Tennis anyone?

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, January 05, 2019, 05:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Papy Oli on September 11, 2021, 02:34:53 AM
One for the Brits: the Raducanu final will also be shown live on Channel 4 from 8pm.

Just read on my twitter feed that C4 made a deal with Amazon, I have checked the schedule on the TV guide and it is indeed listed.
Just ran across this article.  Wonder whether or not the figures are correct?  If so, wow!  This is from MSN.com website:

'Channel 4 strikes a deal with Amazon to air Live US Open Tennis Final
The news that the final will be shown on Channel 4 will be welcomed by UK tennis fans as they can now watch the entire match for free, instead of having to stream it from Amazon.

Channel 4 made a special deal with Amazon, reportedly worth £30m, allowing UK viewers to watch the US Open final for free, instead of streaming it on Amazon.

Amazon owns the exclusive UK rights to the US Open, meaning that ordinarily, viewers would have to subscribe to a 30-day free trial or pay a monthly fee of £7.99 to watch the match on its Prime service.

Channel 4's chief content officer, Ian Katz, said: "Emma's meteoric rise to secure a place in the US Open Final is just sensational. We're glad to have worked with Prime Video and pulled out all the stops to get it on air and I'm sure viewers will be thrilled at the prospect of watching Emma in this grand slam final."
'

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Papy Oli

Olivier

vandermolen

She did it! Amazing:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Iota

Surreal! What remarkable talents and remarkable young women both! Their fearlessness in the heat of battle is just extraordinary. And the road ahead for young Emma seems absolutely wide open.

vandermolen

Quote from: Iota on September 11, 2021, 02:46:47 PM
Surreal! What remarkable talents and remarkable young women both! Their fearlessness in the heat of battle is just extraordinary. And the road ahead for young Emma seems absolutely wide open.
+1

Irons

Quote from: Iota on September 11, 2021, 02:46:47 PM

Spot on! Both girls are an amazing example what the young can achieve.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 12, 2021, 01:02:47 AM
Spot on! Both girls are an amazing example what the young can achieve.
Yes, an amazing run for both of them.  Fernandez had to fight through three of the top five women's tennis players for example (including a number of players who had won slams before too).  And Raducanu...can't believe that she made it through the qualifiers rounds...into the final and won the whole Big Apple (and without dropping a set along the route)!  She was ranked No. 150 when she started and coming Monday, she'll be ranked something like No. 23.

Pretty amazing how they managed to stay focused and calm..amazing maturity from too such young and very talented tennis players.

PD

p.s.  Loved Fernandez's comments to the crowd about 9/11 and the resiliency of NYC over the past 20 years--you could tell that she meant it and that the crowd loved her even more for her kind words.  :)
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 12, 2021, 08:08:20 AM
Yes, an amazing run for both of them.  Fernandez had to fight through three of the top five women's tennis players for example (including a number of players who had won slams before too).  And Raducanu...can't believe that she made it through the qualifiers rounds...into the final and won the whole Big Apple (and without dropping a set along the route)!  She was ranked No. 150 when she started and coming Monday, she'll be ranked something like No. 23.

Pretty amazing how they managed to stay focused and calm..amazing maturity from too such young and very talented tennis players.

PD

p.s.  Loved Fernandez's comments to the crowd about 9/11 and the resiliency of NYC over the past 20 years--you could tell that she meant it and that the crowd loved her even more for her kind words.  :)

Not been mentioned in the thread, but I thought the medical break was of significance. Obviously Raducanu did not do it for her own advantage - post Aids, any sight of blood in sport results in a stop of proceedings. Although on cusp of a Raducanu victory, which can be the most difficult and tricky part of the game for any player, Fernandez was coming back at her. After stoppage, Raducanu sat in her chair cool as cucumber where as Fernandez was growing more and more agitated complaining to the match referee. It appeared she was upset. Maybe if her coach had been at the match he would have got a message to her to stop complaining, sit down and gather her thoughts. Not saying the result would have been different, but stranger things have happened and Fernandez is a fighter.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on September 13, 2021, 12:16:13 AM
Not been mentioned in the thread, but I thought the medical break was of significance. Obviously Raducanu did not do it for her own advantage - post Aids, any sight of blood in sport results in a stop of proceedings. Although on cusp of a Raducanu victory, which can be the most difficult and tricky part of the game for any player, Fernandez was coming back at her. After stoppage, Raducanu sat in her chair cool as cucumber where as Fernandez was growing more and more agitated complaining to the match referee. It appeared she was upset. Maybe if her coach had been at the match he would have got a message to her to stop complaining, sit down and gather her thoughts. Not saying the result would have been different, but stranger things have happened and Fernandez is a fighter.
I believe that Fernandez was initially upset because she couldn't see (from where she was at the other end of the court) that Raducanu was bleeding and so didn't know what was happening and why there was a time out.  That said, she was jumping around on court trying to stay loose and probably, yes, feeling frustrated as she had been on a mini-roll and then this happened.

From the ITF rulebook: 

"Bleeding
If a player is bleeding, the Chair Umpire must stop play as soon as possible, and the Sports Physiotherapist must be called to the court by the Chair Umpire for evaluation and treatment. The Sports Physiotherapist, in conjunction with the Tournament Doctor if appropriate, will evaluate the source of the bleeding, and will request a Medical Time-Out for treatment if necessary.  If requested by the Sports Physiotherapist and/or Tournament Doctor, the Referee in consultation with the Grand Slam Supervisor or Chair Umpire may allow up to a total of five (5) minutes to assure control of the bleeding.  If blood has spilled onto the court or its immediate vicinity, play must not resume until the blood spill has been cleaned appropriately."

Also, no on-court coaching is allowed at slams (for both the men and the women).

Amazing win by Medvedev yesterday.  I felt for Novak as *he was trying so hard to win a calendar slam (winning all four opens within the same year).  Rod Laver, the only other man to have done so during the Open era, would have presented the trophy to Novak (so I had heard).  Steffi Graff, back in 1988 did it on the women's side (only other person to have done this male or female in the Open era other than Laver).  Medvedev was playing brilliantly though and I think also that the extra hours that Novak had played on court to get to the finals caught up with him too.

*If Novak had won this one too, he would have surpassed Rafa's and Roger's and his record of having won 20 slams each.  I would be surprised if Novak didn't do this at some point in the near future, but, alas for him, this wasn't to be his time to do so.

I'm watching some of the repeat now.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

As a fun aside:  I went online to see who wore what at the Met Gala and was pleased to see that a number of tennis players had attended it.  Not terribly surprised as Anna Wintour is a big tennis fan.  I suspect that there were some last minute invites as Emma Raducanu was there as well as Leylah Fernandez.  Loved Naomi Osaka's look (she was also one of the co-chairs)!

https://conandaily.com/2021/09/14/emma-raducanu-leylah-fernandez-attend-met-gala-2021-in-new-york-naomi-osaka-amanda-gorman-are-co-chairs/

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Well, the women's draw is out now for Indian Wells.  Raducanu has a tricky road to navigate ahead:  https://www.10sballs.com/2021/10/05/indian-wells-tennis-•-wta-ladies-draw-raducanu-in-section-stacked-with-grand-slam-champions/  She was given a wild card into the event as at the time, her ranking wasn't high enough to get her into it.  She is now ranked No. 22.

The men's draw is due out at 3 p.m. (Pacific Time) today.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

I took a look at the women's doubles' draw and noticed that Coco Gauff will be playing with Leylah Fernandez.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

If you need a good laugh, try this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZDn0U0w78k   :)

It's actually about badminton, but it left me in stitches.  Big fan here of Mary Carillo.  Besides being a former tennis champion, she's been a long-time commentator to various news networks (like Tennis Channel, ESPN and others).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Some cool news for Australians:  At the Australian Open, they will now have an all-Australian men's doubles' finals.  And in the women's singles' final:  the No. 1 seed Ash Barty will be fighting for her first win of the A.O. [Last won by an Aussie back in 1978.] against the American Danielle Collins (her first ever open final).

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

And how could I forget to mention the amazing and inspiring career of Dylan Alcott!  Thought that it was really cool that he was also chosen as "Australian of the Year".   :)  Here's one article about him here:  https://theconversation.com/tennis-champ-dylan-alcott-is-2022-australian-of-the-year-175657

And Rafa and Daniil into the men's singles' final!  Will Rafa break the 3-way tie of 20 slams each (between him, Roger and Novak) or will Medvedev win his second slam?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

My wife is shouting for Barty in the lady's final but is undecided in the men's final.
I am guided by her  ;)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on January 28, 2022, 02:51:42 PM
My wife is shouting for Barty in the lady's final but is undecided in the men's final.
I am guided by her  ;)
;D
Hello!

I did manage to catch the end of the women's final live (started at 3:30 a.m. here).  Had hoped that it would go to three sets, but alas not.

Very happy for Barty:  she's a real champion and even more importantly, everything that I've ever heard about her has been positive.  All of her fellow players talk about how genuine and lovely a person she is.  She's also now 3/4 of the way towards winning a career slam--very impressive!

Felt for Danielle you could see how disappointed she was after having worked so hard to get into the final.  She has a lot to be proud of though and will now be in the top 10.

Here, I'm pulling for Rafa!   :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Boys and girls,

We're going 5!   ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

springrite

Medvedev's shortcomings are so glaring. Yet he almost beat Nadal.
Once he learns how to play at the net, he's going to be something special.

Congrats to Rafa!

I see so many headlines about "is the debate about GOAT in tennis over?"
You've got to be kidding.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.