Your favorite orchestra names

Started by Brian, January 14, 2019, 06:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Do you prefer "Symphony Orchestra" or "Philharmonic Orchestra"?

What about various alternative names out there?

I like the simplicity and elegance of plain names like Minnesota Orchestra. I also like the rather romantic name of the old radio band "Symphony of the Air." Orchestra of the 18th Century is a cool, descriptive name.

Biffo

I have always liked the snappily named Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire (de Paris). 'de Paris seems optional.

kyjo

My favorite has to be the Grand Symphony Orchestra of the All-Union Radio and Television ;D
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Brian

Quote from: Biffo on January 14, 2019, 06:17:49 AM
I have always liked the snappily named Orchestre de la Société des Concerts du Conservatoire (de Paris). 'de Paris seems optional.
That one is such a pain to document in my listening log. I opt for "Paris Conservatoire Orch"  ;D

king ubu

Quote from: Brian on January 14, 2019, 06:09:21 AM
Do you prefer "Symphony Orchestra" or "Philharmonic Orchestra"?

You can have both combined, of course, the Philharmonic-Symphony Society of New York, Inc.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

André

Right now I'm listening to Schéhérazade (Rimsky's) played by the Borusan Istanbul Philharmonic Orchestra on the Onyx label.

It's named after its sponsor, the turkish Borusan conglomerate. I guess the name itself doesn't have another meaning.

French orchestras used to be named after their founder's name: Pasdeloup, Lamoureux, Colonne, Straram.

Brian

Quote from: king ubu on January 14, 2019, 07:12:26 AM
You can have both combined, of course, the Philharmonic-Symphony Society of New York, Inc.
or the Czech Chamber Philharmonic, Pardubiče

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

I think it is quaint that there are still orchestras around named after their idiosyncratic founder. For example, the Halle orchestra, and Orchestre Lamoureux, also known as Société des Nouveaux-Concerts.

Mandryka

Les gens qui parlent français et qui connaissent Le père noel et une ordure comprennent bien pourquoi j'adore le nom The Cluj Philharmonic.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Biffo on January 14, 2019, 06:17:49 AM

There's Orchestra dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia, but that can't compete with the Paris Conservatorie. On the other hand, Santa Cecilia still exists.

André

The Paris Conservatoire still exists. Its current director is composer Bruno Mantovani. I don't know about the Orchestre, though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatoire_de_Paris

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: André on January 14, 2019, 09:14:53 AM
The Paris Conservatoire still exists. Its current director is composer Bruno Mantovani. I don't know about the Orchestre, though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservatoire_de_Paris

I was referring to the orchestra, which was dissolved in 1967, although in some sense the Orchestre de Paris is it's successor.

Amazing that the French Government would dissolve an orchestra that had existed since 1828.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 14, 2019, 06:27:55 AM
My favorite has to be the Grand Symphony Orchestra of the All-Union Radio and Television ;D
+1

+ Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

I like it when orchestras are named after the hall they play in - Concertgebouw, Gewandhaus. Of course, the hall has to have an interesting name. I wouldn't want the CSO to rename itself the Orchestra Hall Orchestra, that would be stupid.

HIP orchestras have the most stylish names (Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique; Il Giardino Armonico; etc.).

It's a good thing the Albany Symphony Orchestra doesn't call itself Orchestra Albany, because that is the name of a street gang:

https://ganglifechicago.com/category/orchestra-albany/
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Others I like:

Sudwestfunkorchester Baden-Baden

USSR Symphony Orchestra

L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande

Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

Orquesta Filarmonica de Gran Canaria (Great CD of Walton's First Symphony).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique
Orchestra of the Age of the Enlightenment
Freiburger Barockorchester
Les Violons du Roy
L'Orchestra Haydn di Bolzano e Trento (Haydn-Orchester von Bozen und Trient)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

PerfectWagnerite

Oregon Symphony (no "Orchestra")
Academy of Ancient Music
Handel and Haydn Society
Concentus Musicus Wien

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Academy of Saint Martin-in-the-Field sounds so delightfully pastoral.

French orchestra names sound so sophisticated to an English speaker. To a French speaker I am sure they are oh so mundane.

Orchestre National de la Radiodiffusion Francaise,
Orchestre Philharmonique des Pays de Loire
Orchestre National du Capitole de Toulouse
Orchestre du Theatres des Champs-Elysees
La Chapelle Royale
Ensemble Musique Oblique

(forgive me for any transcription errors).

Brian

Quote from: Archaic Torso of Apollo on January 14, 2019, 09:53:19 AM
HIP orchestras have the most stylish names (Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique; Il Giardino Armonico; etc.).

Oooh, not to mention Gli Incogniti! Although I suppose they may be a chamber group?

They can't beat The Harmonious Society of Tickle-Fiddle Gentlemen though.