C4 made a deal with Amazon, I have checked the schedule on the TV guide and it is indeed listed. 
Olivier

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 11, 2021, 02:34:53 AM
One for the Brits: the Raducanu final will also be shown live on Channel 4 from 8pm.

Just read on my twitter feed that C4 made a deal with Amazon, I have checked the schedule on the TV guide and it is indeed listed.
Excellent!  I had a strong feeling that they would find a way to show it live on the BBC.  Happy for you all!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter