Mussorgsky

Started by BachQ, May 25, 2007, 05:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BasilValentine

Quote from: vandermolen on August 22, 2017, 02:06:16 AM
Am not a great fan of Tomita!

My girlfriend's dog hated him too! There was a part of "The Gnome" at which she never failed to bark angrily.

Turner

Quote from: relm1 on July 10, 2017, 03:52:28 PM
What is your favorite recording of Pictures at an Exhibition?  The one you would use to "sell" someone on the work if they've never heard it before?  I ask because I just heard what I consider a subpar performance from Fabrizio Ventura and the Sinfonieorchester Munster.  Very unmusical.  I recall hearing various performances that were devastating in their impact but forgot which recordings those were.  Perhaps Solti/Chicago?

Celi DG or EMI.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: North Star on August 22, 2017, 01:48:58 AM
http://www.brilliantclassics.com/media/445970/94670-Mussorgsky-Edition-Liner-Notes-Sung-texts-download-file.pdf

Unfortunately that one is a 92 page document which has texts and translations of Boris Godunov, Kovanshchina, various songs &c, but not Sorochintsi Fair. A large part of the English in that document appears to be Google translated from the Russian, some parts are quite hilarious.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

North Star

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 22, 2017, 01:32:37 PM
Unfortunately that one is a 92 page document which has texts and translations of Boris Godunov, Kovanshchina, various songs &c, but not Sorochintsi Fair. A large part of the English in that document appears to be Google translated from the Russian, some parts are quite hilarious.
Well, damn. I should have looked closer..
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

calyptorhynchus

I've listened to the first act of Sorochintsi Fair with the aid of a synopsis and the Russian vocal score. What an amazing piece, why isn't it more popular? it certainly makes my top ten opera list (assuming the next two acts are just as good).

Still a bit handicapped without a libretto. Can someone who owns a copy of Kobbe's Complete Opera Book tell me if that work has an English libretto for SF in it, if so I might invest in a copy.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

I searched for an English libretto without success, but I did find a French libretto which I have now translated. So here are the French and English alongside each other:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yrqdsjwo8r50tq0/Sorochintsy_Fair.docx

If anyone who knows French would care to point out any mistranslations, or if anyone who knows Russian would care to point out where the French (and my English) are far from the original, then I would be very grateful.

SymphonicAddict

Boris Godunov - Symphonic synthesis. It's my first listen from this CD. A pleasurable music, beautifully memorable, glorious. Mussorgsky has been a blind spot for me, I think it happens because other composers/musicians have orchestrated his works. In any case, this orchestration by Stokowski is marvelous.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on September 12, 2017, 07:07:58 PM

Boris Godunov - Symphonic synthesis. It's my first listen from this CD. A pleasurable music, beautifully memorable, glorious. Mussorgsky has been a blind spot for me, I think it happens because other composers/musicians have orchestrated his works. In any case, this orchestration by Stokowski is marvelous.

Hi, S.A., I haven't heard that particular recording, but if you enjoy Stokowski's version, and are looking for another recording, I recommend this one by Cleveland/Oliver Knussen.

[asin]B0000YWFMM[/asin]

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 12, 2017, 07:58:08 PM
Hi, S.A., I haven't heard that particular recording, but if you enjoy Stokowski's version, and are looking for another recording, I recommend this one by Cleveland/Oliver Knussen.

[asin]B0000YWFMM[/asin]

Thanks for the recommendation TheGSMoeller! I'll keep it in mind. In fact, I'd like to listen to the complete opera. I'm not a big opera fan, but this work seems to deserve it.

vandermolen

Both of those Stokowski CDs are excellent. I know it's cheating but I love the 'Boris Godunov: Symphonic Synthesis'; however it is also, together with Vaughan Williams's 'Pilgrim's Progress' one of the only operas that I listen to and greatly admire.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on September 06, 2017, 12:06:47 AM
I searched for an English libretto without success, but I did find a French libretto which I have now translated. So here are the French and English alongside each other:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yrqdsjwo8r50tq0/Sorochintsy_Fair.docx

If anyone who knows French would care to point out any mistranslations, or if anyone who knows Russian would care to point out where the French (and my English) are far from the original, then I would be very grateful.

I got a couple of suggestions from readers, and from readers on another forum. I have now placed a revised version as a download from the Wikipedia page on the opera.

Scion7

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

relm1

I arranged this masterpiece too!  And performed it.  There are over 600 arrangements of this great, great work!  It lends itself very well to arranging.

https://clyp.it/poon3wy3

Scion7

^ relm1, what is this??  something you did on a computer? 
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

relm1

Quote from: Scion7 on October 11, 2020, 05:46:09 PM
^ relm1, what is this??  something you did on a computer?

No, that was something from the performance.  I played bass trombone in the orchestra and recorded it too!  I wish I could remember where that list of all the arrangements were but there might even be 700 by now.  It's a great, great work to arrange.  Of course Ravel's casts a very big shadow but I liked Ashkenazy's too which restores a few more promenades missed in Ravel's version plus is more Russian, less French for example.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: relm1 on October 12, 2020, 05:58:49 AM
No, that was something from the performance.  I played bass trombone in the orchestra and recorded it too!  I wish I could remember where that list of all the arrangements were but there might even be 700 by now.  It's a great, great work to arrange.  Of course Ravel's casts a very big shadow but I liked Ashkenazy's too which restores a few more promenades missed in Ravel's version plus is more Russian, less French for example.

I always think Ravel was a fairly improbable arranger for this most Russian of works!  I enjoy the "composite" version that Slatkin put together - so interesting to hear different arranger/composers juxtaposed againt each other;