New Here: Need Help for a Major Project

Started by robanthony, January 11, 2019, 11:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robanthony

Hello all,

I have just discovered this message board and registered earlier today. I really need help quickly for a project that is quite important to me.

For some background, I am a trained classical pianist, so my foundation is in the general classical repertoire, but it has been a VERY long time since I have been in that field, as I moved into working in pop, rock, soundtracks, etc. a while ago. I still love classical music of course. To make a very long story short, through many years of work and networking, I am not part of a production and songwriting team that will be working on a new single with a known hip hop artists and an up and coming new female pop vocalist. It is one of those crossover type songs which will have the verses rapped while the choruses featured a soaring female pop vocal line. Style wise, think "Love the Way you Lie," by Eminem and Rihanna.

The song I am writing for this (the chorus) is actually derived from part of a symphony sketched out long ago, but the melody is very singable, so I wrote lyrics to it. It is very dark and broody. For the production, I'd think it would be appropriate and unique to sample some old vinyl classical music....I am looking for a soaring string part....something we can use as a "hook" or riff as a bed against the vocals in the chorus. Unfortunately, I cannot legally provide any demos, however the progression is a simple repeating pattern of Cm, Ab, Bb, Cm.

With digital tools, we can move any sample up or down by about a step and a half, so it does not strictly need to be in Cm. Tempo can be adjusted as well.

The problem is I am having trouble finding the right snipped of strings/music to use for this. it does not seem to be a common progression in classical music. I have been searching, but wanted to open up the discussion to others who surely have a broader knowledge of the repertoire than I do.

So, any help you can provide me will be very gratefully appreciate. If you could suggest pieces I can look into....

Thank you for your time,

Rob Anthony
robpeteranthony@gmail.com