Favorite string trios

Started by DavidW, October 28, 2010, 05:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: George on October 29, 2010, 03:35:33 AM
Can you recommend a performance of it?

I have Kremerata on DG. Searing.

Schoenberg's Masterpiece, IMO.

Also, Roussel, Martinu, Hindemith (2 Great Ones!!), Francaix,...uh,....uh,... Reger, there's a Great cd on MDG with Fuchs/Reineke(??),...Taneyev,...

snyprrr

Quote from: petrArch on October 29, 2010, 05:09:18 AM
Quite a few worthwhile options: Scriarrino's Codex purpureus, Rihm's early second trio and his Musik für drei Streicher, Scelsi's Trio à cordes, Gottfried Michael-Koenig's 60 Blätter für Streichtrio, Lachenmann's Streichtrio, Harvey's String Trio, Haubenstock-Ramati's two string trios and Ferneyhough's two string trios.

I have the old Erato disc with Xenakis, Ibarrondo, Ton That (?), and some other Frenchie. Scelsi, check.

Rihm,... that's the Monster of the bunch, running to cd length. Very Expressionistic.

Gubaidulina.

And the Schnittke is one of his Best, IMO.

Brian

Quote from: snyprrr on October 29, 2010, 08:52:44 AMRoussel, Francaix,...uh,....uh,... Reger, there's a Great cd on MDG with Fuchs/Reineke(??),...Taneyev,...

Oooh, these sound interesting!

not edward

I think everything I'm going to mention already has been: Mozart K563, Webern, Schoenberg, Schnittke.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

The new erato

Taneyev's trios (available on Hyperion) are worth exploring.

Scarpia

A pity this one is OOP and unavailable used:

Must have sold poorly.

[Further investigation, Hyperion says it is OOP, www.amazon.co.uk and www.mdt.co.uk say it is available but I suspect that means that if you order it you will get a notice that it is out of print a week later.  www.amazon.com says it is unavailable.  However Berkshire has it (or they did as of an hour ago when I ordered it).  I have my fingers crossed that no one has beaten me to it.  As a last resort, Hyperion sells it as a flac download.]

snyprrr

String Trios:

Always the same pieces,... STs,... so mysterious, nobody seems to know, but then when they're all mentioned, it's still the same little group that it always was.

The ST lit, therefore, is nice and cozy, like a wintry evening in front of the fire. Like the Piano Quintet Thread, this location takes me to my happy place.

I recently heard of one by Aperghis that presents a piece 'in search of' a lead violin.

snyprrr

I guess my point is: "Favorite" String Trios is incorrect. Since the lit is so small, ALL STs must be considered 'favorite'! ;) 8)

Mandryka

Quote from: petrarch on October 29, 2010, 05:09:18 AM
Quite a few worthwhile options: Scriarrino's Codex purpureus, Rihm's early second trio and his Musik für drei Streicher, Scelsi's Trio à cordes, Gottfried Michael-Koenig's 60 Blätter für Streichtrio, Lachenmann's Streichtrio, Harvey's String Trio, Haubenstock-Ramati's two string trios and Ferneyhough's two string trios.

Koenig died on Thursday, I'm sorry to say. Play the trio in his honour!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Listening now in fact to G M König's 60 Blätter - I guess this is the string trio analogue of Ferneyhough's sonatas for string quartet.

Mandryka

Quote from: petrarch on October 29, 2010, 05:09:18 AMHaubenstock-Ramati's two string trios

Only the first has been recorded as far as I can see, is that right. Like the König trio and the Ferneyhough sonatas it sounds like a sequence of studies with no unifying form. NB it's nicknamed ricercari, in the  plural.

Symphonic Addict

Besides Mozart K. 563, the No. 3 by the Hungarian Laszlo Lajtha Transylvanian Nights. Now, this is hauntingly evocative. All the composer's craftsmanship and folk-influenced musicality in full display.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky