Your favorite orchestra names

Started by Brian, January 14, 2019, 06:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sterna

Quote from: geralmar on June 04, 2019, 09:14:21 PM

Symphony Orchestra of the Southwest German Radio Baden Baden

I believe a variation on the name was noted earlier.  I've always liked this name because it sounds so imposing.  It doesn't hurt that it was once conducted by Jascha Horenstein.

In German, it was Sinfonieorchester des Südwestfunks, Baden-Baden.
Somehow I dig anything with 'Baden-Baden' in it. It just sounds very attractive. :)

ritter

Quote from: Sterna on October 28, 2020, 04:41:59 AM
In German, it was Sinfonieorchester des Südwestfunks, Baden-Baden.
Somehow I dig anything with 'Baden-Baden' in it. It just sounds very attractive. :)
Indeed. And Baden-Baden, the town itself,  is quite something... :)

Later on, the orchestra became SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg. When they merged it later on with the Stuttgart band, they dropped the town names altogether, and now it's simply SWR Symphonieorchester (not as catchy as the previous names, I'm afraid).

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Brian

I believe there's still a "Saarbrucken-Kaiserslautern" radio orchestra which might have the new claim to longest name?

Brian

CPO has boxed up the complete H. Andriessen orchestral works and I can't help noticing a major change. The "Netherlands Symphony Orchestra" is now the "Phion Orchestra of Gelderland and Overijssel". Huh.

vandermolen

I rather like this one:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).