Your favorite orchestra names

Started by Brian, January 14, 2019, 06:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on January 15, 2019, 11:21:46 AM
Eindhoven relates to the Netherlands as Galați does to Romania - but with the historical centre mostly destroyed. I.e. not the only possible entry, nor a place where the far sweeter sounds of Low-Saxon are heard.  8) Anyhow: love German.  ;D

Excepting the fact that the historical center of Galați is mostly destroyed as well, the analogy is wrong, Galați lies in the historical province of Moldavia, where the pronunciation is notorious for making consonants sweet and soft and vowels sweeter and softer. :D

A better analogy would be Târgu Jiu (pronounce that!), in the historical province of Oltenia, where the pronunciation is harsher and hastier.  ;)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on January 15, 2019, 11:39:27 AM
The analogy is wrong. Galați lies in the historical province of Moldavia, where the pronunciation is notorious for making consonants sweet and soft and vowels sweeter and softer. :D
A better analogy would be Târgu Jiu (pronounce that!), in the historical province of Oltenia, where the pronunciation is harsher and hastier.  ;)
I was referring to the industrial scene, not exactly a cultural centre let alone marked by a specific pronunciation (because of the industrial immigrants of Eindhoven, there's hardly a  local dialect, though surrounded by the province of Brabant with its typical Southern variant of Dutch). Correct: I'd rather pronounce 'Târgu Jiu' the Northern way.   8)

Quote from: JBS on January 15, 2019, 10:53:45 AM
Orchestra Simfonica Bucuresti or
Orchestrele şi Corurile Radio or
ORCHESTRA FILARMONICII GEORGE ENESCU or
Filarmonica ,,Banatul" Timişoara
Think I heard three of them.  :D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

pjme

Quote from: Florestan on January 15, 2019, 10:26:55 AM
You call Italian language a tongue twister?  :o Then how about Symfonisch Blaasorkest "Amsterdamse Tramharmonie", Het Brabants Orkest or Koninklijk Filharmonisch Orkest van Vlaanderen;D

I do like "symphonic wind orchestras" even if their repertoire can be ..."uneven". I don't know the Amsterdam Tramharmonie but they must be a well respected ensemble. Do check their website:

https://tramharmonie.nl/

Het Brabants Orkest (est.1950) no longer exists. I heard them frequently in my youth when they performed in the region of Tilburg, Breda, Eindhoven, 's Hertogenbosch and provincial towns in Belgium (Turnhout).
In 2013 -due to drastic saving measures - it had to merge with het Limburgs Symfonie orkest. A new orchestra was formed , de Philharmonie Zuidnederland. 

https://www.philharmoniezuidnederland.nl/home/

My hometown orchestra is no longer called Koninklijk Filharmonisch Orkest van Vlaanderen (Royal philharmonic orchestra of Flanders).
It went through many names:

At the start, in 1955: De Philharmonie van Antwerpen
januari 1985: Filharmonisch Orkest van Vlaanderen
juli 1985: Koninklijk Filharmonisch Orkest van Vlaanderen
september 2002: Koninklijke Filharmonie van Vlaanderen - roepnaam (=short) "deFilharmonie" (no blank).
april 2017: Antwerp Symphony Orchestra

They're doing a great job - with Herreweghe and Elim Chan as conductors. Martyn Brabbins is often guest, as is Edo de Waart and Christian Lindberg.

http://www.antwerpsymphonyorchestra.be/

André

Quote from: pjme on January 15, 2019, 07:06:40 AM
Occasionally that orchestra does perform in public. I heard them in 2005 /Paris / Cité de la Musique :

Œuvres de Varèse, Jolivet et Messiaen par Yvonne Naef (mezzo-soprano), Chœur de l'Armée française, Orchestre du Conservatoire, Pierre Boulez (direction).

Varèse: Equatorial
Messiaen: Poèmes pour Mi
Jolivet: 5 danses rituelles

Memorable!

Great indeed !

vandermolen

Artur Rubinstein Philharmonic Orchestra
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Another fairly long-winded name -The State Symphony Orchestra of the USSR Ministry of Culture. I only have them in the Vaughan Williams symphony cycle conducted by Gennady Rozhdestvensky (a conductor whose name I have to double-check every time I type it).

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on January 16, 2019, 01:43:16 AM
Another fairly long-winded name -The State Symphony Orchestra of the USSR Ministry of Culture. I only have them in the Vaughan Williams symphony cycle conducted by Gennady Rozhdestvensky (a conductor whose name I have to double-check every time I type it).

Yes, I love those old soviet orchestral names, like Grand Symphony Orchestra of the USSR.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Biffo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 16, 2019, 02:51:34 AM
Yes, I love those old soviet orchestral names, like Grand Symphony Orchestra of the USSR.

A bit of a pain in the neck to type out when posting. The Sea Symphony from the RVW set also had The Choir of the Leningrad Music Society and The Choir of the Rimsky-Korsakov Muisc College - I think I just put 'and choirs'.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on January 16, 2019, 03:20:38 AM
A bit of a pain in the neck to type out when posting. The Sea Symphony from the RVW set also had The Choir of the Leningrad Music Society and The Choir of the Rimsky-Korsakov Muisc College - I think I just put 'and choirs'.
:)

vandermolen

My CD of Gliere's Cello Concerto is performed by the Russian Cinematographic SO, whose name I rather like.

André

I received some CDs today. One is by Sergeant Rock' s hometown band:

And another one is with... what ??

I checked the net and I found that Hyvinkää is a city of 46000 in southern Finland. Its Wiki entry makes no mention of an orchestra, but said orchestra does have a web site (with English translation) ! This is one of the 2 recordings they made.  More power to them !

pjme

I like this one:

The Japan Grand Self-Defence Force Central Band.

And what is more: they perform Koechlin!

https://www.youtube.com/v/TPxhDAeOEwo

ritter

Quote from: pjme on January 17, 2019, 01:49:30 AM
I like this one:

Another military band with a great name: Musiques des Équipages de la Flotte de Toulon.

And they've recorded Schmitt, Hindemith and Milhaud!

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on January 17, 2019, 01:49:30 AM
I like this one:

Possibly my favourite name so far!

pjme

Aha! The name is propably misspelled on the Koechlin/YT:

Not "grand" but "ground" ...and that makes more sense.

André

I wonder if they have a back band, a front band and lateral bands ?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: André on January 16, 2019, 04:34:13 PM
I received some CDs today. One is by Sergeant Rock' s hometown band:

That looks interesting.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Christo

Sometimes everybody seems happy nobody knows the band's name exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/v/1yHbAhFnfrA
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

NikF

Not a very good answer - or at least, not an exotic one - but I've always liked names that are of radio orchestras, so BBC Symphony Orchestra, NBC Symphony Orchestra, NDR etc simply because of the nostalgia aspect. The idea of sitting down in the evening and switching on the 'wireless' (allowing a few minutes for it to warm up, of course) appeals to me.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

pjme