Tennis anyone?

Started by Pohjolas Daughter, January 05, 2019, 05:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aligreto

My wife and myself will be watching Federer's last match tonight.
I will have to assist my wife in dispelling her grief by helping her to consume some French Red in order to ease her pain.  ;D

LKB

Hopefully he'll give everyone something memorable... one last SABR perhaps?
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 23, 2022, 05:58:49 AM
My wife and myself will be watching Federer's last match tonight.
I will have to assist my wife in dispelling her grief by helping her to consume some French Red in order to ease her pain.  ;D
Could you please send a bottle my way too?  :(

In any event, glad that you can watch it!

Team World is struggling though Jack Sock almost beat Casper Ruud.  Though almosts in sports don't count for much (other than watching a good match).

Taking a break from cooking and KP duty to watch the second set with Tsitsipas and Schwartzman.

Quote from: LKB on September 23, 2022, 07:11:20 AM

Hopefully he'll give everyone something memorable... one last SABR perhaps?
I want to see those singlehanded down the line shots along with a couple of tweeners and those serves which he manages to disguise where he's aiming for so well!  ;D  Will you be watching it from a friend's house or at a sports bar LKB?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

I'll have to catch up via the internet over the next few days, once I'm off work. Right now sleep takes precedence...

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on September 23, 2022, 01:16:34 PM
I'll have to catch up via the internet over the next few days, once I'm off work. Right now sleep takes precedence...
Sorry to hear that.  Sweet dreams.
PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

There were very moving scenes on the court at the end of Federer's playing career. Irrespective of what happened on the court, what struck me as the most poignant aspect of the whole event was the camaraderie between Federer and Rafa. That was joyous to behold.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 23, 2022, 04:51:31 PM
There were very moving scenes on the court at the end of Federer's playing career. Irrespective of what happened on the court, what struck me as the most poignant aspect of the whole event was the camaraderie between Federer and Rafa. That was joyous to behold.
Yes, you could certainly see the real friendship there.  ❤️ Probably not a lot of dry eyes in that stadium; mine sprung a leak (or two...or three) when I was watching here.  Must have been hard too today for Roger to walk back out on the court with Team Europe.  Heard also that Rafa won't be playing any more at this year's Laver Cup.  I suspect that he rallied himself to play with Roger one last time.

PD

EDIT:  Wonder how much sleep Roger managed to get last night--between any post-match interviews/press and all of the emotions going through him, his family, his team, etc.?
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 24, 2022, 04:32:29 AM
Yes, you could certainly see the real friendship there.  ❤️ Probably not a lot of dry eyes in that stadium; mine sprung a leak (or two...or three) when I was watching here.  Must have been hard too today for Roger to walk back out on the court with Team Europe.  Heard also that Rafa won't be playing any more at this year's Laver Cup.  I suspect that he rallied himself to play with Roger one last time.

PD

EDIT:  Wonder how much sleep Roger managed to get last time--between any post-match interviews/press and all of the emotions going through him, his family, his team, etc.?

I suspect that you may well be correct there PD.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: aligreto on September 24, 2022, 05:36:29 AM
I suspect that you may well be correct there PD.
Good things ahead for Rafa:  If all goes well, he's due to become a daddy.   :)

How did your wife deal with the match and the closing tribute?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

aligreto

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on September 24, 2022, 06:11:07 AM

How did your wife deal with the match and the closing tribute?

PD

I suspect that she shed a silent tear or two but she did not pretend. She enjoyed the occasion and, of course, regretted the fact that she will no longer see him playing. She has been a lifelong fan.

LKB

Quote from: aligreto on September 24, 2022, 07:22:40 AM
I suspect that she shed a silent tear or two but she did not pretend. She enjoyed the occasion and, of course, regretted the fact that she will no longer see him playing. She has been a lifelong fan.

There's a ton of Federer on YouTube, going back over twenty years. Anyone needing a " Federer fix " will have no trouble.  ;)

aligreto

Quote from: LKB on September 24, 2022, 07:27:59 AM
There's a ton of Federer on YouTube, going back over twenty years. Anyone needing a " Federer fix " will have no trouble.  ;)

She has probably watched every one of them  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on September 24, 2022, 07:27:59 AM

Quote from: aligreto on September 24, 2022, 07:37:00 AM
She has probably watched every one of them  ;D
She and I both!  Or at least 80% of them.  :D

We may not have to wait too too long to see him again--though probably not playing--as it sounded like he wants to still be involved in the tennis world in one form or another.  Who knows, perhaps he might want to establish an academy?  Or be available to coach certain players for short periods of times?  Or help Swiss kids with their tennis or??  I can't see him though going back to being a ball kid in Basle--not with his bum knee!

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Team World is (knock on wood) doing its best ever so far at the Laver Cup [and I dare not say this very loudly as I will end up jinxing them!].  We have yet to win the darn thing.  Fingers are crossed here.  Novak and Felix and currently playing singles.  Today's the last day of it.  Matches are now worth 3 points each and the first team to 13 points wins.  Team Europe is currently ahead 8-7.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Anyone else watching any of the matches from the Australian Open 2023?

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 16, 2023, 02:09:03 AMAnyone else watching any of the matches from the Australian Open 2023?

PD
No one here?  :o  :(

The time difference makes it a bit rough on my body to catch much of it live.  I've caught some live and highlights of other matches in replay.  Really rough to see Rafa out due to hip injury, but (like always) he gave it his all--could have just retired after his medical time out, but he refused to go that way and still competed.

And well done to Murray in his long fight against Berrettini.

Did watch some chunks of Radacanu vs. Gauff.  Best playing that I've seen from Emma in ages.  Hope that things work out well for her with her new coach.  And, I must admit, that I was very pleased by Coco's performance too.  ;D

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

LKB

I must admit, since Roger's retirement my interest in the game has changed. I'm spending more time watching videos of old matches featuring my old favorite, Jimmy Connors vs. Borg, Lendl, McEnroe etc.

But I'll probably find my way back to the current scene at some point, watching Rafa is a lot like watching Jimbo at times.  ;D

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: LKB on January 18, 2023, 07:37:40 PMI must admit, since Roger's retirement my interest in the game has changed. I'm spending more time watching videos of old matches featuring my old favorite, Jimmy Connors vs. Borg, Lendl, McEnroe etc.

But I'll probably find my way back to the current scene at some point, watching Rafa is a lot like watching Jimbo at times.  ;D
Well, after Rafa's latest injury and given his age, come back soon as I suspect that he won't be playing much longer.  I think we'll know more soon once he gets his hip examined and diagnosed.

And, yes, I miss Roger too.  :(

Enjoy your "vintage" matches!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: LKB on January 18, 2023, 07:37:40 PMI must admit, since Roger's retirement my interest in the game has changed. I'm spending more time watching videos of old matches featuring my old favorite, Jimmy Connors vs. Borg, Lendl, McEnroe etc.

I'm not a fan of the attitudes and demeanors of some of these players in that generation, specially American nationals. I find the tennis players today better educated and behave nice.

LKB

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on January 19, 2023, 05:21:13 AMI'm not a fan of the attitudes and demeanors of some of these players in that generation, specially American nationals. I find the tennis players today better educated and behave nice.

I agree, Connors and McEnroe could both be jerks, and while there are still a few " problematical " pros on the tour l don't think they get the same level of attention. It's hard to imagine Rafa or Federer acting up in that way. Djokovic though, if he were ever pushed hard enough, maybe...

I don't recall the year atm, but on one occasion McEnroe defaulted out of the Australian Open after one f-bomb too many. Anyway, while I'll acknowledge McEnroe's abilities l was never a fan.

It was Connors who got me interested in tennis in the first place, in 1974. When he was focused and playing well, he was as exciting as anyone who ever picked up a racquet, before or since. And he still holds a couple of records which may never be matched: five US Open titles on three surfaces, and 109 pro titles overall.

His memoir, The Outsider, is recommended.